|Season 1, Episode 5A|
|Airdate:||August 14, 1999|
|Written by:|| Sherm Cohen|
|Directed by:||Sherm Cohen|
|Guest(s):||Doug Lawrence as the truck driver|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Boating School"||"Home Sweet Pineapple"|
"Pizza Delivery" is the first segment of the fifth episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
It is closing time at the Krusty Krab, and Mr. Krabs receives a phone call ordering a pizza. Despite the fact that the Krusty Krab neither serves pizza nor makes deliveries, Mr. Krabs creates a pizza from Krabby Patties and has Squidward and SpongeBob deliver it, much to Squidward's dismay.
Outside, Squidward tells SpongeBob to start their boat. However, SpongeBob notes he is still in boating school, but Squidward (being lazy) tells SpongeBob it was just around the corner. SpongeBob nervously begins "backing up", exhausting the entire gas tank, leaving them stuck in the middle of nowhere. Squidward kicks the boat in anger, and it instantly jump-starts and drives away without them. SpongeBob suggests they deliver the pizza on foot, and so they start walking. Along the way, SpongeBob sings a song about the Krusty Krab Pizza, and how it is the best pizza on the sea floor. When they see a truck, SpongeBob attempts to catch a ride by hitchhiking like the "pioneers", but fails and is almost hit by the truck. Soon after, they enter strong winds, where Squidward tries to take the pizza from SpongeBob. While they struggle, the winds carry them into a tornado, which spits them out, sending them flying into the distance. When they land, the road is nowhere in sight, and Squidward concludes that they have become hopelessly lost. SpongeBob sees a moss-covered rock, and says that, according to the pioneers, moss always points to civilization. However, Squidward insists on going in the opposite direction, and SpongeBob follows. The screen then pans away to reveal that the moss indeed pointed towards the city.
Eventually, the duo collapses on the ground, tired and hungry. SpongeBob comments that the pioneers would eat coral in times of hardship, Squidward tries to eat it, and when he finds it inedible, he tries the take the pizza from SpongeBob again, this time trying to tempt him into eating it. However, SpongeBob realizes what he is trying to do, and just as Squidward is about to resort to violence, SpongeBob sees a rock (or a boulder) and proclaims that they are saved, explaining that the pioneers "used to ride these babies for miles."
Squidward, of course, scoffs at the ludicrous idea of driving a rock, but when SpongeBob is able to successfully do so, he begins to follow him. Soon they arrive at the customer's house and SpongeBob walks up eagerly to the door to give him his meal. The customer, who turns out to be Tom is at first glad to get his pizza. However, Tom then gets unnecessarily mad with SpongeBob because the latter had supposedly forgotten the Diet Dr. Kelp soda, since Tom insists he ordered the drink with the pizza (Possibly because Mr. Krabs hung up the phone before Tom got the chance to fully finish his order, because he was too anxious to get paid). SpongeBob, of course, tries to explain that there had been no drink included in the order but Tom refuses to listen and as a result of SpongeBob's "forgetting", he rudely refuses to pay for the pizza and slams the door shut on SpongeBob. SpongeBob is emotionally hurt by this, and falls to the ground, crying. Feeling bad for SpongeBob and angered at Tom's misunderstanding, Squidward marches to the door and shoves the pizza into Tom's face in revenge for his behavior, yelling that it's "on the house." After the confrontation, the two drive back to work, which ironically is only a few yards away. Realizing that their journey was entirely unnecessary, Squidward gripes and says, "Work? Oh, my aching tentacles!"
This episode is number twenty on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
"The classic setup: SpongeBob and Squidward lost in the desert while delivering a pizza to a customer's home. Squidward just wants to get out of there, but SpongeBob sees his pizza delivery as a sacred oath between himself and the customer. I like when SpongeBob singing to himself - 'The Krusty Krab pizza is the pizza' ...turns into a bizarre gospel jingle singer-'Krusty Kray -ya ya-yaa-aaab!'"
This episode was voted to be the number one SpongeBob episode of all time by fans in the Ultimate SpongeBob Sponge Bash.
- Tom says that he ordered a "Diet Dr. Kelp". Dr. Kelp is a spoof on Dr. Pepper.
- The driver's seat on SpongeBob and Squidward's boat is on the right side, which means that it is a British car. (however, most modern boats have the driver's seat on the right side).
- When SpongeBob, looks at the gear lever, he hallucinates the Korean words "앞으로가" (Apeuroka, which means Forward) in place of "Forward" and "뒤로가" (Tuiroka, which means reverse) in place of "Reverse".
- After Squidward is run over by SpongeBob's rock, his eyes momentarily become the same color as his skin.
- As SpongeBob dances in joy at finding the rock, he executes two pushups. However, "MuscleBob BuffPants", he couldn't even do one pushup. However, later on in "The Fry Cook Games" and "Stanley S. SquarePants", he is able to do many pushups. Perhaps SpongeBob's excitement gave him energy to do two pushups.
- This is the first time a tornado appears. The second time will be in "Pineapple Fever".
- The music that plays when Squidward stomps angrily toward Tom is heard throughout the entirety of "Reef Blower".
- This is one of the few episodes in which Squidward shows his liking for SpongeBob, despite the fact that he forcibly attempts to take the pizza from him in this episode as well.
- When SpongeBob is running away from Squidward, then hits him and falls on the ground, SpongeBob sits on the ground, missing his hat.
- The background music heard when SpongeBob sings is the same as in the title card. SpongeBob would do the same thing in "New Digs".
- On SpongeBob's Nick.com games channel, there is a game named Pizza Toss where you throw pizzas to customers.
- Squidward calls SpongeBob "Jethro" twice in this episode. This is a reference to The Beverly Hillbillies.
- This episode's title card music is a classic conga beat, and other variations of it have been used in other cartoons, such as Tom and Jerry.
- The scene when SpongeBob and Squidward back up the boat with SpongeBob saying "backing up, backing up" repeatedly became a hit meme on YouTube.
- For some reason, Squidward saying "Oh, my aching tentacles" at the end is removed on YTV airings of this episode.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Christmas
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob, You're Fired!
- ↑ The truck-driver is voiced by Doug Lawrence, but the end credits for this episode mistakenly state that he was voiced by Rodger Bumpass.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|