|Season 3, Episode 45B|
|Original air date:||January 21, 2002|
|Written by:|| Aaron Springer|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV"||"Snowball Effect"|
"Doing Time" is the second segment of the 45th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob is yet again doing his driver's license exam and yet again fails. Only this time, he wrecks the city and drove off a cliff. The police-fish foolishly follow him and Mrs. Puff, and soon, they are falling down with them. They hit a truck full of punch, and it falls over, collapses and the punch pours out. Although SpongeBob is responsible, Mrs. Puff is sent to prison for gross neglence. She realizes that she'll never see SpongeBob while she's in prison, and starts to enjoy it.
Meanwhile, SpongeBob is depressed with Mrs Puff in Jail, and Patrick tells him it is his fault. The Twosome try breaking her out by going in jail. They try robbing the 1st Nautical Bank of Bikini Bottom, but the teller believes that he is trying to take out money. His savings account is checked, and there is nothing in his account. Ethier way, the plan fails.
They try dressing up as rocks to communicate with Mrs. Puff, and she calls the guards, but the guards don't believe Mrs. Puff when she tells them the story. That plan fails, and the "rocks" (SpongeBob and Patrick) are smashed buy a guard, costing a deposit.
They try again, and Mrs. Puff tries to rat them out, but the guards don't believe her. After ripping out the faces of the guards, believing that they are SpongeBob and Patrick, she is put in a room in supposedly a mental institute wing of the jail. She becomes paranoid after she thinks the room is made of sponge (SpongeBob). We then learn that it is all just a dream.
She wakes up screaming, and she's still in the car falling off the cliff, and realizes that it was a dream. However, she wakes up again and again, in a series of false awakenings. After too many of these, she just gives up and says, "Oh, forget it."
- Mrs. Puff's hat turns colors several times during the episode. When Mrs. Puff goes to lunch duty, her hat turns from red to blue, and one second later, it turns back to red. When the police are leading Mrs. Puff away to jail, her hat changes from blue to red to blue again.
- This is the third time Mrs. Puff is put in jail. The first time was in Hall Monitor, and the second time was in No Free Rides. This is probably what is mentioned when Mrs. Puff says, "You can get through this without losing your sanity! Ugh. That's a road we don't want to go down again.".
- When the police chase Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob SquarePants, it is a parody of the infamous O.J. Simpson chase back in 1994.
- In Mrs. Puff's jail cell at the beginning of the episode, there is a single bed, but later it is a bunk bed.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are inside the pot of chili, they appear to be much smaller compared to Mrs. Puff.
- The surrealism of this episode owes much to the films of David Lynch.
- During Mrs. Puff's "Dream" the boat crashes into the juice tank but when it falls down there were only police boats stuck into the tank.
- When Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob crash into the fruit punch truck, it's similar to "Driven to Tears" when after SpongeBob and Patrick fall from the sky and the police surrounding them.
- Mrs. Puff's hat turns blue when she says "It must be the heat". Her hat turns black when she drinks the "crystal clear" water.
- When SpongeBob crashes into the cherry juice truck for the second time, the boat he was driving can be seen, but in the next shot, it is gone. Leaving how SponegBob and Mrs. Puff got into the truck unknown.
- The stuff that is damaged or hit by the punch flood:
- The Seniors (the nurse opens the window to show the world the new white clothes the seniors are wearing. The clothes are presumably ruined.)
- The clean Hall (the custodian is hit by the punch, wreaking his work, but he dosen't notice.)
- Memoirs (the senior's work, written in red ink is virtually destroyed by the red punch that makes his work unrecognizable.)
- When the third time Mrs.Puff was in the car it was seen that she was driving but Donna from the jail was driving after the close up.
- Tom has a female voice in this episode.
- The repeating time is similar to the Totally Spies episode "Deja Cruise", but everytime bad things happen it skips the rest of the day.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Doing Time. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|