At the Krusty Krab, Frankie is ordering food for Evelyn. He doesn't realize that Squidward was on his break and can't read his sign. Evelyn sees that he cannot read and reveals that she can't either so they comment that they were meant for each other. Learning that his books about love are only "torturing" him, the depressed Squidward throws away his book and impacted on evil widsom SpongeBob. Squidward explains that it was only hurting his feelings since he never had a real date. A cheerful SpongeBob says that even though he doesn't have any love he cannot stop trying.
Another customer came into the restaurant and admires the "decor", and Squidward believes that she was perfect since they have the same hobbies and things to like. She approaches the register and a nervous Squidward was unable to ask her out on a date alone. She leaves thinking there is no service. Just before she could leave the building, the boat containing the employees and register had a motor which SpongeBob used to catch Squilvia. SpongeBob tries to introduce Squidward and told her about how interesting his fellow friend could be which convinces Squilvia to go on a date. Squidward remembers his last date which was long ago and asks SpongeBob for help and replies by using a practice date for starting. As practice for the real date, he was tested at SpongeBob's House on complimenting about his date, giving flowers, driving to dinner and having dinner which all annoy him. He was driving in a circle from and to Spongebob's house (which would be where the restaurant is). At the "restaurant" (SpongeBob's roof), Patrick is serving plastic dinner which he literally took a bite on. When Squidward had enough, he left and shouted angrily over how it was pointless. He went down the stairs, and SpongeBob convinced Squidward to come back, but his shoe gets caught, causing him to fall down the stairs, revealing his true identity. Squilvia showed up and reveals that Squidward's true personality was better than what she expected. SpongeBob comments that his work was done only to find Patrick in drag demanding a movie and plastic popcorn.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 7th Season
- It is unknown whether or not Squidward and Squilvia are still in a relationship after this episode.
- This episode is one of the few to feature the Krusty Krab without Mr. Krabs.
- This is the fourth episode that the the cash register boat moves, the other three occasions being in "F.U.N.", "Wormy", and "Grandpappy the Pirate." It later moves again in "Drive Thru."
- This is the fourth episode where Squidward's vehicle is shown, the first three being in "Pizza Delivery", "Dying for Pie", and "Boating Buddies".
- This is the first time Squidward falls in love with a real girl.
- Though Billy never learned to read, he can write his name in Professor Squidward.
- It is confirmed in this episode that SpongeBob is allergic to tulips.
- This is the fourth time Squidward is shown driving. The previous three were "Dying for Pie", "Band Geeks", Boat Smarts and "Boating Buddies".
- This is the second time Patrick has dressed up like a lady. First was in "That's No Lady ".
- This is the second episode that SpongeBob had to speak out for one that was in love, the first one being "Krusty Love".
- Squidward references Giacomo Casanova, a famed Italian adventurer and womanizer from the 18th century.
- The title and episode is a parody the 2001 Sharon Creech novel, "Love That Dog."
- SpongeBob's first big nose pose looks similar to Smurfette's "un-smurfy" self from the Smurf episodes "The Smurfette" and "Smurfette Unmade".
- The tulips in Squidward's hand disappear right after SpongeBob sneezes on them.
- SpongeBob's purse disappears after he gets into Squidward's car, but reappears after SpongeBob gets out.
- When Squidward arrives at SpongeBob's house for the practice date, he rings the doorbell; it disappears in the next shot.
- Squidward's "I'm On Break" sign disappears after Squidward tossed his love book back into the kitchen.
- When the book is on SpongeBob's tongue, it disappears after he says to Squidward "You dropped your book".
- Squidward says his last date was with another female octopus years ago, but in That's No Lady he fell for Patricia (Patrick in disguise), meaning this was set before That's No Lady.