|Airdate:||April 1, 2000|
|Guest(s):||John O'Hurley as King Neptune|
|Writer(s):|| Chuck Klein|
David B. Fain
|Storyboard Artist(s):||Jay Lender|
</div></div></div> |} “Neptune’s Spatula” is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one.
Brief summary: After SpongeBob pulls the golden spatula out of the bucket of grease, he has to compete against King Neptune in a burger-making contest, so that if he wins, he will go to Atlantis to cook for Neptune and be a god. But can a fry-cook like him be worthy and well-skilled for this?
Time cards shown: None
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- King Neptune
- Patrick Star
- Larry the Lobster
- Ice-cream vendor (Lou)
- Everyone else at Fry Cook museum
- Mr. Krabs
- Audience at Poseidome
- Tom Kenny
- We're going to Atlantis
- "We're going to Atlantis!"
- (repeat once)
At the fry cook museum, SpongeBob and Patrick are amazed by everything. They see a greasy griddle with a golden spatula embedded in the grease. On it is a plaque, which says "Many have tried to pull this spatula out of this ancient grease, but all have failed. Only a fry cook worthy of King Neptune himself can wield the golden spatula". SpongeBob actually pulls it out, and King Neptune appears. He asks who pulled out the spatula, and everyone says SpongeBob. King Neptune refuses to believe this, and asks for proof. Patrick shows him the photograph he took. King Neptune asks SpongeBob if he wants to compete with him in a burger-cooking competition. Patrick keeps on saying how good SpongeBob is, so he's zapped many times by King Neptune. SpongeBob says yes, if Patrick is returned to normal (He agrees, but accidentally makes his face on his butt). If SpongeBob wins, he will stay at Atlantis forever and become a god. If he loses, he has to give up fry-cooking forever. In the Poseidome, King Neptune makes 1000 burgers, while SpongeBob only makes one. However, SpongeBob's tastes delicious while King Neptune's tastes terrible. So SpongeBob wins. But he doesn't want to leave his friends, so they arrange for King Neptune to be a trainee under SpongeBob at the Krusty Krab.
- → Main article: Transcript: Neptune's Spatula
- The Poseidome is taken from Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea. (Neptune being the Roman).
- The whole spatula in the "ancient grease" is a reference to the Arthurian legend of Excalibur, or the sword in the stone in which whoever pulls the sword from the stone would become the King of England. Also, the fact that it's called "ancient grease" can be seen as a play on Ancient Greece (even though Neptune is actually an Ancient Roman God.)
- Neptune metion in the episode Apollo,god of the sun and saying Atlantis is a prize worth of him.
- SpongeBob accepted King Neptune's challenge as long as he fixed his friend, Patrick, because he had previously fried patrick several times. King Neptune complied, but put Patrick's face on his butt. In later episodes Patrick looks normal again. Also a goof in this episode is the fact that when Patrick's face is on his butt, it is outside on his shorts. If King Neptune had put Patrick's face on his butt, he shouldn't have been able to see, because he was wearing shorts.
- This episode has a transvestite reference. At the beginning, an old lady asks Patrick where the menu section is, when SpongeBob tells her, he accidentally pulls the spatula from the grease. When smoke appears and things get creepy, the old lady says in a very manly voice "Holy Smokes!" causing Patrick to comment "Rude!"
- This is one of few times SpongeBob works the register.
- List of "qualities" that a royal fry cook must have:
- Must be left-handed (SpongeBob has two left hands.)
- Must wear red or blue underwear
- His wallet contains (unknown)
- His big toes are (unknown)
- He has six (unknown)
- Though Neptune is a Roman God, he takes SpongeBob to a sports arena he calls "The Poseidome", which is a reference to his Greek name Poseidon.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie is somewhat similar to this episode, regarding that some of the jokes are used again (such as Patrick heightening the number of tasks SpongeBob can do (though he was lowering the number of days it would take SpongeBob to get the crown back in the movie). Also, in the movie King Neptune is voiced by someone else and looks different. But in Krusty Towers Squidward mentions King Neptune XIV, which is a possibility the two may be different.
- The man taking a shower is actually Tom Kenny himself.
- This is the third episode between SpongeBob, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs; the first 2 were Suds and Arrgh!; and the last 7 were Squirrel Jokes, Life of Crime,Sailor Mouth, The Fry Cook Games, Driven to Tears, The Pink Purloiner, and Krusty Krushers
- Along with "I Was a Teenage Gary" and "The Paper", this episode isn't broadcast as much since it is paired with a holiday episode.
- This is the first episode to have computerized picture-shaking effects. They occur when Neptune laughed heartily, and when he body slammed with Larry the Lobster.
- The music heard while SpongeBob is facing against Neptune during the challenge is heard in Dunces and Dragons
- Why couldn't SpongeBob use his Hydro-dynamic Spatula to make a lot of Krabby Patties very fast to win the challenge?
- Neptune appears to be different sizes throughout the episode, however it is revealed he can change his size in the ending.
- When SpongeBob pulled out spatula the woman who said Holy Smokes had a younger male-ish voice.
|Media releases:||Episodes | Seasons: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 | The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie | Movie Soundtrack | The Yellow Album | Video releases | Transcripts|
|Cast and Crew:||Stephen Hillenburg | Tom Kenny | Bill Fagerbakke | Rodger Bumpass | Carolyn Lawrence | Mr. Lawrence | Clancy Brown|
|Characters:||SpongeBob | Patrick | Squidward | Mr. Krabs | Sandy | Gary | Plankton | Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy | Pearl | Mrs. Puff | Larry | Flying Dutchman | King Neptune | Squilliam | Patchy the Pirate|
|Bikini Bottom:||List of Places | Places Beyond | Chum Bucket | Goo Lagoon | Krusty Krab | Mrs. Puff's Boating School|
|Other:||| Krabby Patty | Jellyfishing|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Neptune's Spatula. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|"Fools in April"||"Hooky"|