While waiting at the Bikini Bottom docks and shipyard, SpongeBob prepares for summer camp at Sun Fun Island. All of the sudden, Patrick comes running to SpongeBob mentioning to him that he never told Patrick that he was leaving. They both were crying and hugging each other as the other campers went to Sun Fun Island and the "Inferno Island" boat appears. SpongeBob planned Patrick to come to camp with him not knowing they're going to prison camp. SpongeBob didn't know about the camp so well, he thought Sun Fun Island was boring.
The warden greeted the prisoners to Infernal Island, but got assaulted through the sound of cheering from SpongeBob and Patrick. The warden even got annoyed when SpongeBob whispered to Patrick that he felt like eating him (not literally). Patrick felt kind of hungry when the warden mentioned it and he gave SpongeBob and Patrick tires to eat. The warden and the others were assumed about both of them eating the tires. The warden had SpongeBob and Patrick digest the tires in a low, narrow hole with chum buried on top of them. Three days later, the warden let SpongeBob and Patrick out of hole, but they didn't felt punished since they thought it was an enjoyable soap. The warden felted so ashamed that he made the activities very boring and difficult. Apparently, SpongeBob and Patrick thought that the "Coal Breaking" activity was fun and challenging even though they were wearing heavy ankle weights. SpongeBob comes to the conclusion that Patrick and him are having more fun than the other prisoners. Patrick suggests that they do a fun activity altogether, then they would be having the same amount of fun as each other. This hatches an idea in SpongeBob's brain, so he works on a play all night. The warden finds the script and in the morning yells at the prisoners to find out which one of them wrote the paper. SpongeBob speaks out and says it was a play for "amusement and inspiration".
SpongeBob builds a boat for the play to take place in. One of the prisoners notices that they could use the boat to escape. After the play, the prisoners attempt to escape from the island, until they realize that the boat is just a prop then real, leading them to sink. The prisoners swim back to the island, and the warden is now furious. Suddenly, the Counselor of SpongeBob's camp comes to Infernal Island, to retrieve SpongeBob, who was absent from his camp. The prisoners, seeing their chance, all say that they are SpongeBob so they can be taken to Sun Fun Island. The warden asks the counselor what kind of activities they do at his "Sunny Funny island". The counselor says that they make macaroni art, sing campfire songs, and help and support each other. So, at the end the inmates, prisoners, and SpongeBob and Patrick make macaroni art. Patrick confesses that he likes the other island better and so does SpongeBob.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Pest of the West
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 5 - Volume 2
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 5th Season
- The list of campers reads:
- Mattie Mollusk (on Kraus' list)
- Billy Belenny (on Kraus' list)
- Percy Perch (on Kraus' list)
- Tom Tarpon (on Kraus' list)
- Lois Flatfish (on Kraus' list)
- Monroe Timmy (waiting on dock)
- 4 other campers
- This episode was set to premiere with "The Two Faces of Squidward" but aired with "To Save a Squirrel" instead.
- R. Lee Ermey, the portayer of the Warden in fact used to be in the military, just like his character.
- The Warden is similar to the Warden in the novel Holes.
- Camp Counselor Crouse makes his second appearance in this episode. He first appeared in "That's No Lady" as the Get out of Town Fish.
- The plot is
plagiarized fromsimilar to the Animaniacs episode "Boot Camping", where the Warners mistake a basic training camp for Summer Camp.
- It doesn't make sense how the other campers didn't react when they were holding the chum, but when Patrick breathed, they did react to it. It was probably because the chum didn't really have a bad smell, but added to Partick's real breath makes it even worse.
- The title card is similar to Skill Crane, which is also similar to Plankton's Regular.
- Some reruns of this episode skipped the title card and went right to the credits.
- Ironically, it took many days for Camp Counsler Crouse to notice that SpongeBob and Patrick were missing. He may have actually noticed their absence immediately, but it took a while to find them.
- This episode is art directed by The X's creator, Carlos Ramos.
- The episode's title is a reference to Don Henley's song "The Boys of Summer or the Inmates of Alcatraz".
- The Warden is a parody of Gunnery Sargent Hartman from the classic Stanley Kubrick film Full Metal Jacket.
- The Warden is voiced by R. Lee Ermey, the same actor who played Gunnery Sergant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket (Ermey's portrait of Hartman has been parodied in popular culture).
- The guitar Patrick is seen playing resembles a Paul Gibson Flying "V".
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are in the pit the doors closed, but when the chum is poured, it's open.
- SpongeBob's paint brush was lime green, but there was no green on the boat.