|Season 1, Episode 8B|
|Airdate:||September 4, 1999|
|Written by:|| Steven Fonti|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Sandy's Rocket"||"Nature Pants"|
For Pearl's birthday, Mr. Krabs selfishly gives her a pair of fishing boots that only cost $2. After Pearl doesn't accept the gift, Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that the boots are special, and only worn by the best official fry cooks in the world. SpongeBob, excited, exchanges his paycheck for them, and starts wearing them all day and night. The squeak annoys Squidward so much that he goes on vacation, and Mr. Krabs has to fill in for him. After a sleepless night because of a squeaking window, Mr. Krabs can't stand the squeak of SpongeBob's boots anymore. At his wit's end, he steals the boots and buries them underneath the Krusty Krab. However, SpongeBob comes in the next day crying because he couldn't find the boots. Mr. Krabs feels guilty and starts going crazy and haves a squeaky nightmare, believing that he hears nothing but the constant squeaking of the boots (all text he sees is even replaced by the word "squeak"). He un-buries the boots, shrinks them and eats them in a bout of insanity. He thinks he finally has peace and quiet and goes on vacation with Pearl, until he hiccups, making the boots (inside his body) squeak.
- This episode is based on Edgar Allan Poe's short story, The Tell-Tale Heart. Mr. Krabs even references the famous quote "the beating of the hideous heart".
- During a Nickelodeon movie promotion in 1999, a set of scratch-and-sniff stickers were released at specific fast-food restaurants to be used with certain Nicktoons. One of them was used when Mr. Krabs dropped the boots in the french fry oil. The symbol that signaled the viewer to "sniff" at the bottom right part of the screen was accidentally filmed along with the episode, and not edited out until late 2002, almost 3 years after the scratch-and-sniff packs were put out of circulation.
- This is one of the six episodes in which the 1986 Paramount logo is plastered with the 2002 Paramount logo. The others are "Help Wanted", "F.U.N.", "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost", "Employee of the Month" and "Rock Bottom".
- The customer, Tom, never actually said what the order was (according to the voice actor). But, judging by his lip movements, he could be saying "squeaky squeak".
- When SpongeBob asks Mr. Krabs "Could the world's greatest frycook do this?", SpongeBob moonwalks across the floor like Michael Jackson.
- SpongeBob's original name, SpongeBoy, is used in this episode ("SpongeBoy me Bob!").
- The beginning of this episode shows one of Pearl's lame parties, the next one being in "Whale of a Birthday".
- When Mr. Krabs lets Pearl open her presents, the cake on the table disappears.
- When Spongebob was in Mr. Krab's office and Mr. Krabs was giving the boots to Spongebob and after he says, "These are my most expensive and most valuable possession I own." Spongebob says, "Wow, really? Why is that? They just look like any other boots." "Why is that" isn't in the captions, they go right to the next sentence.
- When Spongebob is demonstrating the talent he can do with the boots, he is the cashier and he asks the customer with the boots, "Can I take your order?" "Can I take" isn't in the captions, so it says, "Your order?"
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Christmas
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- Game Boy Advance Video
- Nicktoons Collection: Volume 3