SpongeBob and Patrick blow bubbles, and they soon get bored. SpongeBob suggests they "spice up" their bubble blowing. Patrick is struck with an idea, and takes out a bottle of hot sauce. He dunks his wand into the bottle and blows a spicy bubble into SpongeBob's eyes. SpongeBob screams as his eyes glow red and disintegrate, then grow back. Then he blows a spicy bubble into Patrick's eyes, doing the same thing to him. Patrick wonders if hot sauce is bad for their eyes. Then they said "Nah," and they burn each other's eyes repeatedly. Meanwhile, Squidward is clipping his likeness into a bonsai. Just as he's about to clip off a straggler leaf, they scream, and he lops off the entire head. The beheaded bonsai requests that Squidward avenge it. Squidward angrily yells at them out the window, but SpongeBob blows a big spicy bubble and it popped next to him, burning him to ashes.
SpongeBob and Patrick go to Sandy's treedome, where she is outside fixing an airtank. They tell her about their new discovery, with Patrick convinced he's a genius for his new idea, even thinking he's smarter than Sandy. She tells them she's busy fixing a clog in the airtank. Patrick suggests she breathes water like a "smart person", and she explains land creatures need air. Patrick simply dismisses her as stupid. SpongeBob tries to help clear the blockage by blowing spicy bubbles onto the airtank, but it melts. Water rushes into the treedome, filling it completely. Sandy only has a little bit of air left in her suit, so she goes to her submarine which has enough air to go to the surface and replenish the air supply for her treedome. However, SpongeBob opens the door and water rushes in. Sandy tasks SpongeBob with driving the submarine to the surface, as the low amount of air is making her woozy. As they make their way to the surface, the lack of air in Sandy's suit causes her to act crazy and doing crazy things such as licking Patrick. When they reach the top, a delirious Sandy suddenly gets a craving for a Krabby Patty and drives the submarine through the roof of The Krusty Krab. Her suit's air supply is finally depleted and she removes her helmet. She takes a patron's Krabby Patty and eats it.
SpongeBob and Patrick try to help Sandy get air, and they notice air bubbles from the submarine on the ceiling. SpongeBob uses a line of straws to reach them. Patrick sucks them in, then blows into Sandy's mouth. SpongeBob suggests Mr. Krabs might have air in him, telling him Squidward says he's "full of hot air" (which Squidward nervously denies). Mr. Krabs says he indeed has an air bubble or two and pulls in his eyestalks so Sandy can breathe them in. Pearl comes in and SpongeBob suggests she could help give air to Sandy. Pearl agrees, saying "I guess we mammals gotta stick together." Sandy puts her mouth over Pearl's blowhole, and Pearl exhales, inflating her like a balloon. SpongeBob figures he can go to the surface and fill a bubble with air. Using an oxygen tank, he rockets to the surface, creates a giant air-filled bubble, and puts it into the treedome.
Sandy wakes up in the treedome with SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob explains that he saved her with bubbles and she remembers that it was bubbles which caused all the trouble in the first place. Sandy tells them not to blow bubbles around her treedome anymore, but it turns out SpongeBob already blew one giant bubble around the treedome, which lifts it away.
- ? - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
- Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob, Patrick blowing hot sauce bubbles]
- ? [Squidward's bonsai portrait]
- Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob and Patrick scream]
- ? - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward cries]
- Death Clock E - Dick de Benedictis [bonsai talks to Squidward]
- ? ["Avenge me!"]
- ? ["SpongeBob!!!..."]
- Croc Bait - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick still blowing bubbles]
- Comic Capers B - Charlie Brissette, Norman Mamey [giant hot sauce bubble]
- ? - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward disintegrates]
- Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob, Patrick go to Sandy's treedome]
- Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phillip Green [air lines melt]
- ? - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oops."/submarine fills with water]
- ? ["I'm far too dizzy already."]
- Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob driving the submarine]
- Dramatic Bridge 1 - Phillip Green [Sandy is losing it]
- Chasing Dragons - Assaf Rinde [Sandy drives the submarine to the Krusty Krab]
- Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Sandy runs out of air]
- ? ["Well, okay."]
- Excited Chase 1 - Phillip Green [air bubbles on ceiling]
- Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Sandy turning blue]
- Excited Chase 1 - Phillip Green [Patrick sucking air bubbles]
- Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["I say what?"]
- ? - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Pearl enters]
- ? [SpongeBob gets an idea]
- Fantasy Caper 2 - Paul Lawler ["I'm going to the surface to get some air."]
- Tympup A - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["An oxygen tank?!"]
- ? - Nicolas Carr ["An oxygen tank?!"]
- Beyond the Galaxy - Larry Hochman [SpongeBob blows a giant bubble on the surface]
- ? - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Welcome back, Sandy."]
Home video releasesEdit
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob on Tour
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 8th Season
- This title card is the needle stack in Pre-Hibernation Week.
- This is the fifth time something gets into a character's eyes and burns them. The previous four times were Dennis with bubble solution in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, Mr. Krabs with salt in "Krab Borg", SpongeBob with bubble solution in "Krabby Land", and SpongeBob with mustard bits in "Home Sweet Rubble".
- This is another instance in which Sandy is treated like an idiot.
- Despite Squidward calling his trimmed plant a bonsai, it is in fact a topiary. A bonsai is a miniaturized tree, while a topiary is a shrub, bush, or tree trimmed in a certain shape (in this case, Squidward's head).
- This is the only time Sandy needed more than just an air helmet to breathe.
- Ironically, SpongeBob could have simply used the oxygen tank to help Sandy instead of going through the trouble of making air bubbles at the surface.
- Or in this case, he should had said Helium.
- It was an intentional joke since Patrick seems to find a hole in this strategy but then remarks that it's a great idea.
- For some reason, Mediacom and other TV services lists this episode as Bubble Trouble.
- The title card has needles on it although there are no needles in this episode,the main idea of this episode is Sandy losing oxygen, not bubbles.
- In the end, SpongeBob told Sandy that a big bubble helped Sandy. Sandy said "It was bubbles that caused all this is the first place." The spicy bubbles caused all this. Normal bubbles wouldn't destroyed the air tank.
- Sandy eats Frank's patty and SpongeBob causes it to spit it out onto Mr. Krabs nose, but later Frank is eating a Krabby Patty. It is unknown how he got another one.
- The bubble Patrick takes to Sandy's treedome goes inside, but when Sandy is revived, the bubble appears on the outside.