|Season 1, Episode 7A|
|Original air date:||August 28, 1999|
|Written by:|| Chuck Klein|
|← Previous||Next →|
"Hall Monitor" is the first segment of the seventh episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
At Mrs. Puff's Boating School, it is time to select the hall monitor for the day. Mrs. Puff notices that SpongeBob is the only one who has yet to serve as hall monitor, and after desperately attempting to find another candidate, she is forced to give hall monitor duties to SpongeBob. After being elected Boating School Hall Monitor, SpongeBob gives a very long speech, which ends up lasting the entire day, and his entire time as hall monitor. Out of sympathy, Mrs. Puff allows SpongeBob to at least wear his uniform until the next day. However, SpongeBob goes above and beyond the call of duty, and decides to become the hall monitor of the city, with disastrous results. His activities include giving directions to traffic, resulting in a massive pile-up, and attacking a couple in the guise of the "Open Window Maniac", with the intention of showing them the dangers of leaving a house window open. Later, SpongeBob finds Patrick eating a strawberry ice cream, which drips onto the ground, and labels him as a criminal. When a front page newspaper headline alerts SpongeBob about a maniac causing trouble around town, he lets Patrick turn over a new leaf as a deputy. They end up getting ice cream twice (Patrick's idea of a scandal), and then decide to split up to find the maniac, communicating using walkie-talkies. Two policemen ask Patrick if he's seen the maniac, and show him a picture of SpongeBob, which he at first mistakes for the actual maniac, but fails to recognize as SpongeBob. Soon, night suddenly falls and Patrick gets frightened. He sees SpongeBob in the distance across the street, who he recognizes as the maniac but not as SpongeBob. He alerts SpongeBob to this through his walkie-talkie, and SpongeBob attempts to escape the maniac. Everywhere he goes, Patrick tells him the maniac is there, making SpongeBob believe that the maniac is following him. Eventually, SpongeBob sees a wanted poster for himself and realizes that he is the maniac. The police arrive to arrest SpongeBob, and Mrs. Puff appears to explain the situation to them, saying that SpongeBob is her responsibility. The police interpret this as taking responsibility for the crimes, and Mrs. Puff is arrested.
- The paperboy is the same fish that delivers SpongeBob's prize in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II".
- SpongeBob's speech includes the line "Friends, students, juvenile delinquents...", a parody of Mark Antony's "Friends, romans, countrymen..." from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. The music that plays in the background during the speech is Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance" which is played at graduation ceremonies.
- The intersection of Conch St. and Coral St. is one straight road whenever the scene is shown from Patrick's point of view.
- Harold was in Boating School and he was driving
- Harold was not listed as a student.
- This episode was ranked #99 on the Best Day Ever ranking.
- This is the first time Mrs. Puff goes to jail.
- Gus is called "Jimmy" in this episode.
- SpongeBob tells Patrick that the crime he committed was throwing his ice cream on the ground, but as SpongeBob and Patrick leave the ice cream shop for the second time, SpongeBob says, "This isn't working. We've got to do something else" and throws his ice cream cone behind him.
- On Ms. Puff's hall monitor sheet SpongeBob's name is written in red.
- The name Bart on the list is a reference to Bart Simpson from The Simpsons.
- When the police arrives and ask Patrick about the maniac, Officer Rob's eyelids are the same color as Officer John's. But when they talk to him, the orange police fish's eyelids are orange.
- When SpongeBob is surrounded by the policemen, all of the policemen are only seen in four colors.
- After SpongeBob crashes through the fence while in the mailbox, he lies on the ground as a wanted sign floats down and lands on his face. It is evident that the paper is upside down from his point of view until he looks at it, turns it around, and holds it up. Then it is upright.
- Patrick can be heard screaming after SpongeBob realizes he's the maniac. but in the wide shot of SpongeBob surrounded by the police, Patrick is nowhere to be seen.
- "MY LEG!" is heard when the boat collision is shown.
- In class, Harold and other classmates are not wearing any clothing.
- If Beth graduated, her name shouldn't still be on the list of hall monitors.
- When Mrs. Puff tries to avoid naming Spongebob as hall monitor, she names Henry, Vera, and Clayton, whose names weren't on the list. She also omits the names of some students whose names were on the list (including Bart).
- When Spongebob first starts directing traffic, he turns left, and you can see the whistle in his mouth is upside-down. When he turns right, the whistle is right-side up. When Spongebob turns left a few more times, the whistle switches between upside-down or right-side up.*When Mrs. Puff looks at the list of Hall Monitors, the names listed are:
- When she sees Spongebob is next and tries to substitute another student, she names:
- Phil (not on the list)
- Henry (not on the list)
- Vera (not on the list)
- Clayton (not on the list)
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Bikini Bottom Bash
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Tales from the Deep
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes