|"SpongeBob You're Fired"|
|Season 9, Episode 189|
|Original air date:|| July 3, 2013 (Greece)|
November 11, 2013 (US)
March 10, 2014 (Canada)
July 12, 2016 (MTV)
|Written by:|| Marc Ceccarelli|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Yeti Krabs"||"Lost in Bikini Bottom"|
"SpongeBob, You're Fired" is the 189th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
In the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is happily doing his job, cooking Krabby Patties, mopping the floors and washing the dishes. However, when he finishes making the Krabby Patty, Mr. Krabs comes to tell him that he is fired, much to his dismay (and Squidward's delight). Mr. Krabs explains that the reason for this is because he wants to save a nickel. Not willing to lose his job, SpongeBob offers to work for free, but Mr. Krabs says no, as he recently discovered that it is illegal and that he will lose his vendor's licence. So he ask SpongeBob (who is now crying) to hand over his spatula and hat, to which he sadly accepts. He then cries for an extended period of time, to the point where his tears form a small knee-high flood, which forces Squidward to wheel him out on a dolly. After this, Squidward realizes that without SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs will need someone to cook the Krabby Patties, so Mr. Krabs decides to do it himself.
A depressed SpongeBob walks home and tells Gary of his woes. Even Patrick is crying, only because SpongeBob is crying, which is making him sad. After SpongeBob explains of his being fired, Patrick tells him that it is actually good to be unemployed and sure enough, he shows SpongeBob the way to "fun-employment" the next day, which involves standing in Squidward's garden and collecting food he throws at them, napping at Patrick's rock, and eating an unknown substance as part of Sandy's experiment. However, Sandy notices SpongeBob's conditions and suggests he find a new job.
Rested and reassured, SpongeBob takes Sandy and Patrick's recommendation and searches for a new job. He first looks for work at the Weenie Hut, but gets fired for inventing Weenie Patties. After this, he applies for jobs at Pizza Piehole, Taco Sombrero, and The Wet Noodle, but gets fired for making the Pizza Patty, Burrito Patty, and the Noodle Patty, respectively.
SpongeBob then returns home to Gary, who is now hungry, so SpongeBob decides to feed him Snailpo. However, they do not have any, allowing SpongeBob the opportunity to put his cooking skills to good use and feed Gary and Patrick his own homemade version of Snailpo. When he is done, the doorbell rings. SpongeBob answers it to two thugs who stuff him in a giant hot dog bun and take him to the Weenie Hut. Once there, the manager handcuffs SpongeBob to the grill and reveals that his customers apparently liked his creation. When Mr. Weiner leaves, the Pizza Piehole manager rescues SpongeBob with tomato sauce, only to tie him up with a Parmesan breadstick and force him to work at his restaurant. Later, all of the restaurant managers begin to struggle over SpongeBob.
Fortunately, a giant Krabby Patty known as the Killer Patty beats up all of the managers and drags SpongeBob to the Krusty Krab, where the Killer Patty is revealed to be Squidward. Both Squidward and Mr. Krabs tell SpongeBob that the Krusty Krab has been doing terribly since he was fired and ask him to take his job back, to which he accepts. Once SpongeBob returns the Krusty Krab to its former popularity, Mr. Krabs reveals that he had a pay toilet installed to make up for the nickel he was losing.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob, You're Fired!
- A clip of this episode was shown on June 10, 2013. It contained footage with SpongeBob trying to get a job at a taco shop.
- In this episode, Mr. Krabs does a terrible job making Krabby Patties, and all the customers hate them. But in "Friend or Foe," a flashback shows that Mr. Krabs made delicious Krabby Patties. It's possible he forgot how to properly cook them over the years.
- The restaurants that SpongeBob worked at but got fired from were Weenie Hut, Pizza Pie Hole, Taco Sombrero, and Wet Noodle.
- Due to complaints about its references to unemployment and inappropriate content, this episode was banned from reruns on Nickelodeon. However, it is still available on DVD.
- This is actually the third time SpongeBob has been fired, the first two being "Karate Choppers" and "Squid on Strike."
- Squidward reveals that he hates the smell of burnt Krabby Patties more than SpongeBob. But he actually gave the customers burnt Krabby Patties in "The Play's the Thing."
- SpongeBob is able to make the Snail-Po recipe; it is possible that he remembered the tastes that he had from "Missing Identity".
- This episode is a bit out of character for both Squidward and SpongeBob. SpongeBob made a remark about Pizza Pete, saying "I hope his pepperoni falls off," and Squidward went to save SpongeBob (something he would most likely despise).
- When Mr. Krabs says "golden spatula fry cook", this might be a reference to some of the SpongeBob video games, most notable, "Battle for Bikini Bottom," where SpongeBob has to collect golden spatulas to enter new levels.
- This episode is similar to "Le Big Switch", where SpongeBob also makes patties out of ordinary food. In both episodes first his bosses hate it, then they love it.
- This is the second time Patrick's forehead is shown with the ability to speak, with the first being "Chum Bucket Supreme".
- The "Killer Krabby Patty" looked similar to the McDonald's character Mayor McCheese.
- Squidward's princess outfit at the end of the episode is strikingly similar to Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time.
- When SpongeBob's corner grew back after he ate it, the scene skipped a part, paused, and then started again.
- For some reason, Mr. Weenie knows where SpongeBob lives.
- When SpongeBob says, "They're Weenie Patties!" and "But ya just fired me.", his Weenie Hut hat is replaced with his Krusty Krab hat.
- When Mr. Weenie says, "My customers love your little sliders!", the Weenie Patty is smaller.
- When SpongeBob is forced out of the Krusty Krab by Squidward, there are no tables inside.
- When Patrick is disturbing Squidward when he's gardening, there are 3 markers for plants. When SpongeBob says, "Hey, Squidward, look at me, I'm fun-employed," there's only one plant marker.
- When SpongeBob wraps his arm around the custom Snailpo can while opening it, in the next scene when he gives it to Gary, his arm is wrapped around the can more.
- There is a continuity error when Mr. Krabs says he was a "golden spatula fry cook" in the navy, even though he was the head chef on the S.S. Diarrhea in "Squilliam Returns."
- The order wheel was not seen in the order window at the end of the episode.
- When SpongeBob is feeding Gary the first time, he uses Slimy Can Snail food, but later he makes some Snailpo and even says before he makes the snail food, "I'll open up a can of Snailpo for you Gary."
- When SpongeBob goes in the cupboard to get some snail food for Gary the first time, if one looks closely, one can see there are multiple cans inside, but when SpongeBob says "I'll open up a can of Snailpo for you," while opening the cupboard, it is empty.
- In other episodes, when SpongeBob (or anyone else in Bikini Bottom) got fired, they never got a pink slip, but in this episode, when SpongeBob got fired by Mr. Krabs, he got one. But when he got fired at Weenie Hut, Taco Sombero, and Wet Noodle, he never had a pink slip from them either.
- After SpongeBob got fired from the Wet Noodle, he said that he's been fired five times in one day. However, he was fired from the Krusty Krab a day ago, so he was actually fired four times in one day.
- When the Hotdog Minions were kidnapping SpongeBob out of his house, his house was a lot wider than usual.