"Good Neighbors" is the second segment of the 64th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
One Sunday morning, Squidward wakes to reveal it's SpongeBob. Squidward angrily tells him that it is Sunday and "that a good neighbor does not bother him on Sunday". SpongeBob believes that Squidward is grouchy because he has not gotten his Sunday Paper, and tries to give it to him. However, Patrick appears to think that it's a "newspaper monster". He and SpongeBob run around, screaming.
Squidward begins his Sunday relaxation, when SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly appear behind him wearing cultist-style fezzes and initiate him as president of the "Secret Royal Order of the Good Neighbor Lodge", which SpongeBob and Patrick have just made up. Squidward tells SpongeBob and Patrick to paint all of the tree leaves around town with polka dots to get rid of SpongeBob and Patrick. Outside, SpongeBob absorbs a can of red paint; Patrick pulls his arm like a lever, causing him to shoot specks of paint onto all the trees. At noon, SpongeBob and Patrick return to Squidward to tell him that they are almost done with their task, and SpongeBob accidentally shoots paint on his face and in his eyes. Squidward runs outside, screaming in pain, and is almost hit by a car that Debbie Rechid and Ralph turn out to be driving. They think that he is sick with chicken pox and takes him to the hospital.
Later, SpongeBob and Patrick hold a club meeting, and notices that Squidward is gone. They go inside his house to look for him, when a foot massager arrives to give Squidward a pedicure. When Squidward comes home, he finds SpongeBob and Patrick getting a pedicure to make sure that he "really is a certified foot masseur, and not some sort of assassin". Squidward pushes them aside and angrily demands the man to massage his feet, but he tells him that his hour is over and leaves. Furious, he makes SpongeBob and Patrick to leave, telling them never to bother him again.
Unable to understand that Squidward hates them, SpongeBob thinks Squidward was trying to tell them something. Upon hearing this, Squidward literally breaks his head through the front door and screams to them that they are the worst neighbors ever before taking their fezzes and stomping them onto the ground. Inside his house, Squidward sees his Sunday paper in a messy pile on the floor with a note from SpongeBob presenting it to him. Furious about this, he kicks the paper until he sees an ad in the newspaper for a high-tech security system, which he gets and installs into his house. Squidward believes that the security will stop SpongeBob and Patrick from entering his house, but they suddenly come up behind him with an apology cake and their fezzes back on. Squidward demands the security system to destroy them, but the machine says, "No threat detected." Squidward then punches the machine in frustration, and the machine says, "Threat detected". It then begins malfunctioning and declares a "code red" situation, literally kicking Squidward out of the building. The house then grows arms and legs and walks away with SpongeBob and Patrick still inside. Squidward then realizes that they can now no longer bother him and tells himself "he is going to relax if it kills him."
Meanwhile, Squidward's House rampages through downtown Bikini Bottom, and SpongeBob and Patrick turn the security system off just as the house returns to its original position, causing it to fall on top of Squidward. His Sunday relaxation time over, he calmly has SpongeBob and Patrick leave so he can get ready for work the next day. However, he finds an angry mob outside of his house, and a man gives him a jury summons that has him doing community service every Sunday for the rest of his life to pay off the damages to the city. SpongeBob and Patrick each get a jury summons as well. They look forward to cleaning up Bikini Bottom together and say that they will see him again next Sunday. Squidward twitches nervously.
Home media releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Where's Gary?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Where's Gary?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 4, Volume 1
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete Fourth Season
- SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward do not appear doing community service on later episodes that take place on Sunday. It could be possible that they no longer have to do it because in the next episode Bikini Bottom is back to normal.
- This is the first time Squidward is the president of a neighborhood lodge. The next time will be "Cephalopod Lodge".
- This is the first time Squidward gets community service unfairly because of SpongeBob. It would happen again in "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful".
- Squidward tells SpongeBob to go paint the tree polka dot, this is a reference to Alice in Wonderland, where in that movie, the cards paint the tree.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick make Squidward the president of the lodge, they say, "By the All-Seeing Eye, ye are worthy, we are not." This is a reference to the All-Seeing Eye on the Dollar Bill, which many mistakenly believe to be Illuminati symbolism.
- The name of SpongeBob and Patrick's lodge (The Secret Royal Order of the Good Neighbor Lodge) is a possible reference to the Masons.
- Squidward's house being a giant robot and immortal could be a reference to MechaGodzilla.
- When Squidward attempts to relax, and SpongeBob and Patrick show up, they are in the living room. After SpongeBob and Patrick finish saying 'Oooooooooo' and bow to Squidward, they are in the kitchen.
- When Squidward throws SpongeBob out, he is wearing his regular clothes and the next shot he is wearing his pajamas.
- When Squidward pushes SpongeBob outside to go paint the leaves on the trees, the door opens into the house, but when SpongeBob reappear out of nowhere, and say "See you later Squidward!", the door opens outside.
- Squidward puts the flower on the center of the coffee table but after he sprays it, it is near the edge.
- Squidward was kicked far away from the position of his house, but when the house returns and crushes him, he is at the house's original position.
- When Squidward kicks SpongeBob out of the house, he slams the door in their face. However, when it shows them out of the house they are a couple of meters away from the door.
- In the shot where the Bikini Bottomites surrounded Squidward and his house, if the viewer looks closely there is no front tire on the police car on the left.
- The Where's Gary? and Season 4, Volume 1 DVDs listed this as "Good Neighbor" with the "s" absent.
- Before SpongeBob and Patrick say "Ooooooooooooooo," the pillow and phone are both on the couch. However, in the next shot of the couch, both are gone.
- When Patrick puts paint in SpongeBob, he becomes rectangle. After the scene where Patrick throws the can of paint away and hits a citizen riding a bicycle, SpongeBob is square again.
- Squidward had a watch, but on the next scene, he was not wearing a watch anymore.
- When Squidward's house kicks him out, Squidward looks bigger.