|Season 1, Episode 15A|
|Original air date:||January 17, 2000|
|Written by:|| Paul Tibbitt|
Ennio Torresan, Jr.
|Directed by:||Edgar Larrazabal|
|← Previous||Next →|
"Sleepy Time" is the first segment of the fifteenth episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob has a strange dream. He dreams that he's in a hot rod and he got his driver's license. Mrs. Puff also appears in this dream and tears out SpongeBob's license, and right after he is somehow 'propelled' out of SpongeBob's dream cloud, he sees his real self. He realises that he has no dream to go to, until he sees Gary's dream cloud. He jumps in, frightening Gary. He is in a vast library, and Gary appears to be humanoid and can speak English. SpongeBob goes out of Gary's dream cloud and into Patrick's. He is on a kiddy ride that costs 25 cents per ride. SpongeBob explains to him that in a dream, he can do whatever he wants. He demonstrates by turning into a skyscraper and making a million identical copies of himself. Patrick says he's already satisfied, and SpongeBob goes out of Patrick's dream cloud. Patrick then complains that he has run out of quarters. (This could be a hint towards Patrick's empty-mindedness.) Next, he goes to Squidward's dream cloud and sees what's going on. He's performing a clarinet solo in a theatre, set in the 1700s because of the theme. He distracts the king and Squidward stops, and the king growls at him for not playing. After this happens several times, Squidward is so angry that he snaps his clarinet, but SpongeBob saves him by turning into a clarinet. It produces no sound, but SpongeBob just sings, and everybody applauds. SpongeBob goes to a different dream, this time Sandy's. They are skydiving, and they have to land on a painted target. SpongeBob asks if it's safe, and Sandy says "Yeah, as long as you have a parachute". SpongeBob says "I've got one!", then Sandy replies "Not a pair-of-shoes! A parachute!". Again, SpongeBob misenterprets the message, and holds up a bird cage. Sandy says "Not a parakeet, a para-" After she says this, she lands in clam manure truck. She says "medic...". SpongeBob falls out of Sandy's dream and says to himself "Alright, that's it. No more messing with people's dreams." He goes to what he thinks is Mr. Krabs' dream, but actually is Pearl's dream. After realizing this, he immediately goes to Mr. Krabs' dream, where he's fishing money. SpongeBob and Mr Krabs manage to catch Moby Dollar, but it escapes and SpongeBob is shot out of Mr. Krabs' dream cloud and into Plankton's. Plankton, in his dream, is bigger than the buildings and has laser-eyes. SpongeBob pokes him with a pin and Plankton deflates, and wakes up. SpongeBob then goes back to his own dream cloud, where everyone's terrfied faces appear and start jumps out and get more pizza around him. When he wakes up, everyone is in his house complaining that he's messed up their dreams (SpongeBob is confused because he didn't know what happened.) until Patrick comes up and asks "Does anyone have a quarter?"
- Moby Dollar is a parody of Moby Dick.
- The name that Squidward had in his dream, Wolfgang Amadeus Tentacles, is a pun off Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- This episode shows a lot of evidence of Lucid Dream, Astral Projection, and/or OoBE as SpongeBob is fully aware that he is dreaming (he said so to Patrick and Pearl), aware that he could change the dream environment as he wishes (he changed himself to a pin when Plankton tried to squash him flat), travelling to others dreams, and seeing himself sleeping on the bed.
- Gary says "Mind your wandering eye, you little poriferan." in his dream. The sponge is in the Phylum Porifera.
- In one scene, when Gary and SpongeBob are walking along the library, a book is shown close up. On the cover, the title says "Of Snails and Men", a reference to John Steinbeck's book, Of Mice and Men.
- When SpongeBob tells Gary, "Curiosity salted the snail," this is a reference to the classic line, "Curiosity killed the cat," as snails are portrayed as the cats of the sea.
- Music from the title card of Skill Crane can be heard in Patrick's Dream.
- In the Bahasa Malaysia version of this episode,when Sandy says "not a parakeet..." and "...medic.",in translation,she says "not a bird..." and "Alamak..." ("Oh no...").
- This episode is perhaps most notable for revealing a large amount of information about SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs that was previously not known. The reason new information is revealed is because SpongeBob and Mr. Krab's drivers license are first seen in this episode.
- In Sandy's dream, she says (before she falls) "NOT A PARAKEET! PARA-*splat*-medic." the captions say "para-*splat*made it."
- Mrs. Puff appears in and ruins SpongeBob's dream. However SpongeBob does not make an appearance in her dream.
- In a commentary for the DVD, Tom Kenny said that Gary looked like a Talosian (from Star Trek) in Gary's dream.
- In the episode Squeaky Boots, Mr. Krabs eyes are brown. However, in this episode, his driver's license says they are green.
- Whale of a Birthday Easter Egg: In Pearl's dream, there are framed photos of what look like the members of Boys Who Cry.
- When Sandy and SpongeBob were skydiving she said,"Well we're falling from 114,000 feet and we're going to land on that itty bitty target." If Sandy and SpongeBob were really falling from 114,000 feet they would actually be in space for that is over 20 miles and the atmosphere is not that thick. (This was a dream.)
- This is the first episode airing in the year 2000, although credits mistake all season one episodes from this one to Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II to be copyrighted 1999.
- SpongeBob and Plankton's dreams appeared in the Creature from the Krusty Krab game.
- When everyone is gathered around SpongeBob's bed, Pearl doesn't have anything on her head. However, when it shows things from SpongeBob's point of view, she has a night cap on.
- In Mr. Krabs' dream, when he says "You're fired!" to SpongeBob, his nose is straight instead of crooked.
- SpongeBob didn't really ruin Patrick's dream. Patrick was the one who dropped the quarter in the vent. Also nobody ruined Pearl's dream.
- When SpongeBob came to Pearl's dream, he entered at the left part of the house, but when he came out, he went out from the middle of the house.
- In the SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom game, SpongeBob goes to his friend's dreams, which is a reference to this episode.
- The scene where SpongeBob licks his plate in his dream was deleted and cut out in all TV airings and DVD prints the day after this episode's premiere.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Sleepy Time. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|