|"Eek, An Urchin!"|
|Season 9, Episode 183A|
|Original air date:||October 27, 2012|
|Written by:|| Marc Ceccarelli|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Bumper to Bumper"||"Squid Defense"|
"Eek, An Urchin!" is the first segment of the 183rd episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
The episode opens with SpongeBob cooking a Krabby Patty. When he pours ketchup on it, he accidentally gets some on the floor. He then proceeds to clean it up with a spray bottle and a cloth, but he ends up spraying himself in the face and drops the can of spray under the grill. SpongeBob goes to grab at the spray the first time but pulls out a skull. He throws it away and then he tries again only to pull out a sea urchin. The urchin crawls around SpongeBob and he tries to get Squidward to help him. Squidward eventually comes to the kitchen to see what is going on only to find the urchin is on his foot. Both SpongeBob and Squidward call for Mr. Krabs for help and Mr. Krabs enters the kitchen to see what is going on. Mr. Krabs doesn't believe them at first until he finds the urchin on his claw and he jumps onto the grill along with SpongeBob and Squidward. Unfortunately for them, the grill was still on and all of their feet get burned. SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs each jump into a bathroom stall cooling off their feet. The three try new ways to get the urchin out of the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob tries to catch it in a bucket but ends up getting smashed into the wall and ended up in the bucket himself. Mr. Krabs tries to hurt the urchin by smashing a broom on it but Mr. Krabs gets beaten up in the process. SpongeBob then tells Squidward to stop the urchin before it gets into the dining room but he only steps aside allowing the urchin to pass on by. The urchin causes trouble in the dining room by being on a Krabby Patty, being swallowed then coughed back out by a fish, and even had a lady eat off one of its quills. The urchin goes back into the kitchen much to SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward's reliefs. However, when SpongeBob mentions the urchin, the customers suddenly start running all over the place causing chaos.
Plankton, meanwhile, is heading up to the Krusty Krab with another plan at stealing the Secret Formula by using glasses as a disguise. However, he ends up being trampled by the customers and heads inside to see what is going on. Mr. Krabs isn't happy to see him as he states that they have enough pests already. Plankton is confused until he looks over to see the urchin. Plankton jumps onto SpongeBob's face saying how he hates those things. He concludes that he cannot steal the Secret Formula with the urchin running around and promises that he won't steal the formula until after the urchin is caught. Mr. Krabs reluctantly agrees to the temporary truce claiming it will take a pest to catch a pest. Plankton then calls Karen on his cell phone telling her to send over his Death Robot. Then after he called Karen the robot appears in the Krusty Krab with Plankton saying that this is their champion. Mr. Krabs is angry but Plankton says it isn't in action mode yet. Plankton sets the robot to take out the urchin where it begins chasing it down. However, the robot viciously begins destroying everything in its path while trying to smash the urchin. The urchin eventually hides in Mr. Krabs' cash register and when the Death Robot tries to attack the register, Mr. Krabs gets in the way. The robot accidentally rips off Mr. Krabs' shell and arms then puts him back together. Mr. Krabs asks for the mallet from the robot then starts to smash it over and over again eventually turning it into a lunchbox. Mr. Krabs then calls for SpongeBob to open the register while he catches the urchin in the lunchbox. When SpongeBob opens the cash register, the urchin is seen eating Mr. Krabs' money. Mr. Krabs, furious, then begins to smash apart his cash register hoping he got the urchin. However, the urchin is on his mallet freaking out Mr. Krabs. Squidward then appears grateful his prickly plant is safe. When Plankton walks beside the plant, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs has an idea much to Plankton's worry.
Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob then start to create a cactus costume for Plankton trying to make him look like the urchin. They also paint the costume blue and puts a pink bow on top thus making Plankton look like a female sea urchin (even calling him Planktonella). Mr. Krabs then throws Plankton into the kitchen hoping that he'll try to lure the urchin out by charming it. Plankton walks around slowly until he finds the urchin. He works his charms which the urchin actually falling in love with him. Things get too tense for Plankton after the urchin touches him and Plankton ends up under the kicthen grill. Plankton then finds a bunch more sea urchins that then proceeds to chase after him. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob then block off the hole with the cash register boat and boarded up the back door preventing the urchins and Plankton from escaping. Plankton is soon taken by the urchins asking for help. Squidward then wants to put an end to all of this and uses the thermostat to turn down the temperature in the kitchen causing Plankton and the urchins to slow down. He turns it all the way down causing them to freeze in place. SpongeBob is then ready with a trash can with Mr. Krabs turning back up the heat causing the urchins to defrost and fall into the trash can. Mr. Krabs then tells SpongeBob to take the urchins farther and farther away many times. SpongeBob then stops and releases the urchins, not knowing, into the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs screams yelling for SpongeBob and SpongeBob walks off whistling back home.
- In comparison, the sea urchin in this episode is about the same size as Plankton.
- This is the third time Plankton actually teams up with Mr. Krabs in order to solve a problem, after "Best Frenemies" and "The Other Patty".
- This is the second time Mr. Krabs' money was eaten, in this episode's case, by the urchin. The first was by Mystery back in "My Pretty Seahorse".
- There are obviously many types of urchins as seen in "Nature Pants", "Pre-Hibernation Week", and "Squidward's School For Grown-Ups".
- SpongeBob is shown being careless with condiments at the start of the episode. It is the same as the episode The Original Fry Cook, when Jim told SpongeBob he used too much mustard. Other episodes, like Employee of the Month, show SpongeBob being extremly careful with how he assembled a Krabby Patty. It is possible that this episode came before the other two.
- Running Gag: Someone using a telephone or cell phone.
- The television guide display this episode's title as "Eek! An Urchin".
- This episode was paired up with "Patrick-Man!" for its premiere. It would later be paired with "Squid Defense".
- The urchins look much different than the ones in "Nature Pants". Also, in "Squidward's School for Grown-Ups", the sea urchin is a fluffy beard-like ball that was on Patrick's face. It's possible that these could be different types of sea urchins.
- This is the only episode with a robot that has the eye of Plankton, however two video games have this same thing. The biggest role they played were in SpongeBob's Truth Or Square. They also have a much smaller role as a submarine robot in Nicktoons Unite!
- When SpongeBob whistles, the tunes sounds like the overworld theme in Super Mario 3D Land.
- When the robot was trying to hit the urchin, it could possibly be a reference to Tom & Jerry
- Once Frankie Billy squirted ketchup on the sea urchin, when they showed the next scene of him, the ketchup had vanished.
- When the urchin is chased it jumps on the soda dispenser, when the fish pushes the trigger to dispense the soda the urchin falls out even though he was on the dispenser not in it.
- When SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs all jumped into the toilets to cool off their feet (after being burned by the grill), SpongeBob's right arm is missing.
- When Plankton first entered the Krusty Krab and saw SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward together, they were all in front of the register and closer to the front door. When Plankton jumps onto SpongeBob's face after seeing the urchin, they were all suddenly beside the register and closer to the kitchen.
- When Plankton's robot first entered the Krusty Krab through the front door, the Chum Bucket couldn't be seen.
- After Mr. Krabs destroyed Plankton's robot with the mallet, he threw it away. When he saw the urchin in his register eating his money, he suddenly had the mallet again.
- When Mr. Krabs was boarding up the door to the kitchen, the thermostat wasn't seen. When Squidward appeared again, the thermostat was there.
- Also, after Squidward turned down the thermostat way down and Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob went into the kitchen, the door wasn't boarded anymore.
- When Mr. Krabs is turning the thermostat back up, a table (which Plankton was sitting on) is suddenly there.
- When Mr. Krabs was turning up the thermostat, Plankton, still with the female urchin suit, didn't had lipstick on.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 9th Season