|Created by:|| Bill Burnett |
|Executive producer(s):|| Bill Burnett |
|Starring:|| E.G. Daily |
|Country of origin:|| United States |
|# of seasons:||4|
|# of episodes:||40|
|Running time:||30 minutes|
|Original run:|| July 17, 1998 -|
June 29, 2000
(Oh Yeah! Cartoons)
March 22, 2002 - August 23, 2008
ChalkZone is an animated television series, produced by Frederator Studios for the Nickelodeon cable channel. The series is very reminiscent of the 1974 British cartoon Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, which was shown of Nickelodeon as a part of Pinwheel in the 1980s. It was originally featured on Oh Yeah! Cartoons, and is one of the three spin-offs of the show. The other two are The Fairly OddParents and My Life as a Teenage Robot.
ChalkZone aired from March 22, 2002, to August 23, 2008, airing 40 episodes over four seasons. A soundtrack album, titled In The Zone had also been released. The last episode that aired on a regular schedule was "The Crush/Gift of Good Intentions/Snapshots 2: Wild ChalkZone!/Go Pop" on June 22, 2005. The show went on hiatus from then until June 4, 2008. The remaining episodes aired on Nick between June 4 to August 23, 2008. It then went on hiatus again and the last two episodes ended up being aired in November 2009. Reruns aired on NickToons from the channel's debut until October 2013. The series began airing re-runs on The Splat on November 12, 2016.
The main character, an elementary school 5th-grade student named Rudy Tabootie (Elizabeth Daily), has been gifted with a magically endowed piece of chalk that allows access to the ChalkZone, an alternate dimension where everything and everyone that's ever been drawn in chalk and erased takes form as the living and/or tangible. The show concentrates on the adventures of Rudy, sidekick Snap (Candi Milo), and classmate Penny Sanchez (Hynden Walch) within the zone.
- → Main article: List of ChalkZone episodes
- → Main article: List of ChalkZone characters
- Rudolph Bartholomew "Rudy" Tabootie (E.G. Daily) - The shy artist whom the show stars.
- Snap (Candi Milo) - Rudy's ChalkZone pal, based on a comic strip character he's created.
- Penelope Victoria "Penny" Sanchez (Hynden Walch) - Rudy's geeky classmate whom he has a secret crush on
- Reginald "Reggie" Bullnerd (Candi Milo) - The school bully.
- Joseph Walter "Joe" Tabootie (Jess Harnell) - Rudy's father, who runs a meat shop.
- Mildred Trish "Millie" Tabootie (Miriam Flynn) - Rudy's mother.
- Horace T. Wilter (Robert Cait) - Rudy's cartoon-hating school teacher.
- Biclops (Rodger Bumpass) - The guardian of the Magic Chalk Mines; has one eye on top of the other.
- Blocky (Candi Milo) - A childlike drawing Rudy drew early on.
- Queen Rapsheeba (Russi Taylor) - ChalkZone's hot rap artist whom Snap has a crush on.
- Spy Fly - A chalk-fly with a camera attached to her head.
- Skrawl (Jim Cummings) - A villainous (and strange-looking) chalk-being who is constantly out to "get" Rudy.
- The Beanie Boys - Skrawl's flying, singing henchmen.
- The Craniacs - A group of robots looking for futuristic inventions, each one smarter than the last.
Home video releases
The episode "Future Zone" was released on the Nickstravaganza! VHS. Three episodes ("Gift Adrift", "French Fry Falls", and "Eschucha Mi Corazon") were released for the Nickstravaganza! 2 DVD (only "French Fry Falls" was included on the VHS). The Christmas episode, "When Santas Collide", was featured on the 2006 DVD Nick Picks Holiday. A Complete Series DVD set for ChalkZone was finally released through Amazon.com's CreateSpace manufacture-on-demand program on October 13, 2014; despite the title, however, it is missing the episode "The Smooch".
ChalkZone has been nominated for numerous Awards including two Annie Awards a Humantas, and the Imagen award.
- Counting its pilot on Oh Yeah! Cartoons and excluding Pinwheel, it is the second longest running show that has aired its series finale, running at 10 years, only to be behind Rugrats.