|Season 1, Episode 16B|
|Airdate:||February 14, 2000|
|Written by:|| Chuck Klein|
|← Previous||Next →|
The Paper is the second segment of the sixteenth episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
Squidward throws a bubble gum wrapper on SpongeBob's lawn. When SpongeBob discovers it, he asks Squidward if he can keep it. Squidward, who sees the paper as a worthless and useless pile of junk, says yes. SpongeBob asks him several more times to make sure that he doesn't want it, and Squidward assures him that he has no use for the paper, and sarcastically makes him promise to never give it back.
SpongeBob uses his imagination to have fun and do amazing things with the paper, and Squidward becomes jealous and attempts to take it back. However, SpongeBob refuses to give it back, as he promised not to. Squidward desperately begs SpongeBob for the paper, and is not successful until he agrees to trade everything he owns, including his house and shirt. However, Squidward does not have fun with the paper, and realizes that it is indeed completely worthless. Patrick then comes along, takes the paper from Squidward, and throws away his gum in it. Squidward, who has now given up everything he owns for nothing and is standing there naked, asks "Does anyone have sunscreen?"
- Just like "I Was a Teenage Gary", this episode is not broadcast often, because it is paired with a holiday episode. However, starting July 2017, it has started to air on Nicktoons regularly.
- A Squidward dummy would reappear in the fourth season episode, "Squid Wood".
- SpongeBob says that he has always liked Squidward's shirt. He broke a promise he made to Squidward to get it.
- The science-related things Squidward mentions (Erosion, Mitosis) are on the cover of Boring Science Digest: erosion on the back, mitosis on the front under the title. Erosion is when water wears away rock and land, mitosis is when one cell splits into two.
- Clips of this episode were seen on Late Night with Conan O'Brian on November 25, 2006.
- While Spongebob chews the paper to make Origami, you can hear a Snare Drumroll sound. That Snare drumroll sound was later used for other episodes such as "Band Geeks", "The Fry Cook Games", "Wet Painters" "Plankton's Army" and "Krabby Land".
- SpongeBob makes Squidward jealous with his imagination again in the episode "Idiot Box".
- Goof: When the crowd is laughing with SpongeBob, some people appeared twice.
- When Spongebob was playing the music on the piece of paper, it sounds like an advanced version of, "Mary Had A Little Lamb."
- For some unknown reason, whenever Squidward's house gets lifted, it is unknown why there are no water pipes bending or bursting.
- When the crowd is laughing at SpongeBob's joke, for some reason some people aren't laughing, but just waving back and forth as shown by Fred.