|Season 1, Episode 1B|
|Original air date:||May 1, 1999|
|Written by:|| Stephen Hillenburg|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Help Wanted"||"Tea at the Treedome"|
"Reef Blower" is the second segment of the first episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
The episode starts out when Squidward walks outside and sees a shell on his front lawn. He believes that it ruins the appearance of his lawn, so he "accidentally" kicks it onto SpongeBob's lawn. Suddenly, SpongeBob pops out of his window and sees the shell. He also believes that it ruins the appearance of his lawn, so he gets his "reef blower" (an underwater version of a leaf blower) out of his garage. He turns it on, much to the annoyance of Squidward. Squidward plugs his ears to avoid the noise and SpongeBob struggles to blow the shell away. After failing attempts, he frustratedly blows a large column of sand onto Squidward. To fix this problem, SpongeBob blows the sand off, which irritates Squidward's eyes. SpongeBob peers over at his sidewalk and sees a pile of sand. A subtitle ("You!") appears as SpongeBob points at the pile. He then sucks the pile of sand into the reef blower, which malfunctions. The sand and a few mechanical gears blow out. So, SpongeBob unzips the reef blower and puts them in himself. The reef blower sneezes. When the reef blower refuses to start, SpongeBob pulls the cord to an extreme distance and before it finally starts. However, this causes it to suck in all of the water in the ocean. The reef blower then explodes, returning the water and leaving piles of sand all over Squidward's lawn, while SpongeBob's lawn is perfectly clean. Satisfied, SpongeBob gets out of the sand pile and then goes back inside his house, while the shell lands on Squidward's nose.
- This is the shortest SpongeBob episode to date, with a length of approximately 2 minutes and 50 seconds.
- Squidward is purple above-water in this episode.
- The music was composed for the show by The Blue Hawaiians.
- The reef blower would appear again in "Squidville".
- This episode was intended to have dialogue but the sound recording equipment broke and the only surviving audio is Squidward's annoyed groan.
- When SpongeBob runs past the houses to get his reef blower started, Squidward is gone.
In Other Languages
|Bulgarian||Произшествие Сейф||Accident Insurance|
|Cantonese||海底清潔隊||Undersea Cleaning Team|
|French||Le Grand Nettoyage||The Big Cleanup|
|Greek||Σκούπισμα Υφάλου||Sweep The Reef|
|Hebrew||שואב השונית||The Reef Cleaner|
|Japanese||海の掃除機||Underwater Vacuum Cleaner|
|Latvian||Ziedi no Rifa||The Flowers Of The Reef|
|Macedonian||Дувач на Гребени||Grebenian Learner|
|Norwegian||Reef Blower||Reef Blower|
|Russian||Подводный Пылесос||Underwater Vacuum Cleaner|
|Spanish (Spain)||Limpia Arrecifes||Clean Reefs|
|Spanish (Latin America)||La Aspiradora||Vacuum|
|Ukrainian||Підводний Пилосос||Underwater Vacuum Cleaner|
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The 1st Season, Volume 1