|"I Was a Teenage Gary"|
|Season 1, Episode 13B|
|Airdate:||October 28, 1999|
|Written by:|| Steven Fonti|
|← Previous||Next →|
SpongeBob and Patrick are all set to leave for the Jellyfishing Convention in Ukulele Bottom this weekend. Not being able to take Gary, SpongeBob leaves him in Squidward's responsibility. Lying that he will do it to get SpongeBob and Patrick to leave, he sits in his lounge chair for the whole weekend, ignoring Gary. When SpongeBob gets back, Squidward remembers Gary. However, when he goes to get Gary, he finds him very sick. Realizing that something is wrong, SpongeBob quickly calls a local veterinarian. He comes over to SpongeBob's house, and gives SpongeBob a syringe full of snail plasma. SpongeBob, while trying to inject Gary, is accidentally injected with snail plasma and turns into a snail. Possibly seeking help, he goes over to Squidward's house, but Squidward is terrified of snail SpongeBob, and makes a mess of his house. Amongst the chaos, Squidward accidentally injects himself with the plasma, turning him into a snail as well. The episode ends with Squidward, now also a snail, SpongeBob, and Gary meowing the song "Blow the man down" on top of a fence. Patrick, annoyed by this, throws a boot at Squidward to get him to be quiet.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Halloween
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob has fallen asleep in his chair. When the rooster crows, he seems to be growing a beard. When he jumps off the chair, the beard is gone.
- Another town named Ukulele Bottom is mentioned in this episode.
- All the nets on the bus to Ukulele Bottom are square.
- When Patrick comes in, the door is left open, but when Squidward knocks, it's closed.
- When Squidward gets in bed he says he hopes that he never sees a snail again. Ironically, in "The Great Snail Race", he adopts Snellie, who is a snail.
- SpongeBob said that he had all of the cans of Gary's snail food marked, but it wasn't mentioned in closed captions.
- It is unknown how SpongeBob and Squidward recovered from this incident. It's possible that the snail plasma eventually wore off or they had some sort of surgery.
- When Squidward exits his house to get a tan, he looks taller and more human-like than usual.
- When SpongeBob says, "What a great friend you are, Squidward." the captions said, "You're a great friend, Squidward."
- When SpongeBob's arm falls off he says "It's OK, I'm a lefty anyway." Yet it was his left hand that falls off. Although, in Neptune's Spatula, he mentions he has two left hands.
- Squidward doesn't seem to know about Gary's existence in this episode, even though he has interacted with him in earlier episodes, most notably "Culture Shock", when he introduced Gary to the audience.
- The narrator does not pronounce the "3 days later" card.
- In the "Lights, Camera, Pants" game there is a painting based on this episode
- In this episode, the snails are seen sitting on a wooden fence. However, there are no fences near the three houses.
- When SpongeBob played fetch with Gary, there was a watch on his arm, but when Gary returns the toy back to SpongeBob, it is gone permanently in the episode.
- When his arm falls off, he doesn't regenerate his arm like he does in The Graveyard Shift. Also when SpongeBob screams, his eyeballs turn into snail eyes, but in the next scene when SpongeBob says, "Gary, I'm fine." his snail eyes has eyelids on them. This maybe due to the animation error.
- At the beginning of the episode, there is no key hole on SpongeBob's front door and when he comes back from the Jellyfishing Convention there is a key hole.
- Spongebob eats Gary's snail food in this episode, but in the episode Missing Identity, Spongebob states that he never knew what it tasted like.