SpongeBob reads a scary book before bedtime. Because of this, he sees scary creatures when he turns off the light, such as the chair being a monstrous brain beast, and a coral branch tapping the window as a monster's hand.
When at the Krusty Krab, he gets terrified of a pot on his head, then he tells Mr. Krabs that if he blinks, he sees something scary, he then tries not to blink, but it does not work, he then gets spooked by the dark in the freezer when Mr. Krabs wanted him to get some fresh patties. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get a night light so he won't be scared of the dark. He first buys one and however, buys more when he finds darkness in his house. Eventually, there are thousands of night lights in every room.
Patrick wakes up and sees SpongeBob's house lit up. He thinks SpongeBob is throwing a party and goes to his house, but SpongeBob warns him about the dark so he brings his rock inside SpongeBob's pineapple. While getting more night lights, Squidward tells them that they have too many lights and that the creepy creatures of the dark are just their imagination. While SpongeBob and Patrick get a lighthouse, it makes an M in the sky so Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy come. Meanwhile, the Moth, one of Mermaid Man's enemies who he has been searching 57 years for, finds the light, but SpongeBob traps him inside the lighthouse. The Moth then carries the lighthouse along with the pineapple.
SpongeBob and Patrick are alone in the dark until the sun rises. Patrick goes up to get it, thinking it is a light and SpongeBob falls asleep. Patrick comes down again on fire shouting "Too much light!"
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Friend or Foe?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 5, Part 1
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 5th Season
- This was Chris Mitchell's last episode working on the show.
- SpongeBob develops boogophobia, a phobia of the "boogeyman."
- The Moth looks similar to Superman, the Owlman, Mothman, and even Man Ray.
- When Moth lifts up SpongeBob's entire pineapple, only the very top should go since it detached from the rest of the house.
- It is revealed that Squidward has a mirror on his bedroom ceiling.
- This is the first time that Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy appear in an episode that does not have their names in the episode title.
- Chronologically, the unofficial name of the episode was "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VII," but the sequencing stopped after "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture."
- When SpongeBob looked at the bathroom being dark, if one would look closely (or possibly stand up), his pet scallop can be seen.
- When the lighthouse shines its light through the pineapple, at first the "M" looks like it has more of a curve, but when Mermaid Man finds out the signal is a false alarm, the signal looks like a normal "M."
- SpongeBob develops a fear to something after seeing something scary and keeps overreacting in both episodes.
- This episode premiered on Jim Wise's 43rd birthday.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|
| This article is missing an appropriate picture.|
You can help Nickipedia by adding one.