|"Chum Bucket Supreme"|
|Season 6, Episode 122A|
|Original air date:||July 19, 2009|
|Written by:|| Sean Charmat|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Shell Shocked"||"Single Cell Anniversary"|
The episode starts out when two customers park at the Chum Bucket. Plankton thinks they want to eat there, but they were parked there because they couldn't find parking at the Krusty Krab. Karen then suggests that Plankton should advertise his product. Plankton then hangs a sign that says CHUM IS METABOLIC FUEL! Patrick comes along and tries to read the sign, but his head starts smoking from the strain of trying to understand what these new words are. After his head is put out, Patrick then rearranges the letters so the sign reads CHUM IS FUM! The new slogan starts to attract customers. Plankton hires Patrick as his slogan manager. Meanwhile back at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs believes Plankton has stolen the secret formula, and comes up with a plan to steal the formula back. Plankton sees through their disguise and they realize that it was the slogan that brought in the customers, despite the fact the chum tastes awful. (To combat the disgusting taste of the chum, the customers simply say Chum Is Fum over and over.) Then Plankton goes to Patrick to check on how his new assignment to come up with new slogan ideas is going. However, all Patrick does is write Chum is Fum in a thousand different ways. Plankton then gets mad at Patrick, but cools down because Patrick's slogan is still attracting customers. A few days later, people are getting bored of the slogan, so Plankton and Patrick hold a board meeting. Patrick comes up with a new slogan three days later, changing it to FUM IS CHUM. This brings back Plankton's customers, much to the chagrin of Mr. Krabs. Business is so large Plankton gets into the restaurant magazines and even a hockey team shows up to eat. Patrick then decides the resign from his position as advertising director because he is "burnt out." (There is literally a hole burned into the back of his head.) Plankton protests, but then bluffs to make Patrick believe that he is disposable, and not necessarily to keep customers eating at the Chum Bucket. During his rant, Plankton accidentally insults his customers over the intercom that he had installed by the cash register earlier to taunt Mr. Krabs. His customers hear him calling them "bufoons, morons, the dumbest of the dumb" among other things, which causes all his customers to abandon their chum in anger. Plankton then gets beaten up by the hockey team. At the end, everyone sees Patrick finishing a sign that says the Krusty Krab's new slogan, KRABBY PATTIES ARE FUM! and everyone returns to the Krusty Krab.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Triton's Revenge
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 6, Volume 2
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 6th Season
- Plankton claims he has never met Patrick but in other episodes before this one he has met him and even worked for him. Plankton could've forgotten that Patrick worked for him.
- A game based on the episode can be played at SpongeBob.com. Chum is Fum is based on the customers eating the Chum Stick.
- The slogan "Chum is Fum" is once again seen in the episode SpongeBob's Last Stand.
- Oddly, Karen wears a hairnet even though she doesn't have any hair.
- This is one of the few times where The Chum Bucket starts to attract customers and Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob try to steal them back. The other times were in "Greasy Buffoons" and "Plankton's Regular".
- When Mr. Krabs looks out from his office there are only two customers. But when he says they have a situation to SpongeBob, there are no customers at the tables.
- Frank has a red shirt when he approaches the counter after the Chum Bucket has a new slogan. The next shot when it zooms to the register, his shirt is blue.
- When the hockey players first heard Plankton talking about his customers in a bad way, there were five of them. However, when they were about to attack Plankton with their hockey sticks, there were only four of them.
- When Patrick was first seen putting up the sign for the Krusty Krab, the hole in the back of his head wasn't seen. When Patrick was seen for the last time, the hole is now on at the back of his head.
- When Plankton was stomping on the ripped paper in anger, his head was still messed up. However, in the next shot when Plankton was yelling on how he's tired of the Krusty Krab stealing his customers, his head was suddenly fixed.
- When Plankton was going through the Box of Letters, the front door to the Chum Bucket was missing.
- The path to the Chum Bucket seems longer than usual in this episode.