|Season 1, Episode 13A|
|Airdate:||October 28, 1999|
|Written by:|| Paul Tibbitt|
|Directed by:||Sean Dempsey|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Employee of the Month"||"I Was a Teenage Gary"|
"Scaredy Pants" is the first segment of the thirteenth episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, and also the series' Halloween episode.
It's Halloween in Bikini Bottom, and SpongeBob is cleaning the dishes in the Krusty Krab at the end of the work day, and is frightened by the creepy atmosphere and a message reading "Boo" on the order slips. After he finishes, he begins to run away, but Mr. Krabs stops him and asks him if he wants to hear his "annual scary story", and he does. He tells of the "Flying Dutchman", a ghost that steals souls on Halloween. Squidward, dressed up as the Flying Dutchman, appears behind SpongeBob, saying that he'll steal his soul, terrifying him. SpongeBob, who has a reputation for being easily scared, and is nicknamed "SpongeBob ScaredyPants", rushes home, and is scared by everything he sees on the way. After being scared by Patrick, he asks him for help. They make a '"Flying Dutchman" costume, but it fails to scare anyone. SpongeBob realizes that a real ghost has a round head, and he has a square one. Patrick shaves SpongeBob's head,making it round. Believing themselves to be scary, SpongeBob and Patrick go around town attempting to scare people, and believe themselves to be successful in doing so, although their "victims" are simply confused by their antics. They then go to roof of the Krusty Krab where a Halloween party is taking place, turn off all the lights, and lower SpongeBob with a rope, with Patrick providing to voice of the "Dutchman", which initially terrifies everyone. However, when a jellyfish stings Patrick, who the rope is tied to, he starts running around in pain, causing SpongeBob to fly around uncontrollably, exposing his true identity. Everybody starts laughing at SpongeBob, but soon the real Flying Dutchman appears. He explains to them how offended he is by people dressing up as him for Halloween, and that SpongeBob's costume is the worst of all. He says that SpongeBob is the "straw that broke the camel's back", and that he will now steal the soul's of everyone present. He takes off SpongeBob's costume, which revealed that his brain is exposed as a result of Patrick's shaving. Subsequently, everyone runs away, including the Dutchman, leaving SpongeBob satisfied to finally have succeeded in scaring people. Patrick comments on SpongeBob's "pink hat", and SpongeBob explains that it is his brain, and Patrick screams and runs away. SpongeBob says "Don't worry, it grows back!"
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Halloween
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Halloween
- NickToons Halloween
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- In UK and syndication airings of this episode, the scene depicting Patrick cutting chunks of SpongeBob's head is cut, although it was kept in the DVD release of the episode.
- This episode marks the Flying Dutchman's first appearance.
- Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 is heard twice in this episode.
- The shoes Patrick gave SpongeBob previously appeared in "Squeaky Boots".
- In the credits, the ending song is replaced with a Halloween version of the opening theme song (with the name of this episode) with the lyrics changed.
- Each character has a Halloween costume:
- Sandy is a pet goldfish in a bowl
- Sqiudward is The Flying Dutchman
- Pearl is the Bride of Frankenstein or a lady vampire
- Patrick wears Groucho Mark glasses
- Mrs Puff is a witch
- SpongeBob is the Ghost of the Flying Dutchman
- When the fish at the party still believed SpongeBob was the Ghost of the Flying Dutchman, SpongeBob had arms with claws. In every other scene, there are no arm holes in SpongeBob's costume.
- The shark with a pumpkin mask and green costume has a blue dorsal fin, but when SpongeBob comes through the hatch on the roof of the Krusty Krab and he runs away, his fin is green. In all other shots of him, his fin is blue.
- In the scene at The Krusty Krab, when the camera points to Mr. Krabs bobbing for apples the water in the tub flashes. Also in next scene where Mr. Krabs is choking, the tub looks completely different and is empty.
- Scaredy Pants at TV.com