|Season 4, Episode 70|
|Written by:|| Zeus Cervas|
|Directed by:||Alan Smart|
|Guest(s):||Brian Doyle-Murray as Flying Dutchman|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Chimps Ahoy"||"Whale of a Birthday"|
"Ghost Host" is the second segment of the 70th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
After The Flying Dutchman's ship breaks down (hits a rock), The Flying Dutchman takes up residence at SpongeBob's house where he proceeds to scare, startle and surprise SpongeBob around the clock. SpongeBob does get scared and goes to Squidward for help, but unfortunately, he doesn't believe in ghosts. So he slams the door in SpongeBob's face, so he soon turns to Patrick to help, but he just closes his door. Then he hears Gary cry for help. SpongeBob enters his house to stop The Flying Dutchman. The Flying Dutchman then says that he just wanted to pet Gary, only to reveal that it was a trick by eating him. SpongeBob despairs about the death of hair until Gary appears behind him with no explanation. Soon, the Dutchman begins to take much amusement in terrifying SpongeBob (repeatedly). Eventually, all the spooky shenanigans grow old, and SpongeBob and all of the citizens of Bikini Bottom are no longer afraid of the Dutchman. This creates a panic for the old ghost who now fears that he has lost his scary touch. So SpongeBob decides to lend a hand and help the Flying Dutchman learn to scare people again. Unfortunately, his first attempt doesn't work until the customer on the mattress screamed from the startling notice of the mattress salesman. The second attempt also doesn't work since The Flying Dutchman got hit by a jump rope. The third attempt doesn't work when an old lady mistakes him for someone else. He then realizes that the Dutchman is trashing his place and tells him to get active by getting the Flying Dutchman to watch a crazy video about some mysterious people saying "The Power Within" constantly. The next attempt, however, doesn't work when Larry thought that he had a flab on his pecs. The Flying Dutchman decides to give up since maybe people don't believe in ghosts anymore. This gives SpongeBob an idea. SpongeBob then tells the Dutchman to try to scare Squidward since he doesn't believe in ghosts. The Flying Dutchman gets his revenge to go to Squidward's house and successfully scares him. The Flying Dutchman finally has the nerve to scare people again. He had a confession to make and tells SpongeBob that his ship had been repaired for three months. The episode ends with The Flying Dutchman leaving SpongeBob with a present with a scary surprise, but SpongeBob laughs at it, even though SpongeBob gets eaten by the surprise.
- Squidward's mother causes Squidward to reveal his nickname being Squiddums.
- It is revealed that the Flying Dutchman is (or at least was) married.
- The Flying Dutchman seems to want to deny it, like the real one would.
- It is shown that SpongeBob uses a built-in VCR on his TV just like in the episode "Karate Island".
- A scene where Squidward's mother appears as a giant ghost (not in cloud form) in his room and speaks to Squidward is a parody of the films The Land Before Time, where Littlefoot's mother appeared as a giant cloud ghost in the sky and spoke to Littlefoot, and The Lion King, where Simba's father Mufasa appeared as a giant cloud ghost in the sky and spoke to Simba.
- Squidward screaming "No! No! That's impossible!" is a parody of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
- SpongeBob riding on the Dutchman's back holding his hair back is a parody of The NeverEnding Story.
- When flying to the gym the Flying Dutchman says "Let's hit it!", this is a pun when the Flying Dutchman flies through the wall being a ghost, but SpongeBob hits it face-first.
- SpongeBob laughs at the end, but the captions say he screams.
- When the Dutchman raided Squidward's house, the Dutchman has 5 fingers, but when he was at SpongeBob's, he had only four.
- The giant ant that the Flying Dutchman changed into is a parody of the sci-fi film Them.
- The house coming to life with the insides on fire is similar to the episode "Procrastination", except that it only roared instead of telling SpongeBob to stop wasting time.
- This is the third appearance of Squidward's mom. The first was in Fools in April, the second was in Krusty Towers.
- The video has an old fish repeatedly saying, The Power Within. This is one of the few underwater creatures to wear shoes (one being SpongeBob, others being rich fish or businessman)
- A chicken walks across the old man in the video for some reason.
- It is revealed that the Flying Dutchman can shapeshift.
- This is the first time The Flying Dutchman is shown without his hat.
- 2nd appearance of the Mattress Store, the first was in The Lost Mattress.
- SpongeBob punching Squidward in the face has became an Internet meme which is usualy entitled "SpongeBob Gives Squidward Brain Damage"..
- When SpongeBob holds Gary he is shown to be in his normal size, but when SpongeBob says, "It's alright, Gary!", Gary is shown to be a bit smaller.
- When Squidward says "Squiddums loves his Mama", his teeth keep changing color.
- This is the seventh epsode where its title card is being animated, the sixth being "Skill Crane".
- A woman's scream, which is heard in other Nickelodeon shows, such as CatDog, Rocko's Modern Life, etc., is heard when SpongeBob is screaming before he went to Squidward's house. The scream is also heard in F.U.N. and Suds. It later appeared in That's No Lady.
- Squidward's teeth alternate between yellow and white when he is cowering of his "ghost like" mother, lying the floor and says "Squidums loves his mama".