|Season 6, Episode 109A|
|Original air date:||August 7, 2008|
|Written by:|| Aaron Springer|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Plankton's Regular"||"The Krabby Kronicle"|
SpongeBob is brushing Gary when he hears a strange noise. He goes outside to investigate only to find out that it's Squidward breathing. Squidward then tells SpongeBob that he will pay him five dollars if he gives him peace and quiet rest of the day. However, Squidward already gave SpongeBob five dollars to leave him alone yesterday. He gets annoyed, so Squidward begins walking away. He then finds out that SpongeBob is following him so he starts running and he jumps into his boat. However, he can't find the key and SpongeBob arrives at Squidward's boat. Squidward then becomes furious, only to find out that SpongeBob wanted to give him his keys. Squidward then drives away and crashes into a stop sign. He then gets pulled over by a police man, telling him that he needs to do boating school. Then the scene changes to Squidward walking up to Mrs. Puff's boating school and when he opens the door, he see's SpongeBob and then starts to cry. During class, Squidward is forced to sit next to SpongeBob. Then Mrs. Puff asks Squidward why he is enrolled in Boating School, so he tells everyone. Then Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob to illustrate his side of the story, but SpongeBob just draws on the chalkboard a picture with him and Squidward saying "SpongeBob And Squidward, Best Boating Buddies Forever". Then it is lunchtime and Squidward tries to avoid SpongeBob. He then decides to eat in the bathroom, where he gets beat up. Then he arrives back in class with SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff tells him that he has to drive with SpongeBob for a test. So they get inside a boat and SpongeBob is the driver. However, he drives out of control and ends up in a research lab. There, he, Squidward, and Mrs. Puff shrink and get washed down the drain. SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff end up in a water fountain back at Mrs. Puff's Boating School, while Squidward ends up in the bathroom and gets beat up again. Then the scene changes to everyone back in class. Mrs. Puff explains that everyone is going to do a test. But when SpongeBob tries to help him, Squidward snaps at him that they aren't "Boating Buddies" and he never wants help from him ever again. However, Squidward can't do the test because he can't pick up the pencil, so he asks for SpongeBob for help; when the young sponge reminds him of what he said, Squidward denies it, only for his voice to be recorded by another student. Finally, when Squidward admits that he and SpongeBob are "Boating Buddies", SpongeBob cheers. But time runs out and Squidward asks Mrs. Puff what to do. She then says that he needs to come back the next week. Then Squidward finds out that SpongeBob also failed the test and he has to come back the next week too.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: To SquarePants or Not To SquarePants?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 6, Volume 1
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 6th Season
- When SpongeBob was driving recklessly and nearly hit the old lady, it was the same lady seen in "Have You Seen This Snail?"
- This episode was supposed to air on August 8, but aired one day early on the 7th.
- Mrs. Puff says they all know why SpongeBob is in boating school, but it is unknown how he went to boating school in the first place. It is assumed that he just wanted to have the freedom to drive a boat and be on the road. There is much small evidence supporting this.
- This is the third episode where Squidward's vehicle is shown. The first was "Dying for Pie" the second was Boat Smarts and the next time will be "Love That Squid."
- When Squidward walked away from SpongeBob, Squidward had a newspaper in his hand, but in the next shot he doesn't. Also, Squidward doesn't like newspaper as shown in Can You Spare A Dime?, so there might a reason he held the newspaper.
- "The Four Seasons - Spring" by Vivaldi is playing while SpongeBob is drawing on the board.
- At the end of the episode SpongeBob says he has never passed the test exam. In "Boating School," he says he always passes it but can never do the driving part, suggesting that this episode takes place before "Boating School" or it is a different test.
- In the Netherlands this episode finally aired on October 19, 2009. It was paired with Squid's Visit so since that happened To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants aired with Krabby Kronicle.
- In German this episode is called "Bootsbrüder", which means "Boating Brothers".
- The episode was set to be aired with "Grooming Gary" Instead, it aired with "Krabby Kronicle".
- Squidward says he has impeccable boat smarts, but he lost them earlier in Slide Whistle Stooges when he destroyed the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab.
- In Summer Job, Mrs. Puff works at the Krusty Krab and in this episode Squidward is in Boating School.
- The outline of the newspaper was blue but when Squidward snatched it from the table, the outline was gray.
- The closeup of SpongeBob breathing heavily while Squidward writes what happened on the blackboard is exactly the same scene where SpongeBob breathes heavily to Squidward as he sits beside him.
- Squidward is seen holding a newspaper but in "Can You Spare a Dime?", he claims he is allergic to newsprint.
- The info for this episode on TV guides say Squidward is caught speeding. However, he is not speeding. He just ran over a stop sign.
- Squidward says he has no criminal record prior to getting the ticket. However, he got arrested in Good Ol' Whatshisname (though, this episode could've taken place before that episode).
- When SpongeBob drives through the costume shop, Mrs Puff is dressed like Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th.
- When Squidward sits down to take the final exam, he is not holding a pencil nor is there a pencil on his desk, but in the next shot, he has a pencil laying on his desk.
- In the scene were Squidward is talking to SpongeBob about him needing his help Debbie Rechid was tottally pink and the next scene she was purple
- When Squidward says "I dont care what Mr. Krabs says", when SpongeBob leans backwards slightly, SpongeBob's belt turns tan. This is likely an animation error and is often pointed out by fans.
- When SpongeBob says "chocolate rain", it is a reference to the Tay Zonday song "Chocolate Rain", which is one of the most famous songs on YouTube.
- When Squidward is hurt by that big guy those two times, he walks in on the right, but the door to enter and exit is on the left.
- After Squidward is done with his illustration, he doesn't erase the board when he is finished, and when SpongeBob is drawing, there is no trace of Squidward's drawing left, and was never seen picking up an eraser.
- In this episode, SpongeBob's cheeks appear bigger (or his mouth was smaller) than usual.
- When SpongeBob draws the curl on the line, it disappears when the camera zooms out to the entire chalkboard.