"Pressure" is the first segment of the 32nd episode of SpongeBob SquarePants
While Sandy and SpongeBob sit down to watch the clouds, she challenges SpongeBob to a mountain-climbing contest, and she wins after a head start. SpongeBob challenges Sandy to a running race to the Krusty Krab, and he wins by the same means as Sandy. Sandy boasts that land creatures are better than sea creatures, saying that they have way more skills and abilities than any water breathers. SpongeBob and his friends stubbornly reject this allegation and point out things that Sandy can't do. She is angered, and takes off her helmet and her suit. She eventually can't breathe, and uses a pickle jar as a substitute helmet. To settle the issue, she challenges Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward to go above the surface for 1 minute, which they agree to do but almost chicken out at the last minute. Unwilling to let her win, they go up to the surface and find it to be pretty easy until they are attacked by a pair of hungry seagulls. Sandy rushes up to the surface to find her friends in danger, and beats up the seagulls to save her friends. Back on the ocean floor, the two sides come to the realization that everybody, sea and land creatures alike, are great at something, but nobody's great at everything. They then start cheering for being sorry to each other and SpongeBob and Sandy making up with each other. The seagulls are then shown all beaten up and sarcastically saying "Hooray" too.
- This episode marks the first time that Sandy's helmet is ruined. It would happen again in "Single Cell Anniversary" and "Bubble Troubles".
- This also marks the first time that Sandy got breathless by the water. The next three are "Single Cell Anniversary," "Whelk Attack," and "Bubble Troubles". However, on "Dunces and Dragons," Sandy was not wearing her helmet, but she was breathing underwater. On "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy," Plankton was in Sandy's pelt, and SpongeBob thought she could breath underwater.
- Dish Network accidentally labeled this and "The Smoking Peanut" as the 45th episode.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants "SuperSponge" game for the PS1 shows four scenes from this episode in the game intro.
- On the island, SpongeBob is a kitchen sponge, Patrick is a real starfish, Mr. Krabs is a toy crab made to look like a real crab, Squidward is a puppet of a squid with a big nose and his own eyes, and Sandy is a Ty-Beany Baby Plush Squirrel Toy with a small plastic dome on her head.
- In this episode, Patrick realizes that Sandy is a girl, even though he referred to Sandy as 'she' and 'her' in the previous episodes. It might be a joke from Patrick or because he is too dumb.
- Sandy dares them to go on the island of "Bikini Atoll", which was an island that was destroyed by the first Hydrogen Bomb test by the United States that is infamous for showering a Japanese fishing boat with radiation. The fact that Bikini Bottom is implied to be directly underneath where Bikini Atoll was located (or possibly the remains of it) would give a good explanation to the show's setting and anthropomorphic characters.
- When SpongeBob flew with his umbrella up the cliff, the flying umbrella was a direct reference to Disney's Mary Poppins. This happens in Grooming Gary also.
- There is a road past the Krusty Krab which was also seen in "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie".
- This is the first time Mr. Krabs appears as a normal crab, which would happen again in "Wishing You Well" and "Rodeo Daze".
- It's impossible that Sandy had beat SpongeBob in the first race in the beginning of the episode.
- Title card background is similar to Bubble Buddy, but having orange flowers instead of blue flowers
- When Sandy is above water, she is wearing her helmet, though she breathes air.
- Mr. Krabs lets SpongeBob drink a 'glass of water' which the water is their breathing place instead of goo which is their water. This implies SpongeBob drank nothing.
- When SpongeBob is dressed like an old man, he has one tooth, but when SpongeBob pulls off the disguise, he has two teeth again. It may been a fake one or he may have detatched it like he did in Walking Small.
- In the episode Tea at the Treedome, SpongeBob and Patrick nearly die when they are in Sandy's house, and have to wear glass fish bowl helmets filled with water, but when they're above water, the air doesn't seem to affect them at all. This is probably because Sandy's Treedome does not have moist air, unlike an island surrounded by water, which would have moist air, which would explain why SpongeBob and Patrick didn't dry up until they were under the heating lamp in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. In the movie the beach outside Shell City should also be dry unless the cold air prevents the water from drying too fast.
- SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Sandy were all naked above water, although Patrick states he lost his trunks, but this is rarely noticeable by most fans. The second time this happen was in "Rodeo Daze", also they don't seem to notice it there either.
- The anchor on Mr. Krabs's office door is blue, but on the next scene it is red like in the other episodes.
- In this episode, Sandy's lungs shrivel up and the right falls off. However if a lung is lost, then breathing would be difficult to do. Despite this, Sandy had no problems with breathing for the remainder of the episode and she doesn't show this problem in episodes following this one.
- In "Big Pink Loser", Patrick loses his breath above water after two seconds, but he never loses his breath again in this episode.
- When SpongeBob arrived at the Krusty Krab, a set of tables can be shown. After the next scene, they're all gone.
- Squidward is somehow able to jump upside-down.
- Sandy is a plush toy in this episode, but in "Rodeo Daze", she is a real squirrel.
- SpongeBob was the only one that went on the island for one minute when Sandy said they made it. Sandy didn't time the others.
- When Sandy takes off her anti-pressure suit, she is unaffected by the intense pressure deep underwater.
- When Sandy tries to hold her breath underwater she tears her suit off. However, she has it back on in the next scene.
- When Sandy and SpongeBob race each other the second time to the Krusty Krab, the Krusty Krab is facing the side, where the front door is to her right when she entered. But when she went in, the Krusty Krab goes back to facing the right way inside, and it makes it look like Sandy is coming in from the left, where there is no door.
- When Sandy goes to the cash register she puts the pickel jar on her head, she really is able to breathe, but the jar is full of water, so how can she breathe? The reason was unknown.
- Mr. Krabs says everyone in his family could stick their eyes into their heads, but it's impossible, however, for Pearl to do so because she's a whale.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeGuard On Duty
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeGuard On Duty
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 2nd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|