|Season 2, Episode 6|
|Airdate:||November 16, 2000|
|Written by:|| Jay Lender|
|Directed by:|| Peter Jackson|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Big Pink Loser"||"Dying for Pie"|
"Bubble Buddy" is the 6th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
The narrator explains that every day was a holiday for SpongeBob, even if he had to make one up. SpongeBob then wakes up with a Viking costume on, and exclaims "Hey everybody! It's Leif Erikson Day! Hinga dinga durgen!". He then goes outside to play with his friends, but finds notes at the houses of Patrick, Sandy and Squidward notifying that they can't play. He decides to make a new buddy, and after several failed attempts, creates Bubble Buddy, a human-shaped humanoid bubble. The two go to the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob orders everything on the menu for Bubble Buddy. However, SpongeBob explains several specifications that Squidward has to adhere to in order to satisfy Bubble Buddy's alleged preferences (lactose intolerance, etc.), making him remake the patties several times. After the meal, Bubble Buddy pays in "bubble-money" (which pops) and leaves a tip of "bubble coins" which also pops, angering Squidward and Mr. Krabs.
SpongeBob and Bubble Buddy then go to the Goo Lagoon, where they continue to cause trouble, even resulting in the demise of one fish. Eventually, the townspeople become fed up with Bubble Buddy and begin to riot, even tipping over the lifeguard tower. Squidward steps in and blames SpongeBob and the bubble he has created, causing the mob to direct their efforts towards popping Bubble Buddy. They surround SpongeBob and Bubble Buddy, brandishing sewing needles. SpongeBob tries to inform the crowd that Bubble Buddy is uncomfortable around their pointy needles, but they tell him that they are done with Bubble Buddy. SpongeBob tries to escape by inflating Bubble Buddy, but he flies weakly back into the crowd's grasp. Spongebob says Bubble Buddy is his special friend and tries to ask if they ever had a special friend. Although some do reveal that they do have a special friend, it isn't enough to change their mind. So they throw SpongeBob off camera. Squidward begins to stab Bubble Buddy, but he suddenly comes to life and catches the needle before it reaches him, much to the shock of Squidward and the other crowd members. Bubble Buddy then tells SpongeBob that "things are getting a little weird around here", and leaves in a bubble taxi, wishing SpongeBob a happy Leif Erikson Day. Everyone appears to be ok with Bubble Buddy leaving Bikini Bottom except Squidward who is still shocked at what happened. The rest of the crowd then leave to go on with their regular lives and SpongeBob happily cries that people grow up so fast before leaving in a flurry of bubbles. All but one of them pop, and Squidward greets it.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 2nd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- The music heard during the episode's title card and opening credits was later used as theme music for the "Nicktoons Summer Beachhouse", which ran from the summer of 2002 and 2003.
- When the episode first aired, it began as "Big Pink Loser" before changing to "Bubble Buddy" a few seconds into the episode. This was fixed in later airings.
- When Bubble Buddy was in the bathroom, hundreds of fish were in line waiting. But when Spongebob and Bubble Buddy leave, only about ten fish are in line.
- In the middle of the episode, Scooter drowned in high tide. However, this is impossible because they are already at the bottom of the ocean.
- During the scene with the menu, the prices are gone.
- If half of a bubble gets trapped in a door the bubble will just pop , but when Bubble Buddy's legs gets trapped in the Krusty Krab's doors he doesn't pop!
- Squidward's Krusty Krab hat disappears when looking at Spongebob's bubble buddy. However, it appears again when Squidward taking orders.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|