- "If only you could see what was inside this box. It would CHANGE YOUR LIFE!"
"The Secret Box" is the first segment of the 35th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob is running towards Patrick's house, ready to go jellyfishing. Patrick says he'll go with him, and then says he has to put away his 'secret box' first. SpongeBob asks him what's inside the box, but Patrick refused to let SpongeBob show inside the box. Despite repeated attempts, SpongeBob is unable to trick Patrick into opening the box (unusual considering Patrick's low intelligence). Undeterred, SpongeBob tries to sneak a peek while Patrick sleeps. Patrick wakes up to catch him in the act (not due to the unintentional clamor created by the less than stealthy SpongeBob, but by the fairly quiet comment "Gee, Patrick sure is a heavy sleeper.") Nevertheless, Patrick forgives him and opens the box. Inside, there is just a piece of string ("A secret string!" as Patrick describes it). SpongeBob comments on how he "should've known", but when he leaves, Patrick reveals to the audience the real secret. If you pull the string, a secret compartment opens in the box, revealing an embarrassing photo of SpongeBob at "that Christmas party". The photo remained unshown until a commercial done in clay aired during Christmas time. It was of SpongeBob ripping his pants. (commercial unaired since 2004, but still seen on TurboNick)
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Halloween
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 2nd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- It is revealed that SpongeBob and Patrick's symbol of friendship is a finger ring that sings, "It's the best friends forever, best friends forever, ring!" when you press a button and has dancing figures of SpongeBob and Patrick.
- One time when this episode was aired, the picture Patrick had in the box was SpongeBob in his underwear.
- SpongeBob reveals that he wears two different balls everyday, he has never been late for work and he was wearing three pairs of underwear at the time. He also likes to dance to "Loading zone" announcements.
- When SpongeBob sneaks over to Patrick's house, Squidward's house is absent.
- In this episode, SpongeBob is drawn as a lighter shade of yellow.
- During the first few months after release, they revealed the embarrassing picture of SpongeBob before cutting to the credits. This picture wasn't the picture taken by Squidward in "Christmas Who?", it was a photo of SpongeBob with a lampshade over his head.
- The picture that Patrick had in his box may have come from a Nickelodeon holiday promo.
- One of SpongeBob's secrets he tells to Patrick is he has never been late for work. But in the episode Hooky, Mr. Krabs tells him, "You're two minutes late". He also arrives late from his break in Grandmas Kisses and has been late a few times after this episode such as New Digs.
- When SpongeBob crashes on Patrick's wall right before commenting on Patrick Star being a heavy sleeper after tripping on his own shoelaces, a picture of SpongeBob and Patrick lands on SpongeBob's head and divides into two pieces, with SpongeBob on one piece and Patrick on another piece. This could be interpreted as foreshadowing Patrick discovering Spongebob and (briefly) proclaiming their friendship to be over.
- A part of this episode can be seen in the 2005 film "War of the Worlds".
- When Patrick calls Spongebob "Peepin' Bob", it is a reference to the movie "Peeping Tom".
- Clips from this episode appeared in the 2005 version of War of the Worlds while Rachel was channel surfing. These clips were either repeated or out of order. Also the clips are synched very badly as the audio is at least 30 seconds off from the animation.
- Patrick makes a reference to "peeping tom" by saying "Hands off peeping bob!".
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|