"Can You Spare a Dime?" is the second segment of the 47th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
When Mr. Krabs' first dime goes missing, he accuses Squidward of stealing it. After a heated argument with his boss, Squidward quits his job. SpongeBob meets Squidward outside of the restaurant insisting that if Squidward ever needs anything, he can seek help from him.
Time passes and SpongeBob encounters Squidward again. Squidward has become a beggar, and is now homeless, living in a cardboard box. SpongeBob takes Squidward into his own home in order to nurse him until he can look for a new job. That very night, Squidward keeps on calling SpongeBob for various reasons each time, which ends with SpongeBob falling down the stairs. Gary tries to tell SpongeBob that Squidward is taking advantage of him, but SpongeBob is in denial. Many months later, Squidward has become completely dependent upon SpongeBob, turning him into a manservant of many sorts (he is even forced to wear a maids outfit). SpongeBob is finally beginning to lose his patience when time cards fly so much that the old narrator got tired of waiting so long and they had to hire a new one. SpongeBob conveys several hints to Squidward in order to push him towards finding work (for example, when serving Squidward a bowl of alphabet soup, SpongeBob arranges the letters to read "GET A JOB").
These hints are of no use, so when SpongeBob tries to make it as simple as he can by actually talking and not using hints, and Squidward still doesn't notice, SpongeBob actually takes the bed Squidward is lying on, runs with it through the upstairs wall, and tries to convince Mr. Krabs to give Squidward his old job back. Mr. Krabs refuses, even after SpongeBob offers him more than just one dime, SpongeBob gets extremely angry and begins to strangle and shake Mr. Krabs until he finds that his first dime (a large coin-shaped rock; Mr. Krabs explains that he has "been in business for a long time") was in his pocket. He restores Squidward's position, but then claims that it was Squidward who placed the dime in his pocket, beginning a new dispute. SpongeBob is shown putting on his maid outfit while the two are still arguing.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge for Hire
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge for Hire
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 3rd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- The episode name comes from the 1930s song "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?".
- In the puppet show in the TV was on, the green shirtless puppet's mouth changed to an open mouth, and then back to a closed mouth when the camera view was changed.
- This is one of the rare times when SpongeBob had expressed true anger at Mr. Krabs, as he did that by calling him a cheapskate and even grabbing him by the neck and choking him. In a deleted edit that was never released, SpongeBob choked Mr. Krabs until his eyes turned bloodshot red.
- This is the first time Squidward is not living at home. This happened again in "Giant Squidward", when he became a giant.
- SpongeBob's maid outfit exposed the back part of his underwear.
- The New Narrator is voiced by Dee Bradley Baker, who provides the voice of Squilliam Fancyson and many other characters on the show.
- Squidward becomes obsessive-compulsive, as seen with his obsession over the number of seeds in the lemon.
- Interestingly, Idiot Box aired one week before this episode did, and both episodes involve Squidward and a large box: In Idiot Box, SpongeBob and Patrick buy a new TV set just so they could play with the box it came in, and Squidward eventually goes inside to play with it. This episode, Squidward ends up living in a box after he loses his home.
- This episode might have been the inspiration for a disturbing picture on the Internet. Squidward is laying in SpongeBob's bed, SpongeBob is wearing his "uniform", sitting on Squidward, and Patrick stands at the doorway with his jaw dropped.
- Odd that Mr. Krabs's first dime resembles "cavemen currency" as he states he has been in the business a long time. However, in the much later episode Friend or Foe, Mr. Krabs sold his first Krabby Patty and received modern money.
- He maybe was taking the 'first dime' thing literally if it was a very first dime or so.
- When SpongeBob was delivering lemonade to Squidward, there was a picture of his pineapple and what it seems to be a portrait of Squidward.
- When Mr Krabs checked his register, he mentioned "apple sauce", which is not even kept in the register. It's likely a mnemonic device, in which words are used to help him remember how to count his money.
- SpongeBob could be sued or arrested for serious assault.
- Squidward has no fingers, but when he squeezed Mr Krab's eyes, it left a pattern like a human hand had squeezed them.
- After Squidward claimed that he ate his paintings, we see one of them in his stomach. However, in the next scene, his body is back to regular.
- SpongeBob was able to strangle Mr. Krabs and choke him out of rage, but Mr. Krabs has a shell, so SpongeBob shouldn't have been able to choke him.
- Mr. Krabs says he keeps his special dime at the back of the register, though it cannot fit in the register, due to its size.
- Squidward says there's three seeds in the lemon, but when it has a close-up shot of it, it appears to have two seeds.
- When Mr. Krabs asks if Squidward's willing to swear "on a stack of Interpretive Dance Quarterlies", it's a reference to "swearing on a stack of Bibles", which means to be completely honest and tell the whole truth.
- When SpongeBob finished polishing Squidward's bald head, the holes in Squidward's head were missing, but they re-appeared when a back view of his head was shown.
- SpongeBob claimed Squidward to have green skin, when however his skin is actually light blue.
- When SpongeBob goes to get Squidward's soup, he is wearing the maid suit, but when he comes back, he is wearing his normal clothes.
- Squidward says he is allergic to newsprint, but he has been seen reading the paper in other episodes. he may have been taking allergy medicine in the other episodes or he might have delevoped the allergy later in life. Although it could have just been an exscuse for him to not read the Job ads.
- Squidward says he can't eat anything with an odd number because the lemon had three seeds in it.
- When SpongeBob cracked from anger and grabbed Mr. Krabs's neck right above his shirt so he can strangle him as revenge, it is shown that his two thumbs on each hand had penetrated right through Mr. Krab's neck.
- After Squidward threw the soup, the blanket was pink.
- The TV had a background, but when it showed SpongeBob, there was no background
- Error: The boat disappeared while Mr. Krabs and Squidward were shaking hands.