Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|"Tea at the Treedome"|
|Season 1, Episode 1C|
|Airdate:||May 1, 1999|
|Written by:|| Peter Burns|
|← Previous||Next →|
"Tea at the Treedome" is the third segment of the first episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
The episode starts out with SpongeBob jellyfishing in Jellyfish Fields when he suddenly spots a young female squirrel wrestling with a giant clam. SpongeBob thinks that she is in trouble, and goes to wrestle the clam himself. The squirrel manages to escape the clam, but SpongeBob ends up inside of it. The squirrel then rescues SpongeBob, and throws the clam out of the area. SpongeBob introduces himself, and the squirrel says that her name is Sandy Cheeks. SpongeBob inquires about the helmet she wears, and Sandy tells him that it's her air helmet. SpongeBob does not know what air is, but does not tell her this, instead saying that he loves air. Sandy, surprised that SpongeBob is fond of air, invites him to her "Treedome" for "Texas tea" and cookies.
SpongeBob quickly runs over to Patrick's rock and tells him what happened. Patrick tells him that "putting on airs" is fancy talk. He then tells SpongeBob if he wants to be fancy, to hold his pinky finger high above him.
When SpongeBob arrives at Sandy's Treedome, Sandy is in a bikini, since she does not need her air helmet inside. SpongeBob goes inside, and notices that the water level drops. He panics, and tells Sandy that there is no water. She tells him that, yes, it's just air. SpongeBob says that there isn't any problem and tries hard to breathe, not realizing that sea creatures like himself need water to survive. Sandy gives him a tour of her Treedome, showing him that she has an oak tree, a bird bath, and other things. During this, SpongeBob quickly sneaks over to the bird bath, which is filled with water, as he now knows he needs water to breathe properly. SpongeBob gives Sandy some flowers, and she decides to get a vase for them. Patrick, watching from outside the treedome, tells SpongeBob to keep his pinky finger up. Sandy comes back and puts the flowers in a vase, filled with ice cold water, on the picnic table. SpongeBob tries to resist drinking the water while Sandy goes to get the tea and cookies. SpongeBob eventually gives in, drinks it, and runs for the door, declaring that he is a quitter. Patrick, thinking he is being shy around Sandy, enters the Treedome and tries to convince him to stay. But after a moment, Patrick realizes that there is no water. The two struggle to get out of the treedome, but are unsuccessful.
When Sandy comes back, she shrieks as she spots both Patrick and SpongeBob dried up on the grass. She helps them by giving them water-filled helmets. In the end, Sandy proposes a toast to new friends, and they drink their tea. SpongeBob and Patrick drink by gulping the tea-filled water in their new helmets, with their pinky fingers pointing up.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Deep Sea Sillies
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Tales from the Deep
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: 10 Happiest Moments
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- This episode is number 17 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes.
- This is the first episode to be written by Paul Tibbitt, show runner and writer for the series.
- In this episode, the water helmets have two openings. However, in later episodes, there is only one.
- SpongeBob and Patrick are shown to dry up without water. However, in "Pressure", "Survival of the Idiots", and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, they manage to survive without it, even going above water in two of those examples. This is supposedly because of moisture in the air, with snow in "Survival of the Idiots" and mist and the sea spray on the island and the beach.
- This is the first time SpongeBob is seen jellyfishing.
- The original airing had the 1995 variation of the 1986 Paramount Pictures logo placed right after this episode ended, it was then removed and replaced with the 1999 variation when it officially aired. Finally, it was removed completely and replaced with the 2003 variation of the 2002 Paramount logo.
- When Sandy and SpongeBob meet, Sandy's tail is missing, however, Sandy's tail is missing through out season one when she is in her water protection suit.
- When SpongeBob is pulling up the clam's shell to save Sandy, he appears to be standing on thin air.
- When SpongeBob is demonstrating his karate skills, his skin around his eyes turn back.