|"The Algae's Always Greener"|
|Season 3, Episode 41A|
|Airdate:||March 22, 2002|
|Written by:|| Aaron Springer|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm"||"SpongeGuard on Duty"|
"The Algae's Always Greener" is the first segment of the 41st episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
After failing to steal the Krabby Patty formula once again, Plankton decides that he wants to switch lives with Mr. Krabs. Plankton does so using his machine, and wakes up in his Mr. Krabs' office, wearing his uniform, and sees a name plate reading "Mr. Plankton" and a photo of him with Pearl. Plankton realizes that he has successfully teleported to a universe where he was successful, and has an alternate SpongeBob give him two Krabby Patties for "bun inspection". While Plankton is in his office, drooling over the Krabby Patties and celebrating his newfound power and wealth, SpongeBob suddenly appears for his weekly performance review. Plankton tells him that he's fine the way he is but SpongeBob persists and all but demands that something be found wrong with him, Plankton relents and tells him been using too much sauce, which contrary to his insistence of being criticized SpongeBob gets shocked and starts to make weird shuddering noises while twitching. To calm him down, Plankton promotes SpongeBob to "co-cashier", much to the disdain of that universe's Squidward, who enters his office to complain and wants his veiw to be a little less yellow, and is then made fry cook while Plankton replies, "I hope you like Gray!". Before Plankton can get back to his Krabby Patties, an alternate Pearl, now his daughter, comes into the restaurant, asking for an "advance" on her allowance.
An alternate Mr. Krabs, who now has the life of Plankton, and is completely naked, as Plankton normally does not wear clothes, appears, with a Krabby Patty in hand. SpongeBob tries to shoot Krabs using a cannon that shoots out clothes, and throws the Krabby Patty to Plankton after Mr. Krabs is shot with a bra, he is though still confused about what is going on.
As Krabs leaves, the people at the Krusty Krab give a "victory screech". Krabs tells Plankton that he will come back every day as repeatedly saying, "And the next day, and the next day, and the next day-" Soon, when he leaves the Krusty Krab, he calls Plankton on a phone and repeats the lines to him over and over again, Plankton then screams and he wakes up in his reality. The episode ends with him saying "Holographic Meatloaf. My favorite!" and Plankton eating happily.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sea Stories
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 3rd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: 10 Happiest Moments
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- When Mr. Plankton's eye turns into a Krabby Patty, it is the same Krabby Patty from the Krusty Krab Training Video.
- The title "The Algae's Always Greener" came from the saying "The grass is always greener".
- When Plankton says "Rolling stones gather no algae," it is a parody of the saying "Rolling pebble gather no moss."
- This is one of the few episodes that is focused on Plankton.
- This is the sole episode where the mainstream SpongeBob doesn't appear. However, his alternate counterpart does.
- The Dutch title of this episode is "Hoe het is om meneer Krabs te zijn" meaning "How Is It To Be Krab?".
- The part where SpongeBob starts whining just because Mr. Plankton said that he used too much sauce became popular on YouTube for its stereotypical Asian look.
- When Mr. Plankton says "What, did I say the secret word or something?" is a reference Pee-Wee's Playhouse.
- The shrimp is the only decopod that isn't either a lobster or a crab appearing in the series.
- Mr. Plankton saying "It's just an ordinary Krabby Patty..." and the morbid Krabby Patty became an Internet meme.
- This is another instance in which Squidward's Krabby Patty cooking skills are shown to be subpar; a previous instance was in "Hooky".
- When Plankton says "Reunited, and it's going to feel so good!", it's a reference to the Peaches And Herb song called "Reunited."