"Rock-a-Bye Bivalve" is the second segment of the 49th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob and Patrick are playing with the rubber bands from their newspapers . They spot a baby scallop in a coral tree, which they name "Junior " and decide to adopt, with SpongeBob as the Mom and Patrick as the Dad. However, SpongeBob has to do all the work to care for the baby as, Patrick has to go to work. Patrick promises to take a turn caring for the baby, which he repeatedly fails to fulfill. Eventually, SpongeBob angrily lashes out at Patrick, who then gets fed up and decides to go back to "work". SpongeBob follows him, and finds out that "work" consists of Patrick watching television under his rock.Then SpongeBob opens up Patrick's briefcase and dumps ice cream and donuts all over Patrick, then the two begin to fight, until they see Junior jumping a two story window out. They try to catch him, but fail and begin crying for him, believing him to be no longer alive and proclaiming themselves "bad parents". However, then they realize that Junior's alive and well, and has learned to fly. After Junior kisses SpongeBob and flies away, Patrick asks " Hey! what about Daddy?" Junior drops a coconut on Lazy Patrick's head, who responds "That's my boy". After the parents say goodbye to their son, Patrick says "Let's have another", and SpongeBob makes a shocked face as the episode ends.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Laugh Your Pants Off
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Tide and Seek
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 3rd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- Robot Invasion
- When SpongeBob is wearing hair rollers on his head, he has orange hair.
- Normally in the show, worms are parodied as dogs, while snails are parodied as cats. Yet in this episode the worm was actually a real worm. This possibly because it comes from the land, not the sea.
- This is perhaps the most controversial episode to date due to the homosexuality references (SpongeBob and Patrick living together, having a child - possibly a reference to gay marriage).
- Due to SpongeBob and Patrick's "relationship" in this episode may people accused this as promoting homo-sexual marrage.
- When Patrick goes back to "work" SpongeBob is in a women's night gown still, but when he got to Patrick's Rock, he was in his regular clothing.
- The SpongeBob puppet in the episode blinks his eyes and looks at Patrick while Spongebob doesn't.
- When SpongeBob shows funny faces, you can see the side of his head before he reveals he is using a puppet (NOTE: this all depends on TV resolution, occasionally it can be zoomed in too much to see this)
- When Patrick realizes what's wrong, the puppet apppears to be living just like SpongeBob as he made a regular face. This could be related to SpongeBob's budding as seen in Pressure.
- The title is a pun of the traditional lullaby "Rock-a-Bye Baby" since the title is referring to the baby clam.
- Patrick reveals he has worn diapers for almost a year after changing Junior for the first time, but in most of his other appearances he is shown wearing briefs. Another time he was seen wearing diapers was in "Money Talks."
- In certain countries, Patrick's line "Let's have another." along with SpongeBob's shocked reaction to the quote were cut out.
- The face SpongeBob makes when he gets really mad at Patrick and screams "OVERTIME!" has become popular on YouTube as a parody of Team Fortress 2's overtime sound.
- The "12:00 Midnight" time card is the title card for The Algae's Always Greener.
- SpongeBob stores used diapers in the refrigerator, the couch, and the walls. While these are all weird places to put diapers, the refrigerator is the worst, as it's never a good idea to put used diapers anywhere near food.
- This is the second episode involving clam poop. In Sleepy Time, In Sandy's dream, she falls into a truck of clam manure.
- It seems that Patrick is smelling Junior's stinky breath since Patrick doesn't have a nose.
- Patrick went off to his "job" while SpongeBob stayed home with Junior. He could have just made Patrick stay home with Junior while he went to his own job at the Krusty Krab, or brought Junior with him to work.
- Running gag: Patrick watching someone getting hit in the head with a coconut & keeps breaking promises with SpongeBob also, SpongeBob works on chores.
- When the worm said "We will bury you." It is a reference to a famous speech by a Russian leader, Nikida Kruschev in which he took off his shoe and slammed it on the podium saying (in Russian) "America, we will bury you."
- In the scene after the tomorrow time card, SpongeBob is shown with a black tie, and changes back to red in the next scene.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to grab Junior before he fell to the ground, there are various closed captioning errors.
- Junior's mouth stops moving when he's crying and it doesn't match the lip sync on his mouth.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to catch Junior, SpongeBob says "come to daddy," but SpongeBob was the mommy.
- After the tomorrow time card SpongeBob is using his foot to vacuum, but when he comes into the door when Patrick watches TV, he is using his hand.