Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|"Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm"|
|Season 2, Episode 40B|
|Airdate:||October 12, 2001|
|Written by:|| Jay Lender|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Squid on Strike"||"The Algae's Always Greener"|
"Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm" is the second segment of the 40th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, and also the last episode produced for the show's second season.
In the middle of the night an Alaskan Bull Worm lurks into Bikini Bottom and causes havoc, destroying everything. Soon it appears at SpongeBob's house and eats the pineapple. He soon wakes up and the next day announces that it appeared at midnight eating everything. The Bikini Bottomites agree with this too and complain how it ate some of their belongings. They all try to plan a way to defeat this monster. Patrick soon suggests moving the town to another location. But all the people disagree with this and Mr. Krabs suggests that there has to be someone tough enough who can take on the worm. An old man with a hook scrapes the window and looks like he's just the man to fight it. He is revealed to be a weak man who actually needed to go to the restroom. Sandy decides to fight the monster, as revenge for stealing her tail. SpongeBob persuades her not to go near it, but she keeps on going at his every attempt because she says that she is strong.
Sandy continues walking along with SpongeBob trying to get her to turn back, and Sandy gets annoyed by this, until they reach a cave that Sandy identifies as the worm's lair. She goes inside the cave, while SpongeBob hides behind a small rock, panicking, and Sandy keeps on coming out, telling SpongeBob good news that she's winning. He keeps trying to tell her something but she doesn't give him enough time and goes back in. When she comes out on the worm she states that she won and she even reclaimed her tail. However, SpongeBob reveals that she didn't defeat the worm, but she defeated its tongue, and the entire cave is the worm. Upon realizing this, Sandy begins calm then screams "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!" all of a sudden, as the worm begins chasing them.
SpongeBob and Sandy run, and during their attempt to escape, SpongeBob reveals that he was right and Sandy was never strong enough for the worm, and she admits it after SpongeBob persuades her to say it. Suddenly, they escape the worm by using a paper clip and a piece of string which SpongeBob said was Sandy's tail earlier in the episode, and uses it this time to grapple onto a tree, and Sandy says, "We should be nice and safe up here" while they balance on the worm's back, but then the worm falls off a cliff. SpongeBob and Sandy scream and make it off the worm's tail to the land and think they have saved the town, and head off to tell everyone.
However, it is then shown that the people actually decided to go through with Patrick's idea to push Bikini Bottom somewhere else, and the defeated worm lands right on the city, destroying it and saying "Ow" as the episode ends.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Home Sweet Pineapple
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 2nd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Home Sweet Pineapple
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- The episode's plot is similar to the movie, Tremors. It featured worm-like monsters called Graboids which terrorized (and ate) people. The end, which showed the Alaskan Bull Worm fall off the cliff, also parodied the end of Tremors.
- The episode also references the novel "Dune" when Sandy finds the worm sign and when Sandy and SpongeBob ride the worm.
- When the mother said that the worm ate her children's homework, it is a reference of the excuse what children say to get out of they're homework when they say the dog ate their homework.
- At the beginning, when everyone is discussing how to capture the worm, it is a parody of the classic film, Jaws.
- In the scene where Sandy enters the worm, she thinks the tongue is a worm. This may be a spoof of the classic film, The Empire Strikes Back where the Falcon flies into the worm's mouth.
- Patrick's idea to take Bikini Bottom and push it somewhere else has become popular on the internet and was popularly known as Pushing Patrick.
- Ironically, when Squidward said that Patrick's idea may just be crazy enough to get everyone killed, everyone was crushed by the worm when it crashed on top of the town.
- When SpongeBob described the Alaskan Bull worm it sound like he is describing a male body part this has become popular on Youtube.
- SpongeBob wore a squirrel mask in this episode that he previously wore in the episode "Karate Choppers".
- When the worm is chasing Sandy and SpongeBob, it is shown to be as tall as five times Sandy's height, but when it falls off of the cliff, it is shown to be bigger than all of Bikini Bottom.