|"Mall Girl Pearl"|
|Season 9, Episode 197A|
|Airdate:||March 12, 2016|
|Written by:||Clare O'Kane|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Married to Money"||"Two Thumbs Down"|
The episode opens to Pearl's room. She is looking at a picture of Boys Who Cry. She kisses it, then calls Marina, one of her friends. Pearl asks if she wants to hang out. Marina says she has to work at Hotdog on a String, so she cannot. Marina then serves a customer a Hotdog on a String, much to her disgust. Pearl then calls Nocturna, another friend. She asks if she wants to make fun of boys with her. Nocturna's response was that she has to work at Scorched Coral. Pearl calls Nixie. Pearl asks if she wants to come over to her house. However, Nixie said that she has to work at Bangles and Dangles.
Pearl looks at the picture of Boys Who Cry. Later, she goes downstairs where Mr. Krabs is. Mr. Krabs thinks that Pearl is going to ask for money, so he locks his wallet and swallows it. Pearl tells him that she'll get a job at the mall. Excited to here this, Mr. Krabs starts bouncing on the walls and roof of his home. He says that instead of her using his money for clothes and school supplies, she could use her job money. However, Pearl asks for ten dollars, so Mr. Krabs gets his wallet out of his mouth, unlocks it, and gives ten dollars to Pearl.
Meanwhile at the mall, Pearl goes to Hotdog on a String for a job. Marina tells her boss, Mr. Pepalino, that Pearl wants a job. Marina takes Pearl to the boss's room. Pearl tries to get in, but due to her size, she cannot fit in. However, Mr. Pepalino is laying uncomfortable on Pearl's back and gets grilled. He says that he is not hiring Pearl. She then goes to Scorched Coral. Pearl asks Nocturna for a job. She said that her business was hiring and already got an angry whale who looks almost like Pearl. Afterward, she goes to Bangles and Dangles. She asks Nixie for a job. Nixie introduces Pearl to the manager. She says that she is not hiring Pearl.
Meanwhile, Pearl is sitting on the floor eating a hot dog from Hotdog on a String. She says that if she doesn't get a job, she'll have to hang out with her dad. An old woman named Beatrice shows up and takes Pearl to her store. They go down the escalator and go to a part of the mall that looks like a city with criminals. Pearl asks what a horrible smell is. Beatrice's response was that it's one of the many perfumes she sells at Grandma's Apron. When they get inside Beatrice hires Pearl. Meanwhile, Marina, Nocturna and Nixie are sitting at a table, waiting for Pearl. Nocturna asks if Pearl got a job. Pearl said that she works at Grandma's Apron. Marina laughs and asks if she's really serious, Nocturna says that that store is for old people, and Nixie says that old people are so old. They all start laughing.
Meanwhile at Grandma's Apron, Pearl's friends show up laughing. Pearl begins to cry. Beatrice tells her that it's nothing to be ashamed of. She shows her a book of pictures from when she was in school. Beatrice tells Pearl that when she was young, everyone in school teased her and called her "Boring Beatrice." She then teaches Pearl how to be a grandma. They are then shown knitting, making cookies, and riding scooters. After that, Pearl's friends come back to Grandma's Apron. Marina sees Pearl's shoes and makes fun of them. Beatrice tells her to stop. However, Marina tries to use her hot dogs on strings to attack. Beatrice knits a scarf and ties the trio together. She then tells them about the time when she saw the first picture show. After that, Pearl's friends apologize to her. Beatrice told her that even though being a grandma is fun, it's best to live young. Pearl then hangs out with her friends.
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2016 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This is the sixth time that an episode (along with the sister episode "Two Thumbs Down") premiered on Kids Choice Night. The first was "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" in 1999, the second was "Krusty Towers"/"Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" in 2006, the third was "Sentimental Sponge" in 2011, the fourth was "Are You Happy Now?"/"Planet of the Jellyfish" in 2012, and the fifth was "Kenny the Cat" in 2014.
- SpongeBob only has three cameos in this episode. He also has one line in the episode, which is in the very last scene.
- The graffiti on one of the stores says "Squidward Smells" and "Krabs is a," which is a reference to "Sailor Mouth."
- This is the third episode in which Pearl is the main protagonist, the first being "Whale of a Birthday" in 2006, and "Growth Spout" in 2009.
- This episode did not include a promo.
- Running Gag: SpongeBob chasing Squidward in the background.
- On the original airing, the show's intro is replaced with the Live Orange Carpet Coverage of the 2016 KCAs, with the intro synced to the audience.
- Karen makes a cameo in the episode, marking this as the first time she appears without Plankton.
- The "One Hour Later..." time card of this episode has the same background as the title cards from the episodes "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" and "Summer Job."
- The title card of this episode is similar to the ones of "Porous Pockets" (colored in green) and "Perfect Chemistry" (colored in blue, with triangles right side up), while this episode's one is in pink. It also is similar to the one of "New Fish in Town" where the triangles are sideways instead.
- Out of four store employees in the episode, only two of them were revealed before the episode aired. The two who were revealed were Nocturna and Beatrice. The other two who were kept secret were secret Marina and Nixie. This is because only two out of four of them were voiced by special guest voice actors.
- This episode marks the first physical non-speaking appearance of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy since the death of Ernest Borgnine. It also marks the first appearance of Bubble Buddy since "Bubble Buddy Returns," the first appearance of Karen since The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, the first appearance of Carl since "Selling Out," the first appearance of Dougie Williams since "Squirrel Jokes," the first appearance of Mime since "The Sponge Who Could Fly," the first appearance of Health Inspector Yellowtail since Fish Food Rescue: The Krusty Krab, the first appearance of Boys Who Cry since "Whale of a Birthday," the first appearance of Granny since "Boating Buddies," the first appearance of Electric Eel since "Enchanted Tiki Dreams," and the first appearance of Mama Krabs since "Spongicus."
- This episode premiered in Canada on July 1, 2016 which is ironically Canada Day.
- In the first shot of Bangles and Dangles, a Mime can be seen walking past it. In the second shot of Bangles and Dangles, Carl can be seen walking past it but in the opposite direction.
- Moral: Respect your elders, don't let bullying get to you and don't be in a rush to grow up. Otherwise, you'll miss the fun of youth.
- Hot dog on a String is a reference to the real life Hot dog on a Stick resturants.
- When Pearl first reads the Coral Cuties magazine, the words "Coral Cuties" on the back is shown in yellow text. However, after Pearl puts the magazine down, the text turns to red. Also, Derrick disappears from the back until Pearl picks up the magazine again.
- Even though the store is called "Bangles and Dangles," Nixie called it by "Dangles and Bangles" earlier in the episode.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|