"The Gift of Gum" is the first segment of the 80th epsiode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
On "Best Friend's Day," Patrick gives SpongeBob an enormous wad of used gum he has amassed over his entire lifetime (fondly referred to as "Gummy"), and SpongeBob finds it a better gift than his own (a robotic butler). However, when he takes it inside, he realizes how disgusting it is, and it even starts to scare him, with a pair of underpants crawling out of the gum and saying in a demonic voice, "You're not Patrick!" First, SpongeBob tries to throw it away, but Patrick catches him in doing so, and he says that he was dressing it up with the garbage can. Later, SpongeBob tries to bury Gummy, but Patrick catches him again, and he says that he dug the hole to be able to look at Gummy from below. Patrick insists that it must be displayed properly, and places it above SpongeBob's doorway. SpongeBob next tries to dispose of it in the night, and in the process frees several people who were literally trapped inside it. He tries to pull Gummy off of his house, and fails, destroying the ball and getting stuck to it in the process.
The next day, Sandy visits SpongeBob's house to see it covered in the sticky remains of Gummy, with SpongeBob hanging above his doorway. She tries to free him by lassoing a piece of Gummy onto a passing truck, which is almost able to pull it away, but is ultimately pulled in by it, hitting SpongeBob's house and causing the gum to explode, completely covering the houses of SpongeBob, Squidward and Patrick, and trapping Squidward and Sandy as well. Patrick then appears, and SpongeBob tells him he can have Gummy back. Patrick then wolfs down all of the gum making Patrick obese, freeing SpongeBob, his friends and their houses. However, he then hiccups a massive bubble, which explodes and covers the whole town in gum.
- Originally, the writers planned to color the gum blue instead of pink.
- When SpongeBob was trying to tell Patrick something about Gummy, he decided to tell another lie because if he told Patrick the truth, then it will hurt Patrick's feelings.
- Robo 2.1 is similar to C-3PO from Star Wars as he has a similar voice and said a similar phrase to C-3PO's when introduced in the episode.
- When Sandy gets her hand stuck in the gum, she takes her hand back out when she saw the truck passing by, as if her hand was never stuck in the first place.
- SpongeBob drives a bulldozer in this episode, but he's doesn't have a driver's license and he still doesn't know how to drive a boat-mobile.
- When SpongeBob is "stealing" Gummy and gets trapped, he is wearing a burglar outfit. However, when Sandy sees him trapped, he's wearing his normal clothes.
- When SpongeBob shows his present to Patrick, Patrick's mouth disappears.
- Patrick destroyed his rock to get Gummy out to SpongeBob. The next time there is an outside scene, his rock is back the way it was.
- The truck driver calls his truck, "Old Blue" even though its red.
- When SpongeBob is giving Gummy back to Patrick, he tells him that it is still Best Friends Day. However, the episode took place over two days. This error is further reinforced by SpongeBob saying "Well, it's still Best Friend's Day..." close to the end of the episode. However SpongeBob could have been trying to trick Patrick into taking Gummy back, or Best Friends Day is a multi-day holiday.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 4, Volume 2
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 4th Season
- SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|