|Season 3, Episode 44B|
|Original air date:||March 1, 2002|
|Written by:|| Paul Tibbitt|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Nasty Patty"||"Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV"|
- "Squidward, we don't need television. Not as long as we have our... imagination."
"Idot Box" is the second segment of the 44th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
Squidward sees a large box being delivered to SpongeBob and Patrick. They open the box, which contains a giant television. However, Patrick and SpongeBob throw the television away and keep the box. Squidward asks why they threw the television away, and SpongeBob responds with the above quote. Squidward, not wanting any part of this, asks for the television, and they let him have it. Once he takes the TV back inside his house, he realizes that the remote control is missing and he goes back outside for it. He hears SpongeBob and Patrick begin to - supposedly - climb a mountain inside the box and, annoyed by their stupidity, he gives the box a hard kick. A sound of an avalanche suddenly erupts from the box, shocking Squidward. Concerned, he taps the box, prompting another avalanche. Squidward hears a critically injured SpongeBob and Patrick saying that their limbs are frozen and that they have to cut them off, and rushes over to the box, opens it, and the noises immediately stop. He questions them about the noises, but they act oblivious and he leaves. Suddenly, the sound of a helicopter is heard and Squidward ducks. Realizing that it's coming from the box, he angrily opens the box and confronts them again. SpongeBob simply tells him that all of it is coming from their imagination. Squidward says that he has plenty of imagination, to which Patrick replies, "Good, now all you need is a box". Squidward gets a box, attempts to imitate SpongeBob and Patrick's experiences, and fails. After kicking his box in anger, he hears the sound of police sirens outside. Thinking that his kicking of the box is the cause, he goes outside with his box to apologize. He is quick to realize that the noises are coming from the box SpongeBob and Patrick are playing in. Furious, he kicks the box he was holding, which Patrick retrieves, saying, "Whoopee! Another box!"
Squidward begins watching TV to get his mind off the box, but all the shows that are on involve boxes. He then hears a space shuttle launch. As he tries to think of how they could possibly manage to make such realistic sound effects, it dawns upon him that they are probably using a tape recorder. Angered, he marches outside and demands the tape recorder from SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob tells him that they don't have a tape recorder, which Squidward doesn't believe. He decides to join them in the box to see how they are managing to make the sound effects. After being asked where he wants to go, he asks to go to "Robot-Pirate Island". However, he sees nothing but SpongeBob and Patrick closing their eyes and saying stereotypical phrases of robots and pirates. Squidward returns to his house and soon hears the sounds of an epic robot-pirate battle. Having enough, Squidward decides to sneak in the box after SpongeBob and Patrick go to bed to find a device that could make the sound effects.
Late at night, after SpongeBob and Patrick abandon the box and go to bed, Squidward sneaks outside and enters the box, looking for something that would make the noise. A scan of the box proves that there is no such device in it. Realizing that the box is in fact empty, Squidward wonders if it really was their imagination that caused the sound effects, but he immediately dismisses the notion, thinking that it's ridiculous. He mockingly starts pretending to be a race car driver, but suddenly he begins to hear noises. He imagines himself racing, and feels all the movements of actually driving a race car. However, in reality, these sounds and movements are due to a garbage truck hauling the box away. It is then dumped into the landfill, and Squidward flies out of the box, landing face-first in a pie. The next day, SpongeBob and Patrick realize the box is gone and they go to check on Squidward, with Patrick remarking, "I hope he's not too down in the dumps today."
- "Idiot box" is a slang term for "television."
- This episode is number 5 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes.
- When Patrick is climbing the mountain, he yells "I am the Lizard king!" which is also a line from the song "Not to Touch the Earth" by The Doors and one of enemies in Dragon's Lair game.
- The sombrero Squidward finds in the hat box ("Why haven't I worn this yet?") is later worn by him in "The Camping Episode".
- The rainbow that resembles Shang Tsung's friendship from Mortal Kombat II, where he does make a rainbow from his hands.
- A LeapPad book based on this episode was made.
- SpongeBob saying "Imagination" became an internet meme.
- The equations, F=MA^2 same as Second Newton's Law, F=MA.
- It is possible for Patrick to be in the hat box because he can get rid of all his limbs and still survive.
- When SpongeBob is reading in bed, his pillow is nowhere to be seen.
- It is unknown what happened to Squidward after he fell into the junkyard, too.
- When Squidward went inside the box, SpongeBob and Patrick were using there imaginations, but they were not making noises, it's probably because Squidward left the box open.
- One of the box programs on the TV is a boxing match between boxes. This is a pun based on the fact that the word box can refer to the sport, and to the object.
- In SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, and SpongeBob's Truth or Square, boxes can be used to teleport around the levels which resemble the box from this episode.
- At the end of the episode, the path from Patrick's rock is missing.
- Squidward tore the note up that SpongeBob has written, but in the next shot all the pieces of the note disappears.
- If Patrick is inside Squidward's gift box inside the TV box, then SpongeBob can hear the noises coming from gift box like Squidward who can hear noises from TV box.
- The box is small, but when Squidward went inside the box it is big on the inside.It might be a reference to Doctor Who.
- When the garbage truck drove away, SpongeBob's house was missing. Also, an arrow appeared on the box.
- Squidward's mouth did not close after he said, "Where's that remote?".
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are lifting the TV out of the box it shows Patrick struggling, but it shows SpongeBob fine.