SpongeBob and Patrick board a bus to get home from Glove World, a glove-themed amusement park. They have apparently gotten on the wrong one and head off a large cliff. The cliff leads to a sort of aphotic zone called Rock Bottom, inhabited by creepy anglerfish-like creatures. Patrick gets on a bus home but accidentally leaves SpongeBob behind. After several unsuccessful attempts to get on the bus, he heads to the bus station and gets in a very long line. By the time he gets to the front, he finds out that the last bus to leave for the night is already gone, and he's stuck there until morning. He gets scared by a raspberry sound coming from nowhere, and he dashes back to the cliff. The raspberry sound's maker reveals himself to be a friendly-looking anglerfish creature, who has SpongeBob's balloon from Glove World. The creature blows up the balloon, ties it to SpongeBob's wrist, and allows him to float up the cliff and back to Bikini Bottom. Patrick is then shown going back to Rock Bottom for SpongeBob, thinking he is still there.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Where's Gary?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- Residents of Rock Bottom all speak by making a spitting noise in between words. When SpongeBob tried to speak normal to the fish at the bus station, the fish did not understand his accent.
- The storyboard artists aren't credited in this episode.
- This is one of the six episodes in which the 1986 Paramount logo is plastered with the 2002 Paramount logo. The others are "Help Wanted", "Squeaky Boots", "F.U.N.", "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost", "Employee of the Month", and "Karate Choppers".
- Close to the cliff is a public toilet with a ? and a ¿. It is unknown which gender belongs to which bathroom.
- The fish that works at the bus station in Rock Bottom to give schedules of when the buses are coming is the same fish that stole SpongeBob's Kelp Nougat Krunch candy bar from the vending machine.
- As the bus carrying SpongeBob and Patrick descends down the cliff face, the dramatic incidental music is from the song "Whirlpool", performed by the Detroit, Michigan surf band, The Volcano.
- In the level, Rock Bottom in Battle for Bikini Bottom, if the player runs towards the vending machine near the bus stop, a bus will drive up, stop at the bus stop, then continue driving, referencing the incident in this episode.
- This episode is similar to Stephen King's short story Crouch End.
- This episode inspired the 2008 roller coaster, SpongeBob SquarePants Rock Bottom Plunge.
- The Dutch title of this episode is "Wachten op de bus", which means "Waiting For The Bus".
- The bus stop sign reads 'BUZ' with a "Z"at the end instead of a"S" at the end. The vending machine sign has a K replacing the C, and the N is backwards.
- The Buttons that SpongeBob press are A-B-E-F-A-C-F-E-C for a Kelp Bar.
- While SpongeBob waits for the next bus at the bus station, the clock in there looks remotely like a Poke Ball from Pokemon.
- The Fiery Fist O' Pain can be briefly seen when SpongeBob and Patrick leave Glove World, although it is described as a new ride in the later episode "Roller Cowards."
- Many cities in the series seem to end in "Bottom." (Bikini Bottom, Rock Bottom, Ukelele Bottom)
- This episode marks the first mentioning of Grandpa Squarepants, when SpongeBob imitates him; his first actual appearance (in a thought bubble) is in "The Sponge Who Could Fly".
- This is the first appearance of Rock Bottom in the show; it would also appear in several SpongeBob video games, as well as in the SpongeBob SquarePants 4D ride.
- The citizens of Rock Bottom are based on deep sea animals, and Rock Bottom is apparently a deep sea trench.
- When SpongeBob says the extreme darkness is "advanced darkness", it's accurate, since Rock Bottom is a deep sea trench, and it's too far below the surface for light to reach.
- The grey fish with the purple shirt that walked out of the confusing bathroom was seen again on the line.
- At the beginning of the episode when SpongeBob says, "Another Funtastic Day At Glove World", his lips don't move when he says, "Glove World".
- If you play frame-by frame when Spongebob and Patrick are boarding the bus, Spongebob's right arm is missing, but appears for a brief moment.*When SpongeBob and Patrick get on the bus from "Glove World," SpongeBob doesn't have fifty cents for bus fare. But, when SpongeBob is in Rock Bottom, he is seen putting two coins (possibly two quarters) in a candy bar vending machine.
- When the bus heads toward Rock Bottom, SpongeBob says, "I think we're on the wrong--AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!--bus!", but the captions exclude just say bus. However, the "Where's Gary?" DVD and Nickelodeon UK kept the original captions.
- When SpongeBob screams "Fish paste!", the original captions read "Fish face!" However, the "Where's Gary?" DVD and Nickelodeon UK kept the original captions.
- SpongeBob says "Mmmmmmmm... Kelp Nougat Crunch." when looking at the vending machine, but the original captions say "Mmmmmmmm... Kelp Nugget Crunch.". However, the "Where's Gary?" DVD and Nickelodeon UK kept the original captions.
- When SpongeBob looks at the vending machine, it is facing him. But when he is choosing the candy he wants, it is facing the opposite side of the road that's at a 90 degree angle.
- When SpongeBob told Patrick ".50¢", Patrick said "Nope" (he doesn't even have that much money). Regular closed captions excluded Patrick's line, and it is a little hard to hear it.
- When SpongeBob is yelling at the man at the bus station, a sign that reads "Information" can be seen above the window. But, when the lights shut off, the sign disappears.
- It could be possible if it was hard to see the sign in the dark, because the place where the sign was at, the spot was fully black.
- In this episode, SpongeBob notices that his shoe is untied and ties it, however, in a future SpongeBob episode, Your Shoe's Untied, he has forgotten how to tie his shoes and mentions that his shoes haven't been untied since SpongeBob was an egg.**Note** This episode did NOT take place after that episode.
- When they arrive there is no candy machine.
- The bathroom disappears after Patrick uses it.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick get on the bus, there is a fish sleeping on one of the seats but, when they arrive at Rock Bottom, he is gone.
- The information fish says that the next bus left in five seconds, But it Came & went, that means that was only one second (although, bus scedules aren't always very reliable!)
- When SpongeBob was looking for a bus schedule,he had his balloon,but when he was chasing after the bus the balloon wasn't in his hands.Then in the next scene he had his balloon again.
- After SpongeBob shakes his hand to get the soil off, Patrick says, "Bob, I don't like it here", but he could have said SpongeBob but is hard to hear due to the loud sound in the music, Patrick's mouth also moves just before saying "Bob" which gives more proof of it but is unknown if he actually says "Bob", he never says "Bob" by accident in any future episodes.
- When SpongeBob tries to find a way out after seeing the weird creatures exiting the bathrooms, he has his glove balloon. But when running for the bus that Patrick had entered, the balloon is gone.
- SpongeBob was 329 in line when the egg breaks that means three born fishes jumps into the line so SpongeBob was 331 in line. He isn't 332 in line because the fish said next, so someone has left the line.
- When SpongeBob throws his glove hat on the ground, it disappears a bit later.
- When Spongebob was at the bus station in the dark, he had his glovelight. When he left the bus station and started heading toward the cliff, the glovelight was gone.
- When Spongebob went to sit next to Patrick on the bus, he had his balloon. When the bus left gloveworld and entered rock bottom, the bus driver had it
- The creature who came out of the right bathroom and the Info fish is that one who stole SpongeBob's Kelp Nougat Crunch.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|