|"The Way of the Sponge"|
|Season 8, Episode 166B|
|Original air date:||November 25, 2011|
|Written by:|| Casey Alexander|
|Guest(s):||Rich Fulcher as Fuzzy Acorns|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Bubble Troubles"||"The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom"|
"The Way of the Sponge" is the second segment of the 166th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob walks over to Sandy's place to show her a new karate move. He arrives and sees her with someone else, which makes him think she is being attacked; so SpongeBob walks in to defend her, but gets stopped by the stranger's smelly feet. Sandy introduces SpongeBob to Fuzzy Acorns, the greatest karate master ever. Sandy tells him that Fuzzy is here to see her karate skills. She is trying to earn a blacker belt, the highest belt in karate. SpongeBob wishes he had a belt, which Fuzzy overhears and tells SpongeBob that if he wants a belt, he has to earn it. He offers to train SpongeBob so that he can earn a belt. The sponge tries all the tests that Fuzzy gives him, but he fails. Now fed up, Fuzzy tells SpongeBob that he will face against Sandy tomorrow. If SpongeBob passes, he will get a belt, otherwise, he gets nothing.
SpongeBob runs home to train himself and then comes back to spar with Sandy. He does very poorly and is sad. Fuzzy said if he lasted longer, he would have rewarded SpongeBob with the clear belt, but says that SpongeBob is not even worthy enough to wear the belt that keeps his pants up. He also takes Sandy's black belt away for wasting his time with SpongeBob. He leaves and Sandy tries to talk Fuzzy into giving SpongeBob another chance, but Fuzzy never gives 2 chances and wishes to find food. Suddenly, Sandy then gets an idea: She convinces Fuzzy to come to the Krusty Krab to see SpongeBob in action, so he goes (without an air helmet) to see hmi. He watches, and is still not impressed by SpongeBob's agility. He is only amazed when SpongeBob manages to slice Sandy's burger in twelfths with his hand. Fuzzy starts to think SpongeBob is more skilled than he thought, so he tries to attack SpongeBob, but he is so busy that he doesn't notice Fuzzy sneaking up on him. He keeps managing to land some blows. Fuzzy decides he has had enough and tries to finish it, but SpongeBob bends over to get a dropped ketchup bottle, dodging Fuzzy's kick, sending him over to the door of the Krusty Krab. He looks terrible, but Sandy says Fuzzy just needs an air helmet. She gives him one, and he admits that SpongeBob is a worthy karate fighter, and so, gives SpongeBob a black belt. As well, he gives Sandy his blacker belt for proving that SpongeBob does know karate. Without his belt, Fuzzy's pants fall down, revealing his underwear.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 8th Season
- This is the first appearance of Fuzzy Acorns.
- There is a gold belt seen in Fuzzy Acorns' hand in one scene.
- When Fuzzy calls SpongeBob a "Kung Fu charlatan", it is a jab at Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, which had recently debuted on Nickelodeon. It also makes sense since Karate is a Japanese martial art, while Kung Fu is a Chinese martial art.
- The Slug Buddy first appeared in "The Great Snail Race" and would appear again in "Squid Defense".
- SpongeBob's training is a reference to Rocky.
- The episode title is a reference name to Way of the Dragon, starring Bruce Lee.
- Fuzzy constantly replies whenever someone questions him, "No try, only do!". This is a reference to Yoda's quote: "Do or do not. There is no try." when he is training Luke in Star Wars.
- SpongeBob actually was complimented by Fuzzy when he said "a Kung Fu charlatan" because Kung Fu is actually stronger than karate.