|SpongeBob SquarePants episode|
|Season 1, Episode 18A|
|Airdate:||March 22, 2000|
|Written by:|| Sherm Cohen|
|Directed by:||Sean Dempsey|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Rock Bottom"||"Walking Small"|
"Texas" is the first segment of the eighteenth episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob, Patrick and Sandy are making sandcastles at Goo Lagoon Sandy makes one in the shape of Texas, which is soon destroyed by the tide. She walks off sadly, while SpongeBob tries to cheer her up and offers to play with her, but Sandy explains that she's just feeling a little homesick. SpongeBob and Patrick then blindfold her and take her to her treedome, which only adds to Sandy's depression. She begins crying, and runs off.
SpongeBob and Patrick are confused, until they hear Sandy singing a song from on top of her treedome about how she misses Texas by singing. They decide to cheer up Sandy by throwing a Texas-themed party for her at the Krusty Krab. They go to Sandy's house to ask her out to lunch, but she tells them that she is leaving Bikini Bottom to go back to Texas. SpongeBob is shocked by this, and tries to convince her to go to the Krusty Krab, but fails. Sandy gets onto a bus out of Bikini Bottom and leaves, and Patrick says "What's so great about dumb old Texas?"
Suddenly, the bus comes back and Sandy returns, offended by Patrick's remark. Patrick then asks if he can say that people from Texas are dumb, which angers her even further. This gives SpongeBob an idea to lure Sandy to the Krusty Krab. He and Patrick continue insulting Texas until Sandy begins chasing them. They intend to lead Sandy to her surprise party at the Krusty Krab. Patrick continuously insults Texas, thinking Sandy is too slow to catch up to them, only to soon realize that she is catching up to them.
Sandy lassos Patrick and pulls him to her, and a nuclear explosion is shown in the background as he disappears. SpongeBob, still hoping to reach the Krusty Krab, begins screaming as he runs as fast as he can. Sandy's lasso reaches SpongeBob the instant he reaches the door of the Krusty Krab, and she attempts to pull him to her as he holds onto the door with one hand. Eventually, this causes the front of the building to be torn off, revealing the party inside. Sandy realizes how much her underwater friends care about her, and that Bikini Bottom has become her true home, and decides to stay. The crowd cheers at this, and Patrick says "Yeah, who needs dumb old Texas?" Sandy gets angry once again, and Patrick asks "Should I start running now?" as the episode ends.
Hawaiian Link A - After SpongeBob says, "Homesick, huh?"; "What did you just say?" / "Should I start running now?"
Vibe Link (b) - "That's it! Patrick, your genius is showing.
"Blue Dobro (a) - "What did you say?" / "Texas is dumb?
"Hawaiian Link B - "Don't cry anymore, Sandy. I'll go get your bags."
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Nautical Nonsense
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 1st Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: It's a SpongeBob Christmas!
- SpongeBob's misinterpretations of things Sandy misses from Texas include Flatts the Flounder holding a cube (for "Square Dancing"), "Peas-in-a-can pies", large water containers being worn over the head (as "10-gallon hats"), and Barbed Q's. Pecan pie would be mistaken as "peas-in-a-can pie", and barbecues would be mistaken as barbed (barby) Q's.
- When Sandy decides to stay in Bikini Bottom, everyone is excited and cheering (except for Squidward, who quietly says "Oh, Brother!").
- The Texas song is based on Hank Williams, Sr.'s number one hit, "Long Gone Lonesome Blues".*Patrick says "Gitta dog, lil' longies!", a reference to the song, "Whoopee-Ti-Yi-Yo, Git Along, Little Doggies!"
- SpongeBob says "The stars at night are dull and dim, whenever they have to be over dumb old stupid Texas!", a reference to the song "Deep in the Heart of Texas".
- This is the second appearance of Flatts the Flounder, who first appeared in "Sandy's Rocket" and made his third, and last, appearance in "The Bully".
- This is the first time SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to prevent Sandy from leaving Bikini Bottom. the second will be Chimps Ahoy. This episode (with Chimps Ahoy) are also the only episodes where SpongeBob and Patrick cry after a song by Sandy.
- This is the first episode where Sandy is seen playing a guitar.
- When SpongeBob is thinking about how to ban Sandy from going back to Texas the later card is a piece of paper instead of some bubbles.
- "Maybe it's a squirrel thing" is a reference to the phrase "It's a girl thing".
- While SpongeBob was showing off his butt, He pronounced Texas as "Teeeeeeeexaaasssss", causing Sandy to blush. This episode was almost banned because of this part, due to SpongeBob pronouncing the "as" in Texas as "the A word".
- After Patrick tells Sandy that he said "Texas is dumb.", Sandy said "Don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain!": this is a reference to the 2nd Commandment of the 10 Commandments: Do not take the name of the Lord in vain.
- When Patrick got captured by Sandy and said, "AHHHH! SpongeBob!" His mouth didn't sync up the dialogue.
- When SpongeBob was almost there to the Krusty Krab, his pants had a darker color.
- During the song for a fraction of a second Sandy's neck was the same color as her cheeks.
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|"Rock Bottom"||"Walking Small"|