While at the Bikini Bottom Mall, SpongeBob and Patrick find shirts that say Best Friend with an arrow pointing. This arrow points to the side (indicating their best friend). However, when either of the them face a different direction, the arrow points elsewhere, thus "sending out the wrong signals." So, they decide to look for new friendship clothes. SpongeBob finds a group of citizens who were putting on an annual event, which was reenacting the historical Battle of Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob and Patrick approach them and then SpongeBob ask one of the soldiers where did him and his friends get their cool outfits. However, the fish stated that he didn't have friends and that he hates just about everyone here. SpongeBob then hears about the Battle of Bikini Bottom. He is told that there were two factions, the clean, who spend all their time washing their hands and the dirty, who had better things to do then wash their hands. They then had a war over who is better. Patrick tells SpongeBob the tale wrong, saying that the dirty won, annoying the other fish, and making them walk away. SpongeBob and Patrick begin to argue and then they get uniforms and start their own war. After many times of attacking each other, SpongeBob gets dirtier while Patrick ends up cleaner. Patrick then picks his nose and chases SpongeBob into the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob runs by Mr. Krabs yelling that Patrick is digging for "gold", which he takes for real. SpongeBob attacks Patrick with food until Patrick grabs two Krabby Patties and uses them for socks. Angrily, SpongeBob fills up with fury making him blow up. Outside SpongeBob swallows a soap bar while Patrick picks up a trash can and then they attack each other. The fish reenacting the battle come and see the two friends forgiving each other and tells them that it's not over until they have winner. SpongeBob then explains to them to not remember events that divide them, but recall what brings them together. Then the guys who were doing the reenactment chose to something 'more manly': knitting cute sweaters.
- Fife and Drum March - Larry Hochman [title card]
- Shoppers World - Harry Bluestone [opening]
- Colonial March - Larry Hochman ["You mean like those guys?"]
- We Shall Return! 2 - Udi Harpaz [Patrick talks about the Battle of Bikini Bottom]
- Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Ugh! That's not what happened!"]
- Gator - Steve Belfer [flashbacks]
- Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["Well, then, I guess we can't be friends."]
- Colonial March - Larry Hochman ["I am joining the other side!"]
- ? - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gives Patrick a pedicure]
- ? [harp music]
- ? - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick's morning breath/SpongeBob brushes Patrick's teeth]
- The Jitters - Raymond C. Jones [deodorant spray]
- Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["My beautiful pit stink... it's gone!"]
- Team Trophy - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["It's booger time!"]
- Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick picks his nose]
- Inferno - Fredric Bayco [Patrick chasing SpongeBob]
- Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Gold?!"]
- ? - Jeremy Wakefield ["Did you get any of Patrick's gold?"]
- Inferno - Fredric Bayco [SpongeBob throws onions at Patrick]
- ? ["That does it!"]
- ? [patty socks]
- ? - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick throws dumpster at SpongeBob]
- ? - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm covered in muck, scum!"]
- ? - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob, Patrick thinking]
- You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["All right!"]
- Royal Wedding - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob's speech]
- ? - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Pest of the West
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 5, Volume 2
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 5th Season
- It's shown SpongeBob may want to physically hurt Patrick since when they were fighting in the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob looked at the knife before throwing the onions at Patrick
- The Battle of Bikini Bottom could be a parody of the Revolutionary War, judging from the military uniforms.
- This episode was set to premiere with "Banned in Bikini Bottom" but aired with "20,000 Patties Under the Sea" instead.
- In Indonesia, the flashback of ice cream is cut for unknown reason.
- This is the second time Patrick is in garbage. The first being "Missing Identity".
- SpongeBob said that Patrick didn't have a nose, but in "Opposite Day", he had a piece of coral for a nose to be Squidward, in "Survival of the Idiots", he had one made of snow, in "Wet Painters", he pulled a lot of hair from his nostril with the paintbrush, in "A Flea in Her Dome", he had Squidward's nose, and in "No Nose Knows", he had to have one (but that was a future episode).
- Patrick, has brushed his teeth as seen in some episodes, like "Dumped", "Rise and Shine", and "Stuck in the Wringer " (a future episode).
- A scene from this episode was shown in a Raving Rabids: TV Party commercial.
- The soap that SpongeBob raises in the air is like the soap in the movie Fight Club. His pose is reminiscent of Brad Pitt holding the soap on the cover.
- In the "Krusty Krab Training Video" episode, the narrator mentions a war that occurred some time ago. This episode might have occurred during this war.
- In "Sand Castles in the Sand", SpongeBob and Patrick also have a war, but with weapons made out of sand.
- This is the second episode to have the title on a pirate map. The first was "Arrgh!".
- The closeup of SpongeBob's teeth was featured in the SpongeBob game: Cavity Crisis.
- In the flashback, the person who represented the dirty in the bathroom looked and sounded just like Patrick. he may either be an ancestor of Patrick, or a good enough person to show how dirty they were.
- In this episode, it shows that Patrick's eyes are navy blue. Although, in "Wormy", his eyes are green, and in "Oral Report", they are jade. It is possible that his eye color varies between episodes, like his stupidity, as revealed by Patrick in "Tentacle-Vision".
- The name of this episode can be easily mistaken for "Battle for Bikini Bottom", a SpongeBob video game from 2003.
- When Patrick says "Hopping... CLAAAAAMS!", captions say HOPPING... CRABS.
- After SpongeBob pedicured Patrick, the chair and bucket of water in the background is gone.
- SpongeBob also painted Patrick's toe nails red. After he turns to SpongeBob and says "You sick little Monster!' and "Feast my morning breath!". the red nail polish is gone.
- SpongeBob "took" Patrick's nose, but later on during the booger scene, SpongeBob says,"You don't even have a nose."