- This article is about the series. For the protoganist of this series, see SpongeBob SquarePants (character). For other uses, see SpongeBob.
The show's original logo.
|Genre:|| Animated comedy|
|Created by:||Stephen Hillenburg|
|# of episodes:||241|
|Running time:|| 22-23 minutes
(9-12 minutes per segment)
|Original run:||May 1, 1999 - present|
SpongeBob SquarePants is an animated television series created by marine biologist/animator Stephen Hillenburg. The series premiered right after the Kids' Choice Awards on May 1, 1999. It officially began airing on July 17th of the same year with the second episode "Bubblestand/Ripped Pants". The main character is an accident-prone sponge, SpongeBob SquarePants, his dumb starfish pal Patrick Star, the stingy octopus Squidward Tentacles, the cheapskate crab Mr. Krabs, his fashion-obsessed daughter Pearl and the overly hyper squirrel Sandy Cheeks, who wears an astronaut suit all the time and is characterized as a south westerner. Most episodes take place in the town of Bikini Bottom or the surrounding lagoon floor, islets, deep, or at their own houses.
The cartoon is designed to appeal to older viewers as much as to children. This has a lot to do with the way underwater life and situations are represented, absurdly, as though they are almost equivalent to normal terrestrial lifestyles. Instead of cars, the residents of Bikini Bottom drive boats—with wheels of course. Once, while on a camping trip, Patrick questions how they could have a camp fire on the lagoon bottom—the fire is immediately extinguished with a sizzle. A flurry of bubbles accompany many actions, just to remind the viewer everything is underwater. SpongeBob lives in a pineapple, while his neighbor Squidward lives in an Easter Island head and Patrick lives under a rock. The suggestion is that both have fallen from a tropical island to become underwater habitats. Spongebob's house-pet is a snail named Gary, who only meows like a cat, though characters have shown signs of being able to understand him. As such, worms are the undersea equivalent of dogs. Scallops are the equivalent of birds, as they "fly" and are kept in cages. Jellyfish are the equivalent of bees as they buzz and sting, and are used for their jelly, but are collected or appreciated like butterflies.
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, the first theatrical film based on the series, was released on November 19, 2004. According to Square Roots, the movie was also the reason for the long hiatus between "Pranks a Lot" and "Fear of a Krabby Patty". A second movie, titled The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, is scheduled for release on February 6, 2015.
Due to the second SpongeBob movie being in production, the show will take a long hiatus again. New episodes are expected to return sometime in 2015.
History / Production
- → Main article: SpongeBob SquarePants Timeline
- → Main article: SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song
The theme song, a sea shanty-style tune is sung by Pat Pinney and can also be found on the soundtrack, SpongeBob SquarePants: Original Theme Highlights. A cover of the song by superstar Avril Lavigne can be found on the soundtrack for The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. There was also a choral version done for the early episodes.
- → Main article: List of SpongeBob SquarePants characters
- SpongeBob SquarePants- A square sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea. He works at the Krusty Krab along with his boring neighbour Squidward.
- Patrick Star- A cheerful, naive and unintelligent starfish, who is SpongeBob's best friend. He lives under a rock to the right of Squidward's house.
- Squidward Tentacles- A hostile squid that lives in an Easter Island head between the domiciles of SpongeBob and Patrick. Although loved by the other characters, Squidward appears pessimistic and antisocial.
- Sandy Cheeks- Another friend of SpongeBob's, Sandy is an athletic squirrel from Texas. She wears an old spacesuit and lives in the "Treedome" so that she can survive Bikini Bottom's ocean environment.
- Eugene H. Krabs- The cheapsake, miserly owner of the Krusty Krab. Commonly known as Mr. Krabs, he is SpongeBob and Squidward's boss. He lives in an anchor with his daughter Pearl, who is a whale.
- Sheldon J. Plankton- The owner of the Chum Bucket and Mr. Krabs's main rival. He is determined to steal the secret Krabby Patty formula from The Krusty Krab and run Mr. Krabs out of business.
- Gary- SpongeBob's pet snail, and thus meows like all snails on the show. He is very intelligent, as revealed in the episode "Your Shoe's Untied". Gary actually wears shoes, and taught SpongeBob how to tie his shoes. Gary also has many other items stored in his shell.
- → Main article: SpongeBob SquarePants episode list
|Season||Episodes||First Episode||Latest Episode|
|20||May 1, 1999||April 8, 2000|
|Season 2||20||October 26, 2000||July 26, 2003|
|Season 3||20||October 5, 2001||October 11, 2004|
|Season 4||20||May 5, 2005||July 24, 2006|
|Season 5||20||February 19, 2007||July 19, 2008|
|Season 6||26||March 3, 2008||July 5, 2009|
|Season 7||26||July 19, 2010||June 11, 2011|
|Season 8||26||March 26, 2011||December 6, 2012|
|Season 9||27||July 21, 2012||TBA|
|Title||Release Date||Note||Running Time|
|The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie||November 19, 2004||Theatrical Film||87 Minutes|
|The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water||February 6, 2015||Theatrical Film||Over 60 minutes|
Home video releases
- → Main article: SpongeBob SquarePants videography
- → Main article: SpongeBob SquarePants international videography
- Tom Kenny: SpongeBob SquarePants, Gary the Snail, French Narrator, Patchy the Pirate, a Squid
- Dee Bradley Baker: Squilliam Fancyson, Various Squids, Customers, Vendors
- Rodger Bumpass: Squidward Tentacles
- Bill Fagerbakke: Patrick Star
- Carolyn Lawrence: Sandy Cheeks
- Clancy Brown: Eugene H. Krabs
- Doug Lawrence (a.k.a. Mr. Lawrence): Sheldon J. Plankton, Larry Lobster
- Lori Alan: Pearl Krabs
- Mary Jo Catlett: Poppy Puff
- Ernest Borgnine (Until death in 2012): Mermaid Man
- Tim Conway: Barnacle Boy
- Stephen Hillenburg: Potty
- Brian Doyle-Murray: The Flying Dutchman
- Charles Nelson Reilly: The Dirty Bubble
- Marion Ross: Grandma Squarepants
- Jill Talley: Karen, Plankton's computer wife.
- Tom Ramos: Marcus
Additional voices in the movie
- Stephen Hillenburg: Creator/Executive Producer (1999-2004)
- Derek Drymon: Creative Director/Writer/Story Editor/Executive Producer(1999-2004)
- Sherm Cohen: Art Director/Writer/Executive Prouducer (2005-2006)
- Paul Tibbitt: Writer/Storyboard Director/Backing Voice Actor/Executive Producer, Showrunner(1999-2004;2005-present)
- Merriwether Williams: Story Editor/Writer
- Doug Lawrence (Mr. Lawrence): Writer/Story Editor/Voice Of Plankton and Larry
- Chuck Klein: Writer/Storyboard Artist & Director
- Jay Lender: Writer/Storyboard Artist & Director
- Sam Henderson: Writer/Storyboard Director
- Kaz: Writer/Storyboard Artist
- Aaron Springer: Writer/Storyboard Artist & Director
- C.H. Greenblatt: Writer/Storyboard Artist & Director
- Bradley Carow: Music
- David Wigforss: Special Effects (CG visual effects animator)
- Caleb Muerer: Art Director
- Andy Rheingold: Executive in Charge of Production
- Tim Hill: Writer
- Eric Wiese: Writer/Storyboard Artist
- Mark O'Hare: Writer/Storyboard Artist & Director
- Steven Fonti: Writer/Storyboard Director (1999)
- Chris Mitchell: Writer/Storyboard Artist (1999)
- Mike Bell: Writer/Storyboard Director (2005-)
- Vincent Waller: Writer/Storyboard Artist & Director/Technicial Director (2005-)
- Alan Smart: Animation Director
- Tom Yasumi: Animation Director
- Andrew Overtoom: Animation Director
- Sean Dempsey: Animation Director
|Media releases||Episodes | Seasons: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 | The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie | The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water | Movie Soundtrack | The Yellow Album | The Best Day Ever Album | SpongeBob's Greatest Hits | Video releases | International video releases|
|Cast and Crew||Stephen Hillenburg | Tom Kenny | Bill Fagerbakke | Rodger Bumpass | Carolyn Lawrence | Mr. Lawrence | Clancy Brown|
|Characters||SpongeBob | Patrick | Squidward | Mr. Krabs | Sandy | Gary | Plankton | Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy | Pearl | Mrs. Puff | Larry | Flying Dutchman | King Neptune | Squilliam | Patchy the Pirate|
|Locations||Bikini Bottom (Places) | Chum Bucket | Goo Lagoon | Krusty Krab | Mrs. Puff's Boating School | Places Beyond|
|Other||| Krabby Patty | Jellyfishing|
|1991–1997:||Doug • Rugrats • The Ren and Stimpy Show • Rocko's Modern Life • Aaahh!!! Real Monsters • Hey Arnold! • KaBlam! • The Angry Beavers|
|1998–2004:||Oh Yeah! Cartoons • CatDog • The Wild Thornberrys • SpongeBob SquarePants • Rocket Power • Pelswick • As Told by Ginger • The Fairly OddParents • Invader Zim • ChalkZone • The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius • My Life as a Teenage Robot • All Grown Up! • Danny Phantom|
|2005–2009:||Avatar: The Last Airbender • Catscratch • The X's • Mr. Meaty • El Tigre • The Mighty B! • Back at the Barnyard • The Penguins of Madagascar • Fanboy and Chum Chum|
|2010–present:||Planet Sheen • T.U.F.F. Puppy • Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness • The Legend of Korra • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles • Robot and Monster • Sanjay and Craig • Rabbids Invasion • Breadwinners|
|1992-1994:||Clarissa Explains It All | Roundhouse | The Ren & Stimpy Show | Are You Afraid of the Dark?|
|1994-1996:||The Secret World of Alex Mack | All That | Space Cases | Kenan and Kel|
|1997-1999:||The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo | KaBlam! | Rugrats | The Journey of Allen Strange | Animorphs|
|1999-2002:||SpongeBob SquarePants | The Amanda Show | 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd | The Nick Cannon Show | Cousin Skeeter | Taina|