|Season 1, Episode 20A|
|Airdate:||April 8, 2000|
|Written by:|| Sherm Cohen|
|Directed by:||Edgar Larrazabal|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Neptune's Spatula"||"Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II"|
"Hooky" is the first segment of the 20th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
Mr. Krabs rushes to the Krusty Krab shouting like a maniac, telling of the return of the (fishing) hooks. SpongeBob is confused, and Mr. Krabs tells him that he has to be careful when near a hook, or he will be brought up to the surface and eaten or sold at a gift shop.
Patrick shows up, saying that the carnival has come to town and insisting that SpongeBob come with him but SpongeBob is yet to know Patrick is referring to the hooks as the Carnival. He agrees, assuming that he's not quitting work but just taking a break. Much to SpongeBob's horror, the "carnival" is really the site of the hooks to Mr. Krabs warned everyone about. Patrick deliberately hooks himself, and shoots up towards the surface on it. SpongeBob panics until he sees Patrick again; he had jumped off and floated down before he reached the surface of the sea. SpongeBob and Patrick continue to ride the hooks until Mr. Krabs catches them when Squidward tells him that SpongeBob took a break. Krabs makes them promise to never go near the hooks again.
However, the next day, Patrick persuades SpongeBob to play "hooky" again. SpongeBob denies the request but when he gets near a hook he first looks very sneaky and almost touches the hook, but then realizes he is doing the wrong thing and walks away like nothing happened. However, SpongeBob comes back and plays on the hook, only to get caught on it. Terrified, he runs to the Krusty Krab for help. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that the only way to get the hook off is to take off his clothes right in front of Pearl and her friends. He first takes off his pants, revealing his underwear. Pearl's friends laugh. Squidward some how hooked SpongeBob just so he was naked. SpongeBob gets so upset that he cries out loud and runs back to his house and destroyed forever after the siege of the Krusty Krab. It is then revealed that Squidward hooked SpongeBob in order to teach him a lesson, both Squidward and Mr. Krabs laugh. Meanwhile, Patrick is dropped off by a bus, also destroyed forever and trapped in a tuna can. He asks "Does somebody have a can opener?" and the episode ends.
- Underwater, there are lots of hooks that are very close together, but when Spongebob and Patrick ride one of them like a horse and start getting reeled in, there is only one boat with one fishing line.
- "Hooky" is a slang term for truancy.
- This episode is number 7 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says: "SpongeBob and Patrick as 'rebels without a cause' (or a brain), riding fishermen's hooks and jumping off just before being yanked ashore. This episode inspired the song 'Riding the Hook' on The Best Day Ever CD, with legendary punk rocker Tommy Ramone playing drums!"
- In a promotion for The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Jimmy Neutron appeared in the lower-right hand corner on the day of its premiere, and using one of his inventions, temporarily transformed the cartoon into a puppet show during the scene where Mr. Krabs is making SpongeBob and Patrick recite an oath he is giving.
- Squidward's hooking fish string was small in the end, and the end of the fishing stick is at the Krusty Krab. When SpongeBob was attached to it, the string was massively long, and the fishing stick ended to the top of the ocean.
- This is one of the few occasions that SpongeBob acknowledges Patrick's stupidity.
- Mr Krabs says that nobody has taken a break at the Krusty Krab since the "Chum Famine of '59", but SpongeBob has taken a break in "F.U.N." and many future episodes, and Squidward even went on vacation in "Squeaky Boots".
- SpongeBob says that he always goes to work the way leading to Squidward's and Patrick's houses. In most of the other episodes, he is seen going to work the other way.
- When SpongeBob fruit snacks first came out, an advertisement for them featured the snacks acting out a part of this episode along with scenes from episodes of other Nicktoons.
- When Tom was at the register saying, "Can I get that to go?", he walks into the wall.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sea Stories
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sea Stories
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes