"Boating School" is the second segment of the fourth episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
It is the day of SpongeBob's driving exam at Mrs. Puff's Boating School, and he is very excited. If he passes it, he will get his license. Once there, he throws his unicycle away in the trash, assuming he will pass. Having taken the oral exam thirty-eight times previously, SpongeBob is able to answer the questions before they are even asked. However, upon reaching the driving portion of the exam, he panics and quickly crashes into a lighthouse, causing Mrs. Puff's body to inflate. Later that night, he complains about his failure to Gary, who asks SpongeBob to go for a walk, which he declines. Patrick is then heard talking to him from a walkie-talkie under his bed covers. He asks SpongeBob to head to his closet for a "surprise". It is Patrick wearing his clothes and calling himself "Patrick SquarePants". SpongeBob is too depressed to laugh, and explains his problem to Patrick and mentions that he needs someone to help him think straight during the exam. Patrick Star quickly devises a plan. He puts a walkie-talkie inside SpongeBob's head so that he can talk SpongeBob through the test, hiding the antenna with a cowboy hat. The next day, SpongeBob goes back to take the test again. When asked to start the boat, he initially panics, but Patrick's instructions keep him calm. This is followed by a video montage of SpongeBob acing the exam, interspersed with shots of Patrick eating SpongeBob's food and reading his diary while helping him. Mrs. Puff is floored by his sudden improvement and jokingly suggests that SpongeBob's success is due to an antenna under his hat through which "some guy miles away from here is giving you (him) all the answers." SpongeBob (and Patrick) finds this hilarious, until Mrs. Puff concludes, "But that would be cheating!" Upon realizing that he has been cheating, SpongeBob goes into hysterics, making Patrick realize that his method is bad, forcing Patrick to flee to his house, and driving wildly all over the course and sobbing while Mrs. Puff, in a panic, tries desperately to stop him but SpongeBob refuses to listen and crashes the boat and fails the test again, and the inflated Mrs. Puff is taken to the hospital. As he leaves boating school, he finds Gary riding his unicycle. SpongeBob rides off on it, with Gary atop his head, saying "Let's go surprise someone at the hospital!" thus ending the episode.
Home video releases Edit
- The Sponge Who Could Fly
- Nickelodeon DVD Sampler
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Lost at Sea
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- When SpongeBob comes out of the boating school at the end of the episode, he says Gary found his bike; however, it is a unicycle.
- SpongeBob's unicycle would appear again in "Choir Boys".
- This is the first episode to feature the running gag of someone yelling out "My leg!" (Fred Rechid), when SpongeBob crashes on the first attempt.
- In this episode, SpongeBob's foghorn alarm clock has a different tone.
- This is the first episode that implies that Patrick is an expert at boating, the second being "Driven to Tears".
- When SpongeBob was telling Patrick he failed, Gary can be heard saying "Meow"(That's 38 times). But he can't be seen nor in the room (SpongeBob's closet).
- When SpongeBob cries out that he is cheating, Patrick runs back into his rock. When this happens, you can see that he has his regular shorts on, and not SpongeBob's pants that he was wearing previously.
- This is the first Boating School episode.The next will be Hall Monitor.
- This is Mrs. Puff's first appearance.
- This is the first episode to have a montage (SpongeBob driving successfully).
- When SpongeBob crashed the first time (floor it) he did not put the boat into drive.
- When SpongeBob wears a hat to hide an antennae, it resembles the Arby's logo.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob is seen partially barefoot when his big toe comes out of his shoe.
- A clip from this episode was used in a Dodge commercial.