|"Dying for Pie"|
|Season 2, Episode 24A|
|Original air date:||December 28, 2000|
|Written by:|| Aaron Springer|
|Directed by:||Edgar Larrazabal|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Bubble Buddy"||"Imitation Krabs"|
"Dying for Pie" is the first segment of the 24th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
At the Krusty Krab, it's Employee Brotherhood Day. Squidward doesn't know that on Employee Brotherhood Day, all employees must exchange gifts that they made themselves, and SpongeBob gives Squidward a sweater made out of his eyelashes. When Squidward scoffs at his heartfelt gift, SpongeBob begins to cry copiously, eventually handing Squidward a sweater made from his own tears.
Squidward wishes he could buy a gift instead of make one, and sees a group of pirates outside with a sack of pies. He goes outside and the pirates say that they're just pie shaped bombs, but after Squidward offers to buy one, one of the pirates says they were kidding, and Squidward buys a pie for $25. He lies to Mr. Krabs, saying that he made it. Mr. Krabs says he has to inspect it, and eat a bit to see that it isn't horrible. He breaks a tiny bit off the crust and says, "This would go great with some milk!" When he trips over and the bit of the pie explodes and wrecks the back of the Krusty Krab, Squidward and Mr. Krabs are blown away. When they arrive at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob acts as if he ate the pie, but it is unknown if he even ate anything. Mr. Krabs tells Squidward that the pie would explode around sunset when it reached SpongeBob's lower intestine, so Squidward decides to make SpongeBob's remaining hours fun. After being asked what the funnest things he likes to do are, SpongeBob presents a list of the funnest things he likes to do.
- Show his best friend Squidward to everybody in town
- Show his best friend Squidward to everybody in town wearing a salmon suit
- Knock-knock jokes
- Friends in reverse
- Babble like an idiot
- Trade faces
- Open-heart surgery
- Watch the sunset with Squidward
- Hundreds of other unseen acts
The last activity is watching the sunset together. After remembering SpongeBob explodes at sunset, Squidward builds a brick wall between them and gets even more nerves and sad than before. At sunset, there is an explosion, but it's actually a bubble that SpongeBob blew (It's in the shape of a bomb and explodes). There is another explosion which knocks the wall down, crushing Squidward. Squidward comes out and finds that SpongeBob is still alive. He says he's supposed to explode after eating the pie. SpongeBob doesn't seem to remember, then says 'Oh, you mean this pie!" He takes the explosive pie out of his pocket and says that he was saving it for them to share. He prepares to eat it even though Squidward just said it was a bomb. When he trips over, the bomb hits Squidward in the face and goes off, demolishing all of Bikini Bottom in a huge explosion. Squidward miraculously survives, uttering a very plain "Ow".
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Buddies
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: It's a SpongeBob Christmas!
- The bomb pie was likely made of some disguised fertilizer substance as most actual explosives (such as c4, tnt or dynamite) can only be obtained by the government, an implosion or miners company, or a fireworks person.
- This episode marks the first time that we see a side of Squidward we have never seen before. It shows that even though he says multiple in the series he absolutely hates him, Squidward cares about Spongebob enough to make sure he dies happy.
- The Operation Crossroads nuclear test, footage of which is used to represent the explosion near the end of the episode, was conducted at Bikini Atoll.
- The explosion at the end of this episode is an atom bomb test in the Pacific Ocean from 1946. The clip became an internet meme and later appeared in "The Krusty Plate" and "Frozen Face-Off".
- After Squidward scolds Mr. Krabs for making Employee Brotherhood Day, when he says "...that guy!", Mr. Krabs is seen clearly with no legs. This is most likely an animation error.
- An alternate version of this episode was that there was a baking contest that was going to happen at the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs wanted Spongebob and Squiward to cook something. When Squidward is making pie he puts a bomb instead of sugar.
- When the brick wall that is separating Squidward and SpongeBob during the sunset breaks down after the bubble bomb explosion, a brick flies out of it. During the second bubble explosion, the brick is suddenly back in the wall when it's in the air, and dissapears again when it falls on top of Squidward.
- Squidward is seen driving a boatmobile in this episode, but he is frequently seen using his bicycle to work. However, Squidward is seen using another boat in "Boating Buddies".
- There is a bumper sticker on Squidward's boatmobile that reads "Don't ask me about my day."
- SpongeBob breaks the fourth wall when he says "hi" to Mr. Krabs while Squidward was remembering him talking about how SpongeBob had until sunset.
- When Spongebob says "Well since we finished everything on the list, I thought I'd make up a new one," the closed captions say "Well since we finished everything on the list I made a new one."
- On SpongeBob's list, one of the things is "Introduce friend in a salmon suit". However, when SpongeBob checks off juggling, he checks off to introduce friend in a salmon suit a second time, when this was already done, though this was likely an intentional joke.
- The bandage on Squidward's chest disappears when he and SpongeBob go watch the sunset.
- When Mr. Krabs tries to eat a piece of the pie, he left a small hole in the pie, but when SpongeBob takes it out from his pocket and walks to Squidward the hole is gone.
- The Krusty Krab appears and disappears in the background when Squidward talks with the pirates.
- This is one of the rare times where Squidward feels sorry for SpongeBob.
- There was no rock near SpongeBob when Squidward was yelling at him. When SpongeBob said,"Oh! You mean this pie!" the screen eased in to the pie. When it zoomed out, a rock appeared near SpongeBob and thus, he tripped.
- When Squidward asks about the sweater Spongebob made, Spongebob says "eyelashes" even though he is clearly missing his eyebrows.
- When Spongebob was giving open heart surgery to Squidward it was the first time blood was shown.
- SpongeBob's list reads:
- Show Squidward
- In a salmon suit
- Knock-Knock jokes
- Open-heart surgery
- Knock-Knock jokes
- Lookin' like ?
- Thumb Puppets
- Act like ape
- Trading Faces
- Open-heart surgery
- Read a story
- Like Patrick before him in "Suds", Spongebob impersonates a doctor. However, he goes one step further by playing the role of heart surgeon. Of course, impersonating a doctor is illegal. Sandy says Patrick should be arrested for impersonating a doctor in Suds, but Squidward doesn't say anything about it in this episode.
- After Squidward and Mr. Krabs are blown out of the Krusty Krab and see the pie is gone, the wall is strangely blown inwards instead of outwards
- When Spongebob checks some of the things off of the list, the list glitches and overlaps itself, seeming to fold.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|