|Season 4, Episode 76B|
|Original air date:||January 15, 2007|
|Written by:|| Casey Alexander|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"The Thing"||"Driven to Tears"|
"Hocus Pocus" is the second segment of the 76th epsiode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob sees a commercial about buying Mr. Magic's magical magic kit and decides to order it, and he places the envelope into the mailbox. Four to six weeks later, the mailman puts the magic kit in SpongeBob´s mailbox. Meanwhile Squidward is sunbathing and SpongeBob wants to do a card trick for him. While SpongeBob is busy reading the magic book, Squidward gets into a bus and tells the driver to take him anywhere far away from his house. Then Tom and his son drive by. The son is upset because he got pistachio ice cream, but his father can't understand why since that's the flavor he asked for. The ice cream cone is tossed out of the car and lands in Squidward´s chair. The ice cream melted into the shape of Squidward's head.
SpongeBob stops reading the magic book, sees the ice cream cone and comes to the conclusion that he turned Squidward into that ice cream cone! At first he is delighted at the thought that he is a level ten magician, but after some unsuccessful attempts at changing "Squidward" back, he becomes worried. So he puts the "Squidward" cone in the freezer and puts a strawberry cone in too so he'll have company. Then Patrick arrives and while SpongeBob is explaining the situation, Patrick is eating the "Squidward" ice cream cone. Aghast, SpongeBob stops him and they go to see Mr. Magic (the maker of the magic set SpongeBob bought). SpongeBob follows a checker-tiled road to a magic castle and tells the floating fish head (fake Mr. Magic) what he did, and while Mr. Magic is making excuses about why he can't help him, Patrick discovers a fish talking through a microphone. The fish says he can't do magic and only made the kits to earn money. Then SpongeBob becomes hysterical over that he was a fake and Mr. Magic calls security and he and Patrick are thrown out. They return home where SpongeBob is again hysterical over what has just happened. In despair, SpongeBob starts to shout magic words and as he does, Squidward comes home and tosses the melted ice cream away. SpongeBob opens his eyes and, seeing Squidward standing there, believes he has successfully changed him back. He then asks to turn Squidward into something else. Squidward runs away and hops onto a fish's motorcycle. Patrick asks SpongeBob to turn him into a jar of mayonnaise so he can eat himself, and amazingly, it works!
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 4, Volume 2
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 4th Season
- The original ending of this episode had SpongeBob and Patrick brutally assaulting Mr. Magic and Squidward shows up to stop them. This was deleted due to an extreme level of violence. This scene was never made nor was it aired on television.
- When SpongeBob opens the box with the magic supplies, he takes out the beard and exclaims, "Beard of Rasputin" This is a reference to Grigori Rasputin, the adviser to the Russian crown who had claimed to be a magician.
- It is revealed the short blue fish with a red swimming suit's name is Charlie.
- The things that SpongeBob get from the Mr. Magic's magical magic kit is the book of spells, wand of whimsy, beard of Rasputin and all important license to practice magic.
- There are two references to The Wizard of Oz: the Brown Tile Road is a parody of the Yellow Brick Road, and Horace B. Magic says "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
- When the "tough fish" slid on the pistachio, SpongeBob got it and put the pistachio back together to get the foot trail away. In the following scene, the pistachio still has the foot trail.
- When Patrick finds the curtain leading to Horace, there is a piece of wood sticking out through the curtain that leads Patrick to open the curtain. However, once the curtain is opened, the elongated piece of wood disappears.
- When SpongeBob checks out the Magic Kit, his socks are missing.
- When Squidward the bus arrived at the bus stop the first time, Dennis walked out. Why would anyone get off of the bus if it was just SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward's Houses?