|Season 2, Episode 37A|
|Airdate:||November 30, 2001|
|Written by:|| Walt Dohrn|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Krusty Love"||"I'm With Stupid"|
"Procrastination" is the first segment of the 37th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob is assigned to write an essay for boating class. Every time he tries to continue his essay, he constantly procrastinates to the point of him having a nightmare about his procrastination. After this dream, he finally writes the essay in five minutes just before boating school starts. In the end, Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob that she tried to call him to tell him that she cancelled the essay and decided that she will take the class on a field trip to a stoplight. SpongeBob rips his essay and rips himself in half too.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Christmas
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 2nd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- A part where SpongeBob looks out the window and all his friends are there and Patrick rubbing Sandy with Sun Lotion then says, "Come on, SpongeBob!"
- SpongeBob exercising (removed on some airing of the episodes, and sometimes not. The reason is unknown).
- A scene where a video of a drag race car crashing into a wall.
These scenes are only shown on DVD and early airings of the episode, as well as the Nickelodeon Philippines airing of this episode on July 24, 2012. This was most likely because of time constraint. The scene where SpongeBob looks out the window was possibly deleted due to how close Patrick's hands were to Sandy's breasts. After SpongeBob stares at his paper, it now just cuts to him standing on the floor saying "I can feel those juices pumping now!". This was most likely due to time. The race car scene was also removed probably because Nickelodeon didn't want viewers to try racing a car.
- This episode is one of the two episodes with a famous cut scene, the other one being "Just One Bite".
- This episode is among those from the second seasons where the colors occasionally become dull, such as in Your Shoe's Untied.
- This is first time SpongeBob is locked out of his house.
- An instrumental version of the Tiny Tim song from the first episode plays in the background while SpongeBob is cleaning his kitchen.
- This is the first time SpongeBob chokes. He will later choke a second time in Karate Star.
- This is also the first time SpongeBob's house talks or is set on fire. A scene similar to this also happens in Ghost Host, but unlike this episode, the house only roars instead of telling SpongeBob not to waste more time and in the episode Pet Sitter Pat, when it shows SpongeBob's Pineapple home on fire in a thought bubble after SpongeBob's Grandma mentions being in danger of burning down the house if she was not any older (this means as a young adult or an adult) because of all the candles on her cake. It would've been similar to a film made in 2001.
- This is the one hundredth episode on Best Day Ever marathon Rank on Television and Turbo Nick.
- During the scene when SpongeBob runs through a hall, and on title card, there are deformed, melted and melting clocks. This may be a reference to The Persistence of Memory.
- In the 2012 R-rated comedy movie Ted, John and Ted are watching this episode.
- The music used on the scene when SpongeBob looks out the window and see everyone having a good day was used on the Nicktoon series Hey Arnold!
- Nickelodeon removed a scene when Spongebob thought of putting a racing car crash on his essay. The reason why this is removed is because the part is inappropriate for kids.
- When Spongebob cleaned his kitchen, it turned chrome similar to how the future world looked in the episode SB-129.
- The definition of the word "procrastination" is: the act or habit of procrastinating, or putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediate attention
- The essay would've been a minimum of 3 1/2 pages, as one page is about 250 words, 2 is 500, and 3 is 750
- As far as essays go, it's excessive that one about what not to do at a stoplight would require 800 words, especially when it's due the next day.
- SpongeBob writes the word 'The' on his paper at 10:00. When he wakes up at 9:00, and 'The' is still on his paper. Maybe wrote 'The' before falling asleep.
- Oddly enough, the flame in SpongeBob's dream is able to withstand being underwater. In real life, this would not be possible. But, then again, it's only a dream.
- When SpongeBob wakes up from his dream and looks at the paper before looking at the clock, only the word "The" is shown and the "What Not to do at a Spotlight by SpongeBob SquarePants" is missing from the top.
- The mailfish delivers a package to SpongeBob after 10 p.m. at night.
- On his essay, SpongeBob misspells "Stoplight" as Spotlight.
- When SpongeBob is cleaning in the kitchen, it looks like chrome, just like in SB-129. It never appears like this in later episodes.
- In this episode SpongeBob has kelp milk, Aqua Bread, Horse of the Sea, a Chinese take out box, an ice cube tray, two cans of soda (one red the other green), an orange box, a purple box, ketchup, and mayo, all in his fridge.