|Season 8, Episode 162|
|Original air date:||October 21, 2011|
|Written by:|| Luke Brookshier|
|Guest(s):|| Chris Elliott as Lord Poltergeist|
Brian Doyle-Murray as Flying Dutchman
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation"||"Mermaid Man Begins"|
SpongeBob and Patrick are lying on the ground watching the clouds until they see a haunted house boat. Patrick wants to check it out so the buddies do. Patrick thinks the boat is lame, but SpongeBob thinks it’s real. Then, they meet Lord Poltergeist who sings a sea shanty by Patrick's request. SpongeBob asks why Lord Poltergeist is in Bikini Bottom and it is because there's a broken head gasket. Lord Poltergeist takes their souls, but gives SpongeBob a doubloon to buy a new head gasket in 24 hours. SpongeBob and Patrick run to the Krusty Krab and tell the customers about the ghosts. The customers run away and Mr. Krabs wants to know what's with the chaos. SpongeBob tells him about Lord Poltergeist and how he stole their souls, but gave them a doubloon. Mr. Krabs takes the doubloon and takes a head gasket from a car. Sandy then appears with ghost equipment, claiming she was looking for "milkshake gremlins" and wants to catch some ghosts. The five go back to the boat where Mr. Krabs steals the doubloons and hands bags to Squidward and Patrick. Lord Poltergeist appears and SpongeBob gives him the head gasket. The lord gives SpongeBob and Patrick orange soda instead of their souls and sucks Mr. Krabs, Squidward and Patrick into the void and shows them their greatest fears. First, Mr. Krabs has to use the restroom and finds a portable bathroom, but to use it, he must pay one doubloon. Next, Patrick wishes for a doughnut and then a talking one comes and Patrick annoys him. He wishes for a donut with sprinkles, then chocolate, then a bagel, then a stack of pancakes, oblivious to the fact that he had outsmarted his worst nightmare, something Lord Poltergeist intended to be impossible. He then asks for a Krabby Patty, and then another plain donut, much to the donut's annoyance. Finally, Squidward encounters a giant SpongeBob which makes him scream. Sandy sucks the three back into her equipment. Then, Mr. Krabs and Lord Poltergeist fight for the doubloons. SpongeBob catches it and realizes it belongs to the Flying Dutchman. The Flying Dutchman comes by to reclaim his doubloons. Lord Poltergeist runs away until the boat breaks down. Finally, the Flying Dutchman turns into a torpedo that makes a void. The episode finishes with the Krusty Krab in the void with new workers and customers. When SpongeBob tells everyone to hold on to something, he tells Giant Demonic SpongeBob from Lord Poltergeist's void to flip the restaurant. He does so, and then his face turns into The Flying Dutchman's and he laughs evilly.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Ghouls Fools
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 8th Season
- This is the first time alcohol is showing; when Lord Poltergeist and his ghosts are singing they fill a cup with beer.
- This is the third time someone called Sandy a "Chipmunk"; the first time being in Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy and the second being The Abrasive Side.
- This is the first episode of the series since "One Krab's Trash" with the 1986 Paramount logo, but with the 2010 Viacom byline.
- This is the second time a donut talks, the first instance in The Donut of Shame.
- When Patrick calls Lord Poltergeist "a singing robotic puppet" from "those pizza joints with the singing animated robots", he is referring to Chuck E. Cheese's restaurants.
- Lord Poltergeist's name was never said in the episode, but it was revealed in the end credits.
- Lord Poltergeist's calendar only has 6 days per week instead of seven, henceforth Halloween is on a Monday, just like in 2011, however the 21st (the day the episode premiered) is on a Tuesday instead of a Friday.
- The song We're the Ghouls of the Briny Deep will be used agin in the episode Séance Shméance.
- The Ghoul working the engine room was the only one of Lord Poltergeist's crew members who talked after singing the song.
- The Cat o' Nine Tails (a cat with 9 tails mentioned in the song) is named after the punishment device called the "cat of nine tails" used in the sailing industry.
- Running Gag :in the scene where Patrick Star and the donut . Patrick always changes the flavor of the donut.
- When the bone fish walks in to use the bathroom, Lord Poltergeist says "Welcome to the Krusted Krab" instead of Krusty Krab.