Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Season 3, Episode 57A|
|Airdate:||April 3, 2004|
|Written by:|| Paul Tibbitt|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"I Had an Accident"||"The Camping Episode"|
"Krabby Land" is the first segment of the 57th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob wakes up, drinks a cup of coffee made by Gary and also eats french toast looks at his calendar. It says "You are a winner", and SpongeBob hugs himself. It also says "first day of summer", and SpongeBob gets excited, and when he goes to work, he sees Mr. Krabs even more excited for summer. SpongeBob asks him why, and he says (incorrectly) that on summer vacation, children go around spending money, and the Krusty Krab will get more profits through kiddie meals (which he raises the price of from $1.99 to $4.99). However, he sees that the children are all at a new playground, and decides to make a playground of his own, Krabby Land.
At work the next day, Mr. Krabs reveals the grand opening of Krabby Land, which he proudly built himself. Krabby Land is little more than a dopey-looking assembly of cheap (and dangerous) attractions such as Fort Adventure, which is nothing more than a collection of big stinky mattresses and other junk. The Dumpster of Doom is another disgusting gem in Mr. Krabs' new nightmare playground. The other attractions are even more terrible, yet bordering on laughable.
The children are horrified, yet speechless with disappointment, but Mr. Krabs gives them coloring books/liability waivers and says that whoever hands theirs back gets to meet "Krabby the Clown". He tells them that Krabby the Clown will come soon, and tells SpongeBob to stall them. SpongeBob pretends to be "the Krabby Patty Burgular", and the children hate him. He accidentally injures himself while trying to amuse them, which makes them laugh. He realizes that they like pain, and begins intentionally harming himself, even hiring two thugs to torture him by feeding him lima beans.
After a while, SpongeBob goes to Mr. Krabs, who is sorting through a large stack of money, presumably the children's, and tells him that he can't stall anymore, being horribly beaten and missing limbs. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob he's being selfish and tells him to "get back to work", but upon seeing SpongeBob's limbs flying around (the children were using them as boomerangs), he fears that his windows will be smashed, and soon, Krabby the Clown (Mr. Krabs in a tie and tomato nose) comes out, and says "Hey kids! Thank you all for coming! Thank you! Eat plenty of Krabby Patties! Ar, ar, ar!" and walks back into his office. This latest rip-off is the last straw for the children.
An extremely disappointed SpongeBob confronts Mr. Krabs, saying that he expected Krabby the Clown, but all he saw was "Cheapy the Cheapskate." Mr. Krabs then says that he isn't cheap, then he takes of his clown nose, but it was actually a tomato. Finally he says to SpongeBob that he does not care about the children but for their money and is willing to do whatever it takes to get their money (even if it means having to scam them with a dangerous playground) and even calls the kids stupid and foolish enough to be the victims of his scam. He then taunts SpongeBob for being unable to stop him in time by saying twice, "Survival of the fittest."
Mr. Krabs tries to go to the bank with the money he has made but he is confronted by an angry mob of children who have overheard his confession and are planning to punish him. Mr. Krabs, realizing that he is about to be punished and has given the kids his confession which was not taken well; tries to reconcile but fails as the kids charge, beat him up, destroy the playground, take back their money and distribute it back to themselves. They also pay the thugs that SpongeBob worked with earlier, to tie up Mr. Krabs and feed him lima beans and to face the other tortures they made SpongeBob face.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge for Hire
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge for Hire
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 3rd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- Krabby Land is a parody of McDonaldland, Playland and/or McDonald's playplaces. Krabby the Clown is most likely a spoof of Krusty from The Simpsons or Ronald McDonald, while the "Krabby Patty Burglar" an obvious parody of the Hamburglar.
- The motto of Krabby Land is "Where a kid can have fun-for the right price". This is a reference to Chuck-E-Cheese's motto, "Where a kid can be a kid".
- The final scene with the kids rioting against Mr. Krabs and taking his money for making a poor character as Krabby the Clown is a likely reference to a 1993 incident at a shopping mall where Barney was billed, but the children became enraged and destructive when a skinny impostor appeared on stage. This may also be akin to The Simpsons episode "Kamp Krusty" when Bart spearheads a revolution against Mr. Black's oppression after seeing Barney hired to be a knockoff Krusty.
- The number of kids who are present at Krabby Land changes throughout the episode.
- The Rocketship Fantastica "ride" is a possible reference to Battlestar Galactica.
- This episode is likely what caused SpongeBob to not like clowns, as shown in Rodeo Daze and Tunnel of Glove.
- The attractions in Krabby land include: "Rocketship Fantistica" (a garbage barrel hanging by a rope), "Dumpster of Doom" (a bashed-in dumpster with the name spray painted on the side), "Hose World" (Hoses hanging from a bar), "Fort Adventure" (a pile of nasty mattresses and other junk), "Toaster Rodeo" (toasters attached to springs), a stack of tires, an old rusty slide, and a bowling ball pool.
- On October 28, 2007, the Best Day Ever marathon in the Netherlands named this episode number one.
- This episode, along with "The Camping Episode" were the last episodes where the closed captions were ahead of the characters' speech.
- The time card is designed the same as the title card for Reef Blower, but with black color in the background.
- Some of the kids are just child versions of Bikini Bottomites.
- The "tough fish" also appeared in "Shanghaied".
- SpongeBob had no arms or legs when the kids took them and used them as boomerangs, but in other episodes they grow back right after he loses them.
- The muscular fish that helps injure SpongeBob is the same fish that beats up Squidward twice in the episode "Boating Buddies".