|"Fungus Among Us"|
|Season 5, Episode 83C|
|Airdate:||September 29, 2007|
|Written by:|| Casey Alexander|
|Directed by:||Alan Smart|
|← Previous||Next →|
"Fungus Among Us" is the third segment of the 83rd episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob is asleep, and Gary has no food, so Gary wakes up SpongeBob. SpongeBob attempts to feed Gary some All Organic Nature's Science Snail Food, but the food is disgusting to Gary. Instead, Gary would rather eat some contagious sea fungus on the floor, which SpongeBob considers very rude. SpongeBob tries to clean up the ick, but gets it on himself. He tries to clean it off, but it only spreads. He also tries not to scratch it because it is itchy, yet he still itches. At the Krusty Krab, he flicks off some contagious sea fungus on his nose, but it grows on the wall and grows back and bigger on him. He tries scraping it off his arm into the trash, but the same thing happens. Squidward sees SpongeBob in his state and calls the SWAT team. It is claimed that SpongeBob has the most severe case of ick yet. When the team is carrying SpongeBob away in a cage, some contagious sea fungus flies off of him and lands on Squidward's head. After Squidward itches it, when giving a Krabby Patty to Old Man Jenkins, it gets onto him. Meanwhile, the SWAT team has SpongeBob quarantined in his house with a bubble around him with the contagious sea fungus having taken a turn for the worse. Patrick comes in and pops SpongeBob's bubble in a game of Pirate Wrestling. Afterwards, Patrick blows another bubble around SpongeBob. Back at the Krusty Krab, the contagious sea fungus is spreading like crazy. It is all over the food, and the customers get infected. SpongeBob arrives in his bubble, having taken another turn for the worse. The health inspector snaps at Mr. Krabs for thinking everyone was healthy, and everyone prepares to attack SpongeBob for spreading the contagious sea fungus. SpongeBob cries icky tears that get on everybody in the Krusty Krab when the bubble pops, releasing a huge amount of ick, covering many areas of the Krusty Krab. Gary then arrives licking the contagious sea fungus off of Mr. Krabs. The episode ends with Gary "de-icking" the Bikini Bottomites, by simply eating all the ick off their bodies, for $5.00 to Mr. Krabs' profit.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Friend or Foe?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 5, Volume 1
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 5th Season
- The episode was available on home video releases earlier in 2007, before it aired on television.
- This episode aired in Germany on May 17, 2007, before it aired in the USA.
- The Ick is actually a real disease that affects fish.
- There are many different health inspectors in Bikini Bottom as seen in "Nasty Patty," this episode, and "Greasy Buffoons."
- This was Richard Pursel's first episode as a writer.
- This episode premiered on Ian McShane's 65th birthday and one year after "Once Bitten" premiered.
- This episode's title comes from "Fungus Amongus," which is the 1995 debut album of the band Incubus.
- The way SpongeBob's house is covered in a plastic bag with police tape and barbed wire around it is similar to E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
- In the beginning of this episode, the windows outside of SpongeBob's House are facing backwards; in this episode, the low window is on the left while the higher one is on the right. In all others, the high window is on the left and the low window is one the right.
- When Old Man Jenkins leaves after getting his change, Squidward Tentacles calls himself, "Mr. Squidward," even though Squdiward is his first name. A more proper way of saying this would be "Mr. Tentacles."
- When SpongeBob wakes up in his quarantine house, he sees two silhouettes of hazmat fish with "eye" holes. In the next shot, the workers have a singular glass visor.
- Gary appears in the bubble when SpongeBob and Patrick are in SpongeBob's House, but when they are in the Krusty Krab, Gary also appears there. He might have escaped the bubble off-screen.
- When the Bikini Bottomites jump on SpongeBob's bubble and on the scene when the bubble explodes, Patrick is not seen by the doors, in the next scene he is seen getting "the ick" all over him.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|