"I Had an Accident" is the second segment of the 56th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
While sandboarding, SpongeBob crashes into the ground butt-first, and is taken to the hospital. The doctorfish says that it took 20 hours to glue it back together, and that if he has another similar injury, he may end up with an "iron butt", a huge machine on wheels connected to where the butt used to be. SpongeBob goes on "around-the-clock butt patrol", and after seeing many potentially dangerous things outside decides to stay home forever with his three friends, "Chip", "Penny", and "Used Napkin". Sandy and Patrick try to persuade to get SpongeBob to come outside, which are to no avail until they attempt to stage a fake gorilla attack. SpongeBob is unconvinced by this, until an actual (live-action) gorilla appears and attacks them. SpongeBob leaves the safety of his home to save his friends, but is easily defeated by the gorilla. The episode ends with a massive non-sequitur: When SpongeBob asks how a gorilla can exist underwater, the gorilla says "George, they're on to us!" and runs away on George The Zebra. Then, a family who was watching the episode get confused and turn it off.
- An alternate name for this episode is "Safety Freak SpongeBob". Some television guides, such as Dish Network, still keep this title. It is known on Charter as "Safety Freak". Comcast has both names; it is displayed as "Safety Freak (I Had an Accident)".
- "Sand Mountain" makes its second appearance in this episode, the first being "Pre-Hibernation Week". It also appeared as a level in Battle for Bikini Bottom.
- This is one of the only times Sandy is seen Jellyfishing.
- This is the first episode to have a "The End". Other episodes with the message include "Wishing You Well", "Banned in Bikini Bottom", and "Planet of the Jellyfish".
- The Portable Gaming System (PGS) Patrick has looks similar to a Nintendo Game Boy Color.
- SpongeBob's fear of danger outside his home is irrational enough to be considered agoraphobia.
- When Patrick gets stung by the jellyfish, he uses the same scream as he did in Pressure.
- This is the final episode to have the Honolulu March music. It wouldn't be used again until the Season 7 episode "Squidward in Clarinetland".
- George the Zebra has spots instead of stripes.
- The woman in the family at the end of the episode is played by Tom Kenny's wife.
- Squidward appears once at Sand Mountian, Once at 7 mile spanking machine, in his window, and watering his plants.
- SpongeBob's reclusive actions are similar to Howard Hughes, although Howard Hughes never left his house because he was afraid of germs, not injuries.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Bikini Bottom Bash
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Tales from the Deep
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 3rd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes