|"The Two Faces of Squidward"|
|Season 5, Episode 99A|
|Original air date:||November 23, 2007|
|Written by:|| Casey Alexander|
|Directed by:||Alan Smart|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?"||"Banned in Bikini Bottom"|
"The Two Faces of Squidward" is the first segment of the 99th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
The episode begins with SpongeBob and Patrick singing at the Krusty Krab. Squidward becomes very annoyed, so he goes to tell them to stop. Just as he reaches the door, Squidward's face is hit by SpongeBob, who accidentally slammed the door on his face. Squidward ends up needing surgery after what SpongeBob did. After undergoing plastic surgery for two weeks, Squidward suddenly becomes handsome.
At first, everything was going fine, like getting comments from both females and males, signing autographs and getting a ride home in a limousine.
But all that changes when Squidward's fans go crazy and take his stuff to the point where they won't leave him alone. Everything is too much for Squidward so he goes to SpongeBob for help. Squidward wants to become his normal self, so he and SpongeBob race to the Krusty Krab with the crowd following them. Mr. Krabs becomes overjoyed to see everyone at the entrance and begins to name all the prices. While he does that, Squidward tells SpongeBob to slam the door against his face in order to make him normal again. SpongeBob doesn't want to do it, but Squidward threatens to hurt SpongeBob if he doesn't hurt him. So he begins to slam the door against Squidward's face repeatedly, but it only makes Squidward even more handsome. Suddenly, the flying fish's other bowling shoe falls out of the top, and SpongeBob, who was alarmed by it, pushes Squidward out of the way. SpongeBob's push sends Squidward flying dramatically and causes him to hit a pole, while the shoe just bounces off of SpongeBob's head. The blow from the pole causes Squidward's face to become normal again. The crowd, who is disappointed to see Squidward not handsome anymore, begins to walk away miserably, but Mr. Krabs, who is unhappy to see his beloved customers go away, tries to return Squidward's handsomeness by slamming the door repeatedly against his face.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob's WhoBob WhatPants?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 5, Volume 2
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 5th Season
- The episode is banned in some countries due to the constant hitting Squidward with the door, and the two handsome versions of Squidward.
- The original way how Squidward got his face back to normal was that he got hit by a car, but it got changed to a support beam in the Krusty Krab, likely because the original scene would have been too frightening for young viewers.
- Purple Doctorfish, the doctor, differs from his previous episodes in terms of mean behavior and voice.
- This episode was paired with "The Inmates of Summer" during its first airing in Super Stuffed Nicksgiving Weekend 2007.
- This was Charlie Bean's only episode as writer and storyboard director.
- Squidward would again have a change in appearance after a head injury into a baby in "Squid Baby."
- In the scene where SpongeBob is clipping his toenails, there is incense burning in the background.
- During the hospital scene, there is a television set in Squidward's room which Purple Doctorfish said "for the patient's enjoyment," which Squidward can't possibly watch due to the bandages on his head.
- Squidward's head was really broken twice in this episode because before Squidward's face was broken in the beginning, he was shown as a thermometer, and when the mercury was reaching to the boiling point, his forehead breaks off.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are first seen, SpongeBob is not wearing his Krusty Krab Employee Hat.
- The second time they are seen, SpongeBob is wearing his hat.
- This is one of the few occasions when Squidward was acting like a friend to SpongeBob.
- On Squidward's second "handsome phase" it shows that he wears a belt on his shirt.
- Running Gag: Every time Gill Gilliam tries to cut the bandages, SpongeBob shouts: "Wait!" or "Hold it!"
- In this episode, Squidward plays his clarinet well, while in others, he is shown to be very bad at it.
- During the scene where SpongeBob pushes Squidward out of the way to avoid the other falling bowling shoe (and reverting him back to his old self), the opera Pagliacci's aria "
- In the patient's room, when SpongeBob watches television, it shows Fred as a doctor with a female fish.
- When SpongeBob is hitting Squidward repeatedly with the door, you hear some cracking noises.
- This could mean he is breaking some bones or his face.
- Vesti la giubba" by Ruggero Leoncavallo was heard in the background during the scene when Squidward avoids a falling shoe.
- Squidward's second "handsome face" became a famous meme and running gag on the internet, being especially used as a Facebook profile picture or on other social sites and galleries.
- It has also been used in the One Direction fandom, where a mathematical formula shows One Direction's Zayn Malik being added to Squidward's "even more handsome" stage, resulting in one of the guys from The Wanted.
- "Squidward Had a Krabby Patty" is a reference to "Mary Had a Little Lamb." The other two songs are set to "The Can Can" and "She'll Be Comin' 'Round The Mountain When She Comes," respectively.
- This episode's title spoof of the 1957 film, The Three Faces of Eve
- When Squidward looked even more handsome, he resembles Auguste Rodin's The Thinker and Sylvester Stallone.
- This episode seems to be an extended tribute to The Twilight Zone episode "The Eye of the Beholder.
- This episode, particularly the ending, is similar to The Simpsons episode "Pygmoelian", where Moe gets plastic surgery to make himself "handsome."
- In the Krusty Krab, when Squidward's face is back to normal, there are only a few characters in the background as if the others had left.
- When the camera cuts outside, they are back before they leave.
- The floor in SpongeBob's House is brown, instead of the usual sand floor.
- When Squidward walks in on SpongeBob clipping his nails, he is wearing only a towel, and nothing else.
- When Squidward pulls SpongeBob by him, SpongeBob is wearing his normal clothes.
- SpongeBob's legs were unusually hairy and bulged while he was clipping his toenails.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward rush into the Krusty Krab and get chased by the Bikini Bottomites, the Chum Bucket across the street cannot be seen.
- At the Krusty Krab, a red fish in the background only has eye pupils for a moment while Mr. Krabs is speaking. In the next shot, his full eyeballs are back.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|