|Season 8, Episode 154A|
|Original air date:||July 19, 2011|
|Written by:|| Aaron Springer|
|Directed by:||Paul Tibbitt|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"The Other Patty"||"The Hot Shot"|
"Drive Thru" is the first segment of the 154th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
The episode starts at the Krusty Krab when SpongeBob notices that Mr. Krabs is filling a hole in the wall with toothpaste. SpongeBob is curious and asks what flavor it is, but Mr. Krabs think he was talking about the hole. Suddenly, the toothpaste begins dripping and causes the hole to crack, making an even bigger hole in the wall.
A fish and his children come to the Krusty Krab, and when they see the hole in the parking lot, he thought it was a drive-thru and orders from the hole. This gives Mr. Krabs an idea to create a Krusty Krab drive thru. Squidward says "It'll cost you money!" But Mr. Krabs. says they'll build it for free. SpongeBob brings in some electronic equipment for the drive thru but Mr. Krabs just uses a simple menu written on napkins, a microphone made with tin cans, and a sign made from a noodle.
Soon, a customer orders from the drive thru but SpongeBob has trouble getting the food out of the window, and then the customer fines Mr. Krabs for his dry cleaning, but Mr. Krabs makes the hole bigger with a hammer. Later, Plankton drives by in his tiny car and tries to order a Krabby Patty with the secret formula (but no one sees him) and an old man runs him over. When Squidward replies to the old man's order, the old man thinks they're and he drives away after he thinks Squidward said they were closed.
Later, Pearl and her friends decide to do a prank and they play a prank on Squidward by screaming through a megaphone and ends up getting his ear replaced, making Mr. Krabs pay his bill and Squidward says they needed a real microphone and speaker, but Mr. Krabs says those things are too expensive. After that, Larry the Lobster shows up, accidentally breaking the drive-thru microphone with the side of his SUV. Squidward says Mr. Krabs needs to replace the microphone, but Mr. Krabs says "What do I look like I'm made out of tin cans? and Squidward replies yes. Mr. Krabs still bills Larry even though he has many tin cans. Then SpongeBob then has trouble getting his food up to the window of his SUV and drops it on his head, so Mr. Krabs hammers a second hole in the wall much higher than the first.
Mr. Krabs hears cars honking and sees a huge line through the entire town to go to the drive-thru. A police officer comes and fines Mr. Krabs for collapsing the traffic, and the officer asks for a Krabby Patty immediately. But then the mayor comes and isn't happy about all the cars, so Mr. Krabs solves this problem by breaking a hole for another drive-thru. Then, SpongeBob and Squidward desperately try to feed all the customers at both sides. Meanwhile, there is a car accident and Plankton sells Chum nuggets, but he gets ran over by the old man again.
SpongeBob and Squidward come but Mr. Krabs thinks they're angry customers, but then he realizes it's just his employees. When Squidward asks Mr. Krabs what they'll do, Mr. Krabs thinks it's not that bad but then the customers start to riot and then Mr. Krabs breaks another hole and says "More Drive Thrus! More money!" Then, the Krusty Krab cracks and falls apart into a pile of dirt. SpongeBob says "Don't worry Mr. Krabs! We can fix it!" But the bottle runs empty and says they will need to buy more toothpaste. The episode ends with Mr. Krabs crying.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Disorder in the Deep
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Complete Eighth Season
- The side walls of the Krusty Krab are wooden instead of glass in this episode for an unexplained reason. This is so far the only episode where this occurs.
- Running Gags: Eugene H. Krabs smashing holes into the Krusty Krab with a mallet; Plankton getting run over and squished by the old man.
- There was a total of three drive-thrus Mr. Krabs made.
- Mr. Krabs' drive-thru idea is nothing new. It was featured in a previous episode, "Driven to Tears" (SpongeBob manned it but Patrick interrupts him). The difference is that Mr. Krabs had a real drive-thru window and microphone in the earlier episode. Even then, there was a small drive thru window in the first three seasons.
- Mr. Krabs used so-called "junk" instead of the things SpongeBob bought because he said it was free. However, if SpongeBob already has it, it is presumably already paid for by SpongeBob. So using it would not cost Mr. Krabs any money.
- Though it is possible that Mr. Krabs was trying to avoid the use of technology. As heard in "Krusty Krab Training Video," Mr. Krabs keeps the balance of technology in check at the Krusty Krab due to his fear of robot overlords.
- Squidward Tentacles said that he wished he had gone to college, but in "Atlantis SquarePantis," he said that he learned more about art in Atlantis than he did in four years of community college, indicating he did go to college. It is possible that Squidward meant that he wished he had gone to college longer or a university.
- Pearl's red-headed friend looks like a school girl who appeared in "Friend or Foe."
- Squidward was possibly referencing "Accidents Will Happen" when his ear was injured by Pearl and her friends' prank when he said, "I'm not faking it, you know. That really hurt, a lot."
- When Squidward says that his ear hurts, he looks at the screen, and happens to talk to it, which breaks the fourth wall. Plankton also breaks the fourth wall, when he looks at the screen as he pulls up to the drive thru and says he's going to order a Krabby Patty.
- SpongeBob refers to Larry's boatmobile as an S.U.B., which is ironic because while it most likely means Sport Utility Boat, it spells SUB, an underwater vehicle that can dive very deep underwater.
- When Squidward says, "That's nice. That's interesting.," it was a possible reference to "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy," as it is the same thing said by Plankton in his Texas drawl voice as he impersonated Sandy.
- The green fish Mayor from "Doing Time" and "The Great Snail Race" is shown rather than the purple fish Mayor from "SpongeBob's Last Stand" and "Sponge-Cano!" It is possible that he was re-elected at some point.
- The Chum Bucket hat Plankton wore is similar to the one he wore in "Komputer Overload."
- This is one of the few times Plankton makes money. Ironically, it is the only time where he didn't have the Krabby Patty formula and someone didn't try to intervene.
- The left and right sides of the Krusty Krab are windows. In this episode, they're solid walls.
- However, this may have been done on purpose so they could tell the plot.
- When the green and blue fish collide with their car, the green fish's underarm is orange for a second.
- At the point where Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get the order for the policeman, SpongeBob appears through the kitchen window. Earlier due to Squidward's complaining, Mr. Krabs moved SpongeBob and the grill to his office and moved his desk to the kitchen.
- There appeared to be a large traffic in the drive thru, filled with hungry customers. However, the customers could have just entered through the front door and ate inside if they were so hungry.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|