Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|"Dunces and Dragons"|
|Season 4, Episode 66|
|Airdate:||February 20, 2006|
|Written by:|| Zeus Cervas|
|Directed by:|| Zeus Cervas|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Funny Pants"||"Enemy In-Law"|
"Dunces and Dragons" (also known as "Lost in Time" in the promotional spots) is the 66th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob and Patrick are running up to the "Medieval Moments" stadium/restaurant to watch the jousting tournament. Upon their arrival, Morrie announces the tournament and asks for two volunteers to take part in the jousting, choosing SpongeBob and Patrick. Unaware that they were going to be in the torunament, and not just watching up close, they each go onto a seahorse and they start the jousting. Patrick's seahorse proves so fast that his lance flies out of his hand, rendering him easy for SpongeBob to send into the air. SpongeBob's seahorse, for some reason, then launches SpongeBob high in the air as well. They land in a small field in a medieval Bikini Bottom .
A large group of knights on seahorses surround the duo. They lock SpongeBob and Patrick in the dungeons because they think they are witches because they fell from the sky). There they see a squid playing a clarinet. They think it's Squidward, but the squid's name is actually Squidley, who used to be the king's royal fool before he 'royally messed up'. SpongeBob still thinks they are in the restaurant, and describes 'how accurate the props are'. Later, SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidly are sent to the king, who orders them to be executed because of an insulting song they sang in front of him. The king is actually a crab. SpongeBob thinks it's Mr. Krabs, but the crab's name is King Krabs. It is now that SpongeBob realizes that they have travelled in time. However, Princess Pearl reminds King Krabs of the prophecy in a stained glass window. It says that two brave knights will fall from the sky and will be sent by a king and defeat the dragon that is destroying the city. Just then, the dragon, a giant jellyfish, smashes through the wall with the prophecy on it.
Under Planktonamor's orders, it kidnaps Pearl and effortly flicks King Krabs into the guillotine, smashing it just before SpongeBob can be executed. The dragon flies away. King Krabs then sees a never-before-seen section of the prophecy showing King Krabs kicking out SpongeBob and Patrick. He tells them to defeat the dragon, then proceeds to kick them out. However, SpongeBob and Patrick decide to literally kick themselves out. Squidly comes along as well after orders from King Krabs. On the way, they stop off at the Blacksmith's to get some armour and weapons, only to find that all of the weapons are too heavy except for the jellyfish net. As they reach the bridge to Planktonamor's tower, they are attacked by a 'Dark Knight', who guards the bridge. The Dark Knight is revealed to be none-other than a medieval Sandy (who, unlike the present Sandy, does not need an air helmet). A duel ensues, with SpongeBob ultimately winning due to his karate prowess. Unfortunately, the Dark Knight dies after losing the battle, and SpongeBob soon chooses to revive the Dark Knight, and spare her life.
Amazed, the Dark Knight decides to follow SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidly on their quest and learn a trifle of Karate, according to her. Back at the King's castle, Krabs receives a note saying that Princess Pearl will die if he doesn't hand over the village and his throne. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidly and the Dark Knight make an incredibly long journey to the top of the tower, where SpongeBob distracts Planktonimor while Patrick, Squidly and the Dark Knight try to rescue Pearl. However, the Dragon soon arrives and manages to zap the heroes. Just as the Dragon is about to finish off SpongeBob, he pulls out a Krabby Patty he had been saving for lunch. The Dragon eats it and likes it so much that it decides to join SpongeBob's team, zapping Planktonimor. Later, King Krabs is cooking Krabby Patties for the dragon. However, as soon as Squidly starts playing his clarinet, everybody hates it, and someone throws a rock at him. The seahorses become scared and launch SpongeBob and Patrick into the air. They land back at the tournament. SpongeBob claims the experience was a dream. Patrick then replies "Try telling that to Squidly." He then stands up, revealing a horribly squashed Squidly underneath him.
- The viewing figures of this episode - 8.5 million - are some of the highest in the show's history.
- According to a line said by Squidly, Squidward Tentacles might be Squidly's 7th great-grandson ("Oh blast this confounded instrument! If I never learn to play with ease, may my own great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson be cursed tenfold!"). However, this would assume that each generation is 100 years in length, as the episode takes place in the 12th century. Ironically, Spongebob's 7th great-grandfather, SpongeBuck Squrepants, was alive during the Old West, which would place make him more than 700 years younger than Squidward's 7th great-grandfather.
- Nickelodeon Asia aired this episode on March 19, 2006, as part of a marathon of new SpongeBob SquarePants episodes.
- When the guard at the castle plucks an eyelash out of SpongeBob's eyelashes, he now only has two. Notice, however, that when they are on the roof, before SpongeBob sets out to catch the jellyfish in his net, he now has three eyelashes.
- This episode is ironic for the reason that Sandy's ancestor lives in Bikini Bottom, who is obviously also from Texas. This would lead one to assume Sandy's ancestors had been inhabiting Bikini Bottom for centuries, yet when Sandy first arrived in Bikini Bottom, she'd come to conduct scientific experiments, not to visit the home of an ancestor.
- Medieval Sandy is somehow able to live underwater without oxygen or an air helmet (however, it is possible that she is one of Lord Planktonimor's witches).
- In Hebrew, this episode is called "קציצות ודרקונים", which means "Patties and Dragons".
- SpongeBob and Patrick shouldn't be afraid of the guillotine, as they are creatures that can reproduce parts of their bodies if cut off. But this is innacurate because the body will die if the brain is gone
- The guillotine was not invented/named until the 1790s. This episode took place around 1106. The same with stitches, which were not invented until the renaissance
- Before fighting Sandy SpongeBob smacks his legs which have puffed up and look fat. This may be a blooper or the artist may have did that for fun.
- On Nick.com, The Dunces & Dragons game got ranked Game of the Week of the Year.
- At the beginning of the episode the knight slices SpongeBob's hat in half, however when SpongeBob gets thrown into the dungeons, he has his hat.
- When Squidly was singing in the dungeon, he sings, "Now I hang from ye olde rafter!" But he really wasn't. He may have just sang that just to rhyme.
- Squidly was supposed to sing a limerick to calm down the dragon jellyfish, but he instead sang a different kind of poem.
- The whole episode may have been a dream (except for the Squidly part) showing how much it contradicts with other episodes.
- The Dark Knight is (briefly) a villain, making it the third time Sandy has been a villain.
- Although this episode takes place in medieval times, Princess Pearl and Squidly are dressed in a Renaissance clothing.
- Princess Pearl mentions blood pressure in the episode. The knowledge of blood pressure was not found out until the 19th Century when knowledge of medical science improved. Knowledge of even rudimentary, basic medical knowledge was non-existent in the 12th century and leeches were used to treat "bad blood" that had to be extracted from the body in order to cure diseases. Little was known about what caused disease and hence the disastrous plagues like the Black Plague of 1347.
- SpongeBob taught the Dark Knight karate. Sandy Cheeks claims that she taught SpongeBob all that he now knows about karate in "Karate Island". However, when SpongeBob met Sandy in "Tea at the Treedome", SpongeBob had already known about karate. That must have meant she taught him all the rest he knows.
- After Patrick, SpongeBob, and Squidly sing the offensive song to the king he orders them to be be-headed with a guillotine. The guillotine wasn't used for almost 700 years after the 12th century.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Lost in Time
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Lost in Time
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 4, Volume 1
- Nick Picks 5
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 4th Season
- SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick Squarepants
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Dunces and Dragons. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|