- "Oh, a dark and stormy night. It's nights like these that remind me of the time Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob thought they killed the health inspector."
- ―The French Narrator at the very beginning of the episode
"Nasty Patty" is the first segment of the 44th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
While SpongeBob is cooking and Mr. Krabs is having a "money bath", a health inspector arrives for a surprise inspection. He tells SpongeBob to get him everything on the menu, and SpongeBob gives it to him. Meanwhile, a television report reveals that someone is pretending to be a health inspector to obtain free food. Mr. Krabs believes that the health inspector on their premises is the impostor, and thus he and SpongeBob make a "nasty patty", a Krabby Patty that has been made with Volcano Hot Sauce, seahorse radish, toenail clippings, then dropped into the toilet and dried with Mr. Krabs's gym socks. Just before the health inspector eats it, a fly goes into his mouth and knocks him out and kill it. As SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs watch him suffer from the kitchen, another TV report comes on that reveals that he was not the impostor. They believe that their patty killed the health inspector, and begin to panic. They keep giving each other the blame, and ultimately decide to take the body and bury it.
Later that night, SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and the "dead" body of the inspector go up the hill, SpongeBob humorously disgusted with the body, and repeatedly spraying himself and the body with disinfectant and dragging it with a tissue. Mr. Krabs orders SpongeBob to dig a hole to bury the body in, and after hitting a rock, SpongeBob throws it out of the way—and on to the health inspector's head, who was just waking up, knocking him back into unconciousness. The police then suddenly arrive, offering to take them back to the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob is too shocked for words, and becomes extremely nervous. The rain causes the mud on the hill to erode, exposing the body of the health inspector. SpongeBob puts it in the trunk of the car. By this point, SpongeBob has humorously become maniacal with his nervousness, and slides in the car without any motion. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs discuss the plan on what to do with the body, and nearly reveals it to the officers, only to be quickly stopped and saved by Mr. Krabs. By this point, the suspicion is raised between the police and SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs.
SpongeBob is in charge of taking the body and the shovel and stowing it into the freezer. However the back door is locked, leaving SpongeBob to carry on his most difficult task: he marches through the front door—with the body stuffed hilariously into his hat, making him lose his balance as he struggles to walk over to the door to the kitchen freezer. The officers question Krabs about SpongeBob's strange behavior, only for him to attempt to stall them and bribe them with money. The officers are then called through their walkie talkies and recieve a report about two people burying a body on the hill—obviously SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs with the inspector. But as they are about to leave, the officer wants a soda, which Mr. Krabs quickly hands over. But then the officer wants ice as well, and Mr. Krabs grows really nervous—which only makes the officer nearly march into the freezer. But Mr. Krabs, nervous beyond definition, barricades the door and barrels excuses about the ice. The police simply shoves him aside and is about to get the ice herself, when they confess their crimes. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs throw blackmails and blame on each other, and when they reveal that the body is supposedly in the freezer, she opens the door, and there is nothing there. She thinks it's a joke, and closes the door. She jokingly suggests that he became a zombie and walked out, and the health inspector suddenly appears behind them. The police begin savagely beating him, believing him to truly be a zombie, and after they figure out that he is, in fact, alive, the health inspector shows Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob the review sheet, which reveals that the Krusty Krab passed the test earlier that morning.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeGuard on Duty
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 3rd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- In this episode, the Krusty Krab has a green neon sign (this could be a reference to the movie Psycho), and it is on the right side of the Krusty Krab, when regularly, it is on the left.
- In the video game SpongeBob SquarePants: Lights, Camera, Pants! there is a level called "Flippin' Out". In it, there is an enemy called Chum Bucket Patties, which resemble the Nasty Patty.
- Mr. Krabs calls SpongeBob a "loony loofah" referring that he resembles a household sponge material rather than a true sea sponge.
- Another Krabby Patty with toenail clippings would be produced in "Krusty Towers".
- The health inspector appears again in "The Krabby Kronicle".
- The health inspector should've died while choking, or when he was hit by the rock because the force of the impact would've caused a fatal skull fracture.
- The Nasty Patty can be seen in the cabinet in the PC game SpongeBob SquarePants: Employee of the Month. Also, a Krabby Patty that looks similar to the Nasty Patty can be seen in "The Algae's Always Greener", and another in "To Love a Patty".
- This episode is slightly controversial due to its morbidness.
- It is revealed in this episode that Mr. Krabs would rather lose his money than go to jail. Either that or he was just thinking fast when he said "It's Open Cash Register Night."
- The health inspector gets knocked out and wakes up 3 times in this episode. He accidentally swallowed a fly when he was going to eat the Nasty Patty, then woke up again and got knocked out by the rock, then woke up again in the back of the car then got hit in the head when SpongeBob was closing the car, and then he woke up in the freezer and escaped.
- This episode's plot is somewhat similar to the 1997 film, I Know What You Did Last Summer.
- When the nasty patty is shown, it looks like is was drawn by Basil Wolverton, an illustrator for "Mad Magazine".
- The menu item, Diet Red Tide, is based on red tide, a large concentration of algae which discolors the water, usually into a reddish color.
- It is unknown why Squidward was not working at the Krusty Krab that day (he likely had the day off).
- After the health inspector drops the Nasty Patty, it looks like a normal Krabby Patty.
- When the police stop Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob, their car only has front seats. But when Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob get in, there are 2 or 3 back seats.
- When Mr. Krabs gives the soda to the female cop and she says "Always a pleasure to serve the folks in blue, well good bye now", "to serve the folks in blue" is missing from the captions.
- When Mr. Krabs says "Ice? Is that what you want? Ice is what you want?", the last "what you want" is missing from the captions.
- When Mr. Krabs says "Ahoy there, SpongeBob! I thought you were out back taking care of that shovel!", he has no teeth when he says "shovel".
- When SpongeBob was dragging he health inspector to bury him, his hat is missing. But when he slides down the hill, the hat is back on.
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs are burying the health inspector, his head is sticking out with the rest of his body in the ground. But when they are talking to the police, he is buried in the traditional way: horizontally.
- When Mr. Krabs was taking a bath in money, soap bubbles were seen rising out, which is not possible as there is not even water nor soap in the tub he was in or else his money will be soggy and ruined.
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs are laughing and screaming about killing the health inspector, the stove is sitting to the right of the order window. Normally, it is centered under the order window.
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs are burying the health inspector, SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he kept his head above ground in case he needed air, despite the fact that they are underwater.
- At some point during the episode, the captions stop, and they come back on when Mr. Krabs says "Okay, I confess!", or when SpongeBob says "The dark deed you requested is done, sir." The caption for the line that the captions return at is a glitch.
- For the whole episode, the fry strainers are missing from the kitchen.
- After the health inspector falls, Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob should've noticed the Nasty Patty didn't have a bite in it, thus proving it was not responsible for his "death". They were probably too panicked to notice.
- The health inspector would probably be dead after choking and being hit in the head five times.
- When the police come in the Krusty Krab, the Krusty Krab sign is on the right. When SpongeBob enters the Krusty Krab, the sign is on the left. Also, the lighting of the sign is light green, not red.
- Unlike the other episodes, the entire back of the Krusty Krab is metal in this episode.